Painting home interior

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm closing on a house in a few days and we are going to remove all of the flooring and have it replaced and while it's out we are going to paint the entire (at least most of it) inside of the house.

I looked into using an airless sprayer, but it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth especially with the need to backroll right after the spraying which I didn't know was a thing.

Anyone have experience doing it? Any tips or tricks to speed up the process without paying someone else to do it?

Thanks!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yeah, pay someone. I've done it before and it sucks balls. We just repainted the inside a year ago short of the bedrooms. Even had the ceilings done, and I wrote the check this time. Not worth my time and how much I hate it.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Yup I paid someone when we bought our house. I'd rather have painful dentistry than paint my whole house. I not only hate it but i suck at it too regardless of how much i prep. I can't imagine the carnage if i used a paint sprayer indoors.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm closing on a house in a few days and we are going to remove all of the flooring and have it replaced and while it's out we are going to paint the entire (at least most of it) inside of the house.

I looked into using an airless sprayer, but it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth especially with the need to backroll right after the spraying which I didn't know was a thing.

Anyone have experience doing it? Any tips or tricks to speed up the process without paying someone else to do it?

Thanks!
If you have. A sprayer, it's easy. You don't have to bankroll either. That's for rookies

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Yeah if you already own a sprayer but he probably doesn't, by the time you rent one mask all the doors & windows buy all the paint and the fact that you have never done it before because I have and its no fun. But phoenix is right! you don't have to roll. Right the check!

mdever12

Established Member
I painted for 4 years (exterior and interior). If you don't like it and don't have experience, it's easier to just pay someone.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't mind doing it. I prefer to do things myself rather than pay someone. I have every other Friday off, so I have the time and the house will be empty so I can't cause that much damage.

08mojo

Established Member
We have repainted every square inch of our home inside and out. I paid someone to do the outside, as that was too much for me. One side of our house is 3+ stories due to the grade of the lot, that side also has a chimney that peaks over 40 feet from the ground (not a chance in hell of getting me on a ladder/scaffolding to paint that thing). The inside has been painted over time. I'm with you though, if I can do it myself I will.

If I were trying to do all of it at once, I'd look into a sprayer. I've never used one, but it seems like the right idea if you are doing all of it at once.

oldmodman

Established Member
I had two houses to paint. I hired it out. Not only did they do a better job than I (probably) would have done they were a hell of a lot faster.
I supplied the paint and the 4400 psi pressure washer for the exteriors. They primed, sprayed, and did all the trim and crown moldings with a brush. I only had to have one small area redone. They had not scraped this one piece of wood where a rain gutter had leaked and ruined the pain underneath.
$3200 for two small houses, inside and out. No way would it have been worth two weeks of my time to do it.
The interior and most of the exterior were latex, the wood porches were gloss oil as were the wooden doors. Still looks great seven years later.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Repainting the inside of my house right now for the 3rd time in 34 years. I always like doing it myself and have always rolled just like my smokes....lol. Trim work is the big pain in the ass. Outside is maintenance free thank god.

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Hmmm...I suppose if you have deep pockets just pay someone. Interior painting is EASY. So, just trim it out first, no need to tape everything. Just a fairly steady hand and you will be on a roll. Then, do yourself a favor and get an 18" roller for the walls. It will go on so fast you will be shocked. I just painted the interior of a 2 story TH in just under 6 hours of my time and less than $150 for the paint. Gonna take the savings and have some fun with it. Do it yourself.

Blown 89

Established Member
Don't waste your money on a sprayer, get a roller, the bucket attachments, and an adjustable roller extension pole. Then hit youtube and watch a few tutorials. I think this is the one that helped us....I can't be sure as I don't have audio on the computer I'm at. The cliffs are; use an extension, don't squeeze paint off the roller, do a final pass to even out:

Using that method you can knock out rooms really fast and the paint is nice and thin with an even coat. That's assuming the person that painted the walls before you didn't muck everything up. My son's room had big ridges of old paint from someone that didn't know how to use a roller so we had to sand down the old paint first.

Also...tape your damn trim. Everyone thinks they can paint a straight line and nobody (I don't care if you do it for a living) can. It's the first thing I see when I walk into a house. Learn to tape a room....it's easy, doesn't take but a few minutes, and it looks better. If you have bleed through paint a very light layer of under-color on the paint so that it bleeds under and dries then paint the other color on top. You can use a clear paintable caulking as well. I did that in my son's room where the white wainscot hits the colored wall and it looks amazing and you don't have to wait for another layer of paint to dry. You will get a perfect crisp line every time.

IMO a poor paint job makes or breaks an interior.

_Snake_

Established Member
Roller or pay someone. You'll cuss yourself all day the first time that sprayer makes a mess.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Roller or pay someone. You'll cuss yourself all day the first time that sprayer makes a mess.
Not to mention cleaning that bugger when your done or keeping the filter screen from getting clogged with paint clumps (It happens even if you strain the paint first). A sprayer is a Big PITA.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Pay someone. You, your sanity, and your blood pressure will be a lot happier.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Funny you ask lol...

We just added a 600 square foot addition with cathedral ceilings, and I have painted every room (except the master bedroom/bath, which is next) in the last year or so. Oh, and my 30X40 garage with a 12' ceiling. I've learned a lot during this process...

Check out this site, lots to learn here http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/

I would say that the biggest thing I learned was to use the best paint/quality brushes and rollers that you can afford, I used Benjamin Moore, but Sherwin Williams is good also. Use the green or yellow Frog tape to tape up trim and ceiling corners, that stuff works like a champ. For large/high areas I used an 18" roller and extension, made things a lot quicker.

Think about it, you're putting a lot of time, money and work into it, don't cheap out on paint that won't hold up.

Also don't listen to the naysayers, if you're removing all of the flooring and the house is empty, painting will be a cake walk. Prep is the worst part IMO.

Good luck.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Before you make a decision either way, get a couple of estimates for someone to come in and do it (likely with a roller). The fact that the house is bare and the flooring in removed should bring the cost down because the painter can do the work quicker. If I was in your shoes, I'd have someone else do it. I just wouldn't have the time. I don't mind doing, say, a bedroom, but a whole house? No way.

Users who are viewing this thread