Painting Rotors, Opinions Wanted

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I painted mine red when I did the calipers.
Zerofrontbrakes.jpg

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I used the same black caliper paint that I put on the calipers. It holds up well. I think it makes the rotor look so much cleaner. The rust is an eyesore. And, like some have said, a lot of us don't have tons of money laying around for rotors.

MYSLO4-6

SVT97
Established Member
I used the same black caliper paint that I put on the calipers. It holds up well. I think it makes the rotor look so much cleaner. The rust is an eyesore. And, like some have said, a lot of us don't have tons of money laying around for rotors.

Off the topic here, but it was nice meeting at Mustang Week and your Cobra is sweet!!!!

OK back to the normally scheduled thread which is already in progress!!! :poke:

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Noone's trying to say that painted calipers are a show winner. I agree there are better options, but everyone can't do those. The thin ring of silver paint looks much better than the ring of rust. The rust sticks out like a sore thumb, the silver goes unnoticed for the most part.

MYSLO4-6

SVT97
Established Member
Noone's trying to say that painted calipers are a show winner. I agree there are better options, but everyone can't do those. The thin ring of silver paint looks much better than the ring of rust. The rust sticks out like a sore thumb, the silver goes unnoticed for the most part.

Agree 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I painted mine red when I did the calipers.
Zerofrontbrakes.jpg

Next time try painting the entire caliper. Then let the paint sit for 45 minutes till it's soft and use a flat tip exacto knife to remove the tops of the Cobra letters. This way the wall and the area around the letters looks great. Dont do the vasoline or sandpaper.-Shane

Jefe

Established Member
Next time try painting the entire caliper. Then let the paint sit for 45 minutes till it's soft and use a flat tip exacto knife to remove the tops of the Cobra letters. This way the wall and the area around the letters looks great. Dont do the vasoline or sandpaper.-Shane

Is that the best way to do it? Someone else said use chapstick and scrape it off when youre done....

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Is that the best way to do it? Someone else said use chapstick and scrape it off when youre done....

Sounds messy to me, never tried it...and dont plan on it. Try it both ways..see what you like. But if you let the paint sit like I said it will cut away like film or cold butter if you will. Here is what you use. -Shane
IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i think it makes my whole wheel and caliper grab the attention instead of a rust ring.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Guys, if you install BRAND NEW rotors, you spray the hat/center of the rotor with high temp clear before you even install them. that's what i did with my fronts.

the rears I painted silver when I had the rearend out. IMO, I'd stay away from the black/red/yellow, etc.
Remember, the whole point of painting them is to hide the rust and give them the "new" appearance. Painting them a flashy color will just draw attention to the hub of your rotor. Why would you want to do that when there's a beautiful Cobra to stare at.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
painting them a bright eye popping color is just as ugly as painting drum brakes a eye popping color. why point out the flaws.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
yeah thats why i want to paint mine black to match the wheels...it would be less noticeable i think...if it stands out sand it and do it again a different color i guess

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member
Guys, if you install BRAND NEW rotors, you spray the hat/center of the rotor with high temp clear before you even install them. that's what i did with my fronts.

the rears I painted silver when I had the rearend out. IMO, I'd stay away from the black/red/yellow, etc.
Remember, the whole point of painting them is to hide the rust and give them the "new" appearance. Painting them a flashy color will just draw attention to the hub of your rotor. Why would you want to do that when there's a beautiful Cobra to stare at.

Umm how is black going to stand out? Mine are black and you don't even notice them and that's the whole point.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Umm how is black going to stand out? Mine are black and you don't even notice them and that's the whole point.

Well, the rotor is a silver color, so black isn't exactly a close match.

Flat black would look good, but I wouldn't do gloss.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread