P0174/P0171 Error Code Help

VincodeY

Established Member
Hey guys. Had the P0174 pop up earlier in the week, later on followed the P0171. Found the culprit but don't know where to get the correct pre-formed hose. In the picture, the circled line runs to the back of the eaton. At the opposing end,(the end opposite of the circled) there is a piece that has a bend in it that has collapsed on itself and its been pinched. It's the larger line coming out of the eaton. Question is, where can I find a replacement?
vline.jpg

03' White Snake

Established Member
That line you have circles is a head breather or something. I have a rubber line there and that is where my oil seporator is. It doesn't need to be pre-formed. It does the same thing as the rubber hose on the front passenger side head. I do not think that is your problem. I see lots of people take that tube right out and run stick in filters.

100_0170.jpg

CobraBoatDan

Water Snake
Established Member
Thats the PCV line. I don't see why that would cause those codes. Like the guy above me said, a lot of people just take it out and put a filter or breather on there.

VincodeY

Established Member
Thanks for the advice but I know what you are talking about as I do run the "stick in" or pop filter on my pass side head. I finally found a dealer 30 minutes away with a replacement bend. Got it put back together and cleared the code. Car is running much better now. Before, it would drive fine until you got on it, then it would hesitate and kinda fall on its face. The line in question runs out of the back of the blower. The first bend was actually collapsed in on itself and had cracked in the elbow. That would defiantly cause unmetered air to enter the system which, thankfully, the 02 sensor picked up and threw the code.

Wayneo

Established Member
Its causing those codes because its sucking in unmetered air into the back of the supercharger. When people remove the pcv and put a filter they cap off the connection at the back of the blower. Call a ford dealership parts department and order the pcv hose, or remove it installed oil seperator or filter, would be a good time since you need to spend money anyway

Last edited:

VincodeY

Established Member
^lol, :read:
Thanks for the advice but I know what you are talking about as I do run the "stick in" or pop filter on my pass side head. I finally found a dealer 30 minutes away with a replacement bend. Got it put back together and cleared the code.
That would defiantly cause unmetered air to enter the system which, thankfully, the 02 sensor picked up and threw the code.

Not sure what needing to spend money means, but ok. 11 dollars later and everything is fine. Just posting this info because it has come up in the past without ever being followed up as to the problem and solution.:read:

Last edited:

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks vincodey for posting the solution and I guess there was a time warp from when you answered and wayneo answered:beer:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be the closest to what I am experiencing.

I have an 04 cobra with 91k miles. Bone stock, with the exception of the air box i have installed.

Started getting p0171 & p0174 about 500 miles ago. Cleared the codes once, and they came back again a month or so later. I looked at the vacum hoses on the back of the engine, and everything looks normal.

Sounds like it might be the hose that runs under the back of the blower.

Is removing the blower to check the hose, my only option? I was considering installing the oil-separator that I see some people using. Will that do anything to change my current 171/174 situation?

Also, i have the manual on the blower R&R. Should I plan to replace the silicone gasket? How often are they replaced typically?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be the closest to what I am experiencing.

I have an 04 cobra with 91k miles. Bone stock, with the exception of the air box i have installed.

Started getting p0171 & p0174 about 500 miles ago. Cleared the codes once, and they came back again a month or so later. I looked at the vacum hoses on the back of the engine, and everything looks normal.

Sounds like it might be the hose that runs under the back of the blower.

Is removing the blower to check the hose, my only option? I was considering installing the oil-separator that I see some people using. Will that do anything to change my current 171/174 situation?

Also, i have the manual on the blower R&R. Should I plan to replace the silicone gasket? How often are they replaced typically?

i had issues on bottom of intake,hose hardened and would spin on nipple but not pull off,,i used a clamp,,

i pull intake all 1 piece,,gaskets are reuse if not damaged

the way it sits the front has to come up in front first,back of blower is tight,,i took the whole vaccuum harness off and egr,,the main harness has a plastic push in clamp right in center of blower in back,,

gaskets from ford arent that bad priced

i used 1/4 drive to retighten not having torq wrench in inch pounds,,pinky tight i did,,probly still to tight..but never had issues after

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Thanks. I have seen a few post of it cracking.

I plan to take a look into mine this weekend. I need to replace the alternator and belts. So now should be a good time to tear into it.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
I recently got the same codes, so I decided to 1st check for vac leaks, I used carburetor cleaner to check for air leaks. Well we couldn't find anything, so it was not a leak, so we tried many other pointless things. Finally we took it to the Ford dealer and it ended up being a pcv hose that was pinched. Then we replaced our with a new one, that solved the codes for me.:rolling:

Last edited:

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
Bringing this thread back to life once again because my car threw these codes as well about a month and a half ago. Just verified it with my sct tuner. Car has ran well to me since the service engine light has popped up. Don't have any issues with the ride quality honestly. Where/what do you think I should start looking for to clear the codes since I'm not encountering any problems with it yet? I can also see I can clear the codes with my handheld but wanna make sure I fix the potential problem first. Any intel will help and will be much appreciated!

hotcobra03

Established Member
that link shows hole in elbow..that big of a leak you would know it..instant

here is a link showing all the vac hoses in nice color pics

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=iwu5rkx3eBNCosqpXLQrWQ

i had chased this code..mine was the hose going to lower intake..

it had hardened..it wouldnt pull off nipple but hose would spin on nipple..

i had used a hose clamp and code has never came back...

as you see this is an old thread..im still pushing ours..just turned 350k

i have posted in many other threads on these codes test from the service manual..

Users who are viewing this thread