Votes: 39 27.9%
  • Go kill yourself 4:30's

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Im jealous and wont answer your poll

Votes: 35 25.0%

• Total voters

NXSVTCOBRA

C Weil said:
Do you have billet rods or forged? If you have forged, don't expect them to last very long at those power levels.

give me a break, 700-800 hp he should be fine using 4340 stuff, billets are nice, but are they really worth the extra thousand dollars for the rods alone? there are thousands of cars running high hp with 4340 stuff, i know of one personally, my close friends' 93 coupe 855rwhp using e-bay 4340 rods, they aren't even name brand......

:nonono:

C Weil

Established Member
5.0/5.8 cars are completely different than a 4.6. The don't run the revs and they have more displacement (and more most, less stroke, which makes a big deal), so at similiar power levels the Modular goes through much more stress. Billet's are rarely needed on the pushrods.

I wouldn't trust ANY 4340 stuff at that level, not for any amount of time. Yes, there ARE cars out there with those internals, but there are also 500rwhp cars with the stock powdered metal rods. Smart? Strong? Reliable? Nope!

I have a good set of Eagle, Manley, and Modmax rods in my shop that have failed; some in 03/04 Cobra, some in forged rebuilds. Bent, broken, twisted, you name it. It happens- these AREN'T bullet proof like everyone thinks. Above 600-650rwhp, I wouldn't trust ANY 4340 rod, no way, no how. Not in a Modular. Those are SERIOUS power levels, and half assed internals aren't going to cut it.

And the billets are only about $600 more.

Though yes, I agree, $2000 is too cheap for internals.

Tremor

NO MERCY
C Weil said:
5.0/5.8 cars are completely different than a 4.6. The don't run the revs and they have more displacement (and more most, less stroke, which makes a big deal), so at similiar power levels the Modular goes through much more stress. Billet's are rarely needed on the pushrods.

I wouldn't trust ANY 4340 stuff at that level, not for any amount of time. Yes, there ARE cars out there with those internals, but there are also 500rwhp cars with the stock powdered metal rods. Smart? Strong? Reliable? Nope!

I have a good set of Eagle, Manley, and Modmax rods in my shop that have failed; some in 03/04 Cobra, some in forged rebuilds. Bent, broken, twisted, you name it. It happens- these AREN'T bullet proof like everyone thinks. Above 600-650rwhp, I wouldn't trust ANY 4340 rod, no way, no how. Not in a Modular. Those are SERIOUS power levels, and half assed internals aren't going to cut it.

And the billets are only about $600 more.

Though yes, I agree, $2000 is too cheap for internals.

Internals 2k...Well Im getting discounts, since my freinds work for Ford West..

Either way money isnt going to be an issue on this project.. Please dont post anything that doesnt apply to question...

Since Im taking my sweet time on this.. It will be done right by my 2 Master Techs with over 20 years in the buisness..

Billets will be added.. Not worth risking going forged..

:beer:

:pop:

C Weil

Established Member
I'm a machinist and get all my parts at cost and labor for free, and $2k is still just a drop in the bucket.

Hope you got $20k laying around (at least), as thats probably the minimum it'll be when it's all said and done!

mustangmaniac4l

Grand Poobah SVT Poster
Established Member
C Weil said:
I'm a machinist and get all my parts at cost and labor for free, and $2k is still just a drop in the bucket.

Hope you got $20k laying around (at least), as thats probably the minimum it'll be when it's all said and done!

Holy S**t! Weil, What are you doing up at this hour??? Shouldn't you be :sleeping:

Rob

P.S. How are things w/ your car?

Tremor

NO MERCY
C Weil said:

Well 10k for turbos let alone fuel system upgrade another 2k..yeah its heading toward 20k.. I try not to keep track of that..

Its not Healthy, counting all that money that is spent on this project..

:coolman:

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
sorry to rain on your parade but you better up the cost of internals, good rods/pistons are gonna ruin you around $1k, add in machine work (bore, hone, align-hone, deck the block) if you're gonna do it right..... thats about another $500-$800, new head and main studs or bolts, roughly $300, new oil pump (its recommendable that you change it), new rod and main bearings.. the list goes on, and thats all considering you do the work yourself......

I agree observe this:

Part - Engine Rebuild Price Best Place Link Phone Number
Manley Rods/CP Pistons 2250 VT Engines www.vtengines.com 519-245-1164

Billet Oil Pump Gears 295 VT Engines www.vtengines.com 519-245-1164
Billet Trigger Wheel 79 Houston Performance www.houstonperformance.com 281-893-6080
Main Bearings Modular Performance www.modularperformance.com 248-374-9109
Rod Bearings (x2) 79 X2C Motorsports www.x2cmotorsports.com 818-901-8000
ARP head studs 199 VT Engines www.vtengines.com 519-245-1164
engine gasket kit 139 X2C Motorsports www.x2cmotorsports.com 818-901-8000
Cometic head gaskets 200 VT Engines www.vtengines.com 519-245-1164

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
With 4.10's, I think you'll be in 2nd before the turbos are even at full spool. A numerically lower gear will give you the load you need to let the turbos do the work, versus the gears. A 3.55 will keep your tires from blowing off, too.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Go with the 3:55's, anything else and it'll be a roast fest.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
There's a reason most Supra owners swap out their twin turbo set-ups for a single....

Yes, because the stock twin turbos suck ass and a real twin system for Supras is a lot more expensive than a single. A single is also easier to set up on an inline motor.

wolfsburg2

50 trimmed
Established Member
the reason is the stock twins can't flow enough for big hp. and a simple set-up is usually better than a complicated one. With the advances made in recent years as far as turbo efficiency you can really have the best of both worlds with a single set-up(spool and top end).

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
wolfsburg2 said:
the reason is the stock twins can't flow enough for big hp. and a simple set-up is usually better than a complicated one. With the advances made in recent years as far as turbo efficiency you can really have the best of both worlds with a single set-up(spool and top end).

The stock twins also have a tendancy to burn out at high boost from what I've heard.

[/supras]

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
supra%20pic1.jpg

dillardcobraw76gts.jpg

TSengine.jpg

012.jpg

nummysbeforeffw2.jpg

Last edited:

Tremor

NO MERCY
Blackmagic94 said:
3.27s are better for turbos

Not to sure about that...Ive seen 3:55, and 3:73 setups running in the 9's..

But it all depends on your setup..

Anyone else have ..any Turbo Pics they want to Post..

Users who are viewing this thread