• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

out with the new and in with the old. (build thread)

Discussion in 'Pics and Videos Buffet' started by 1967eleanor, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 1967eleanor

1967eleanor factory spoiler delete yo Established Member

Well I haven't really been too active on here lately. But I figured id update you guys on my latest project.

well on Wednesday I said goodbye to the cobra, It was a Great car and I had a ton of fun with it. However I had a gentleman approach me and made me an offer for the car I couldn't refuse. I decided it was time for some new or old in this case.I grew up around musclecars. Ive always loved classic fastback stangs. When the remake of Gone in 60 seconds came out in 2000 watching nicolas cage run from the cops in a modified 67 GT500, I was hooked. I loved everything about the car the look the colors, the sound, ...everything. I said to myself one day I will own that car. So 10 years later here I am.

I've been watching the prices of 67/68 fastbacks for a few years now and they have doubled in price. With the possible sale of the cobra I began looking around for a good clean car. I looked at a couple but they were either complete heaps of shit or way over priced. I finally PMed a guy on another mustang forum who was from conn with a 67. I looked at it and bought it right then and there.

The previous owner bought the car in Tennessee.He completely stripped the car, sandblasted it, and put it on a rotisserie to do the rust repair. He replaced the floors quarters and some other misc metal that had been eaten away. He installed all new suspension disc brakes, fuel lines and just about everything else under the car. He swapped in a fuel injected 5.0 out of a low mileage 94 GT. He purchased a brand new world class t5 5 speed and a 9 inch rear end.

My goal for the car is to make it as movie correct as possible.There are a few clones out there but I have yet to see one that captures teh correct movie look. Including PIAA lighting, correct body kit, handmade PS engineering wheels,moto lita steering wheel. brushed aluminum interior some other stuff.

For those of you that haven't seen the movie this is what the final result will look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way home(pops with a big smile)

[​IMG]

2. 1967eleanor

van full of parts, including a brand new windshield.

[​IMG]

the crack free original dashpad i scored at mustangs unlimited, I have a reproduction one but they fit like garbage and dont have the correct texture. its blue but nothing a little VHT die cant fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent a couple hours last night fitting the shelby trunk and endcaps, being fiberglass they dont just bolt right on. I got the front gap all nice but I have to adjust the unges to bring down the drivers side rear a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not really into football so i rebuilt my heater box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new heater core

[​IMG]

new foam on the doors

[​IMG]

new plenum and duct hoses

[​IMG]

new defroster vents and control cables

[​IMG]

Today after class I worked on the front and rear glass channels. They had 40 years worth of paint and window glue in them so it was quite a bitch, but in the end they had no rust and looks great. I have no school/work Wednesday so im gonna strip the rest of the roof and the sail panels ill put that in epoxy primer so seal the metal. Im gonna spray the glass channels with the pepper gray metallic used on the movie car and have the glass put in next week. Its not gonna be painted for a while, but putting the glass in will allow me to put the interior in, then I can put the windows up and not get the interior all dusty while doing body work.

before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stripper doin' work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all scraped off and wire wheeled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

primed and ready to go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. 1967eleanor

today's update, nothing big I only had about 2 hours to work so. I stripped the paint off the roof, and found some surface rust underneath. So it hit it with the sander with some 60 grit to get most of it off then sprayed some rust neutralizer from eastwood co, followed by epoxy primer. There are a few dents at the rear of the roof that ill hammer/dolly out tomorrow, but so far no bondo!:bowdown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more stripper fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more sanding

[​IMG]

little primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after dinner I stripped the pass side door and fender. I found some good new and some bad,I found a bit of cheese on the pass front fender, nothing too bad but its gotta be fixed, but the good news is the door is perfect, no rust or bondo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stripped the drivers door, once again its perfect with no bondo.

[​IMG]

I also stripped the inside of the pass door that is exposed once the door panel is on, it has a texture to it so I couldn't sand it like I could all of the outside.

[​IMG]

all sanded and primed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got most of the front fender stripped, I'm holding off on the bottom because I have to take the fender down to the bodyshop and weld the emblem holes shut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 1967eleanor

I brought the fenders to the bodyshop yesterday and did a bit of work on them. The drivers fender was fine no bondo or damage, I just needed to weld the emblem holes. The passenger side was a different story however,It weighed about twice as much as the other fender, never good. I ground out all of the old bondo and found a ton "wormholes" Holes created when using a slide hammer. However rather then welding up the holes and doing it right they just caked the bondo on. So I ground all of the old stuff off, hammered and dollyed the dents, welded up the holes. which was a major pain in the ass because the metal was really really thin and it kept burning through. then I blocked the rest.

drivers fender before
    [​IMG]

and after

[​IMG]

The antenna hole on the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

all gone

[​IMG]

and now the start of the fun stuff

notice the bondo in the emblem holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more fun under the bondo

[​IMG]

all gone

[​IMG]

and the worst

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all blocked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last night me and the mad scientist recovered the rear lower seat.

[​IMG]

And the next project while im waiting on body parts will be turning these mint, front seats into something more fitting for the car.

[​IMG]

puts the seat button on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent more time on the trunk today and finally got it fitting as good as its gonna get. I had to install rubber bumpers and take 1/4 inch out of the trunk latch.The drivers endcap is 1/2 inch shorter than the passenger which explains the gap. ill add some fiberglass to get everything to line up real nice.

before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the latch all welded

[​IMG]

and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got some body panels in the mail today. I got the upper scoops, the upper nose piece and the lower nose support. The lower valence is on backorder so I wont have it for another week or two. The scoops fit nice and will only need a little trimming to fit the body contour. The upper nose fit isn't too bad either, its gonna need some blocking/filling to be even with the fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

support

[​IMG]

starting to look like something.

[​IMG]

5. 32V10TH

32V10TH Stroked Established Member

You look like you know what your doing bro... nice!

6. D's01Snake

D's01Snake Motor City Muscle Established Member

dude sweet. keep us updated

7. jsd512

jsd512 Wannabe Ghostbuster Established Member

Sweet project, love to see it when it is done. :coolman:

8. bmoseley

bmoseley who farted? Established Member

hell ya i love it

9. TT SaLeEn

TT SaLeEn Member Established Member

Damn!! Awesome work.
    Cant wait to see it all said and done.

10. N2DAMYSTIC

N2DAMYSTIC WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE Established Member

Love these threads. Subscribing!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. chargedcobra03

chargedcobra03 Living my life Established Member

lovin this build keep us updated

12. VtekII

VtekII Active Member Established Member

awesome

13. Ranman23Player

Ranman23Player New Member Established Member

:bowdown:

14. kbsonicstang

kbsonicstang Owns 1 sick stang!! Established Member

nice project, keep us posted. cant wait til its completely done

15. Co-brat

Co-brat FNG Established Member

I have to say that I cant agree with you more on how most of the "Elenor" cars I have seen look like ass and just dont quite make the grade compared to the actual movie car. Theres always somthing off about the other cars and I cant ever really pinpoint what it is but it "just aint quite right". I hope you are a man of your word and take your time to get it right cause Ive been waiting to see one and say "yep, thats it, nailed it". Are you a bodyman by trade cause it seems like you know what you're doing?

16. b dub

b dub 4.10's or 4.30's??!! Established Member

How are you spraying the primer?

17. 1999riocobra

1999riocobra New Member Established Member

nicely done man, keep up with the great work!

18. Wynn

Wynn Wants 11's Established Member

It looks great. I was never a fan of copycat cars though. This would look great in black paint/ grey accents... like a reverse of the movie car's colors.

19. 99cobra09

99cobra09 "Stock Car" Established Member

Damn, dude you really getting into it, you really want to see it done ASAP. Props to you and your project. Can wait to see more!

20. VNGNCE908

VNGNCE908 VNGNCE Established Member

great job so far and good luck with it. Fiberglass for classic cars is always a pain in the ass.