out with the new and in with the old. (build thread)

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
I worked on mounting the wideband tonight, I wanted to put it somewhere where it could be hidden when I was showing the car or whatever. I decided the ashtray was the best spot, mainly because it can be seen while driving and I dont smoke anyway. However It wasn't easy.

I gutted the stock ashtray
img0839dk.jpg

however that was also how it mounted/opened/closed. So I fabricated my own pieces.
img0840bc.jpg

Im very happy with the final result. Eventually I may replace the cigarette lighter with my USB port for my megasquirt system. That way it will be easy to tune the car and also hide it when I want.

now you see it
img0842n.jpg

now you dont
img0841ak.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
well first off I must say RIP Caroll Shelby you were an icon and will be missed.

I got the reverse lights installed.
img0871fg.jpg

first light of day since November!
img0870uwg.jpg

and started the teardown on the motor
img0872tx.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
very nice! what heads/cam/induction are you going with?

I have some mildly worked GT40P heads, a B303 cam and some other misc stuff. Nothing crazy but between the heads/cam/ headers/ bigger mid pipe it should give the car another 100HP over what it was.

1967eleanor

Established Member
the old heads are off, the bottom end looks great!
img0897hx.jpg

but this wont work
img0898jk.jpg

due to my rack and pinion my steering shaft goes right in the middle of where a normal long tube would go, so headers would have to be custom made. so after doing some research I found out its gonna cost me about $2500 for a set of custom 304 stainless headers/midpipe. At the moment I dont have that much cash to lay down, in addition to having the car down for another month for them to be built. I got some headers off a guy last year that were "small block ford", other than that I knew nothing about them, but for 20 bucks I couldnt go wrong. I knew the head flanges were wrong but what the hell. fastforward to today...... amazingly they fit perfect and clear everything! This will be perfect because for a couple hundred dollars I can get the exhaust finished and start driving the car. I will get everything made in stainless soon but for now this will save me time and frustration, as well as give me a template for stainless versions later on.

img0302rs.jpg

img0901kk.jpg

img0902k.jpg

I also received my hydraulic clutch kit, This will give me more room for the exhaust as well as improve the pedal feel over the prone to snapping clutch cable

img0907ul.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
no pictures, but the timing cover and old cam are out. Tomorrow My boss is gonna give me some guidance on installing the new one.

1967eleanor

Established Member
new cam is in, new timing chain, new heads/gaskets/rockers. Just waiting for my header flanges to arrive tomorrow and I can modify the headers and fabricate a new 2.5" mid pipe to replace the 2" currently on the car. Gonna be a long night tomorrow!

img0934sv.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
yesterday With all of the parts finally in I pulled the car out of the back room and over to the main shop to throw it up on the lift to modify the headers and make a new midpipe from scratch. I started at 5PM and did not finish until just after 3AM, it made for a long day but well worth it in the end. The primarys are 1 3/4" into 3" collectors to a 2.5" midpipe, it should wake it up a great deal from the stock 1967 ford non hi po manifolds and 2" midpipe. Big thanks to my friend alex for the extra set of hands and my buddy matt for TIGing them up tonight.

img0941z.jpg

final product(tacked welded by myself but tigged by matt)

img0943jc.jpg

img0945i.jpg

img0947dy.jpg

I even let the GF out of the kitchen to help out
img0942p.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread