N2S come get some
Established Member
Just for arguments sake Don Walsh's Pro-5.0 car runs a 10.1 CR

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Double"O" said:
Just for arguments sake Don Walsh's Pro-5.0 car runs a 10.1 CR

I don't know what poweradder he runs, but he certainly doesn't run it on pump gas.

Lets face it, if you can afford to run 116 octane every day, then by all means run 11.5:1 compression with 25psi. However, most people will want to run pump gas and by doing so, they must keep their total effective compression, a/f, and especially timing conservative. With 116 octane, you can run 11:1 compression and crank the timing. Compression, Timing, fuel and boost are the basics of power. Increasing any of them accordingly will increase power. However, the limits exist with pump gas. If you increase compression, you have to decrease timing. If you decrease compression, and increase boost, you will have to decrease timing. However, if you drop compression, and run a reasonable amount of boost, you can run a good deal more timing than on an 11:1 motor.

Blown02

Established Member
Good luck man! Those are good parts.. I have basically the same setup in my 01 cobra motor.. cp pistons (8.5:1) and forged h beams with arp boltts and bearings, etc. etc. the usual.

The 8.5:1 compression loves these twin 57mm turbos.. I know turbos like lowered compression, but do centris? All ive heard, is that they loose alot of tq when you lower the compression on a centri.

nvm, I read quadcammers post above.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I don't know what poweradder he runs, but he certainly doesn't run it on pump gas.

he runs a Procharger F3R, it's 114mm i wanna say.

But you right he runs race fuel

Guys Quad is right on this CR debate

for a Full out race car by all means up the CR

For a DD and pump gas 8.5-9.1 is just fine. 8.5 being better for higher boosted applications in my opinion

Blown02

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Running an 8:5 to 1 compression ratio with a centrifical blower is a mistake because the car is going to feel like a dog until the boost kicks in. Not only that, You will have to spin the blower really high and gear the rear end real aggressivly in order to get decent performance out of the car. A 10 to 1 compression ratio would be the minimum for a centrificial bower set up. 11 to 1 compression would be the hot set up and right now, Griggs Racing has a daily driven Cobra running 11 to 1 compression, a Vortech V2 SQ putting out 10 PSI of boost and an aftercooler and on pump gas, the car is making over 660 HP at the wheels.
Are you insane? 11:1 with boost and pump gas? lol :bash:

UCBeau

DAILY DRIVER

That is what this car will be. I am not going to fill it with VP109 or anything crazy. This will be fun on 91 octane, with a snow kit as a safety measure. I have an a/a intercooler also. Why is this such a hard concept?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
dont worry.

Let cobra racer worry about his slow ass n/a cobra.

Give me a hook and a tow strap and I will show you how my lower compression blown cobra snatches the front bumper off your peice.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
also for "arguments sake" the last time I had a race i dont remember being under 6k rpms but for about a second.

The whole low end torque thing is over rated in my book. It dont mean shit when you are moving.

UCBeau

The general consensus seems to be that cobraracer46 is an idiot. Needless to say, this doesn't surprise me.

Blown02

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
also for "arguments sake" the last time I had a race i dont remember being under 6k rpms but for about a second.

The whole low end torque thing is over rated in my book. It dont mean shit when you are moving.
Not meaning to bash or anything, but the last time I had a raced I dont remember being above 6k rpms for about a second. :poke:

Nazman

Established Member
Blown02 said:
Not meaning to bash or anything, but the last time I had a raced I dont remember being above 6k rpms for about a second. :poke:
Well....in my case.....I'm only above 7500RPMs for a second or 2.... :poke: :thumbsup:

Blown02

Established Member
Nazman said:
Well....in my case.....I'm only above 7500RPMs for a second or 2.... :poke: :thumbsup:
Ive got a forged 01 cobra motor with twin 57s.. my rev limiter is set at 6500rpms... too much stress on the rods once you get higher and higher in the rpms range.. naz, were not talking n/a.

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
quadcammer said:
there is no point in arguing this.
Or looking at your sticky blow smoke up your ass threads

quadcammer said:
cobraracer is blinded by Grigg's nuts. He knows everything about a car that he didn't build, he doesn't own, and he doesn't drive. He knows its daily driven (I doubt it), that it made 660rwhp on 91 octane (doubt it), etc etc. He read about it in MMFF and now he's an expert. He also knows a hell of a lot about blown cobra's, yet doesn't own one, drive one, or build any.
Thankfully, I'm local to Griggs Racing, so When I showed up at the Griggs Factory last month, I had an informative conversation with Griggs about the 11 to 1 vortech cobra and when I looked at it, Griggs pointed out that is runs a masive oil cooler, custom radiator and an aftercooler system to keep temps under control with the 11 to 1 short block. And yes, Griggs told me that the car is driven daily on pump gas, and it made sense to me when I saw all the modifications they made to the car to make it possible. As for building cobras, you can't even install a set of underdrive pullies with out trashing a motor and you have to pay a shop more than once to build motors for your car. :lol: Hell, you even had to have a shop handle an intercooler install. I don't claim to be the Yoda of cobras, but I have experience rebuilding 03-04 cobra power plants under warranty and yes, I my self, will be rebuilding my engine when the time comes instead of using daddies bucks to pay a shop because unlike you, installing under drive pulleys not a problem! :)

quadcammer said:
I've HAD both. I know what both feel like. I know how rich i had to run my 10.5 cr motor. I know that it felt sluggish because of the lack of timing. I know that sometimes gas is not great and with high compression, you are risking your pistons even further.
I guess your parants money didn't go too far at the shop that came up with that combination, now did it? :dw:
quadcammer said:
Who is lunching rods? I make max power at 7200, well short of the rods recommended 8000rpm limit. We don't need billet Carillo rods to make decent power. Oliver I beams are fine if you are overstressing H beams.
Connecting rods do not "make" power. the purpose of a good rod like billet steel Carrillo piece is to guarantee reliability.

quadcammer said:
Centrifugally blown cars will never be torque monsters. They are designed to run at the top end of the rev range. Hence, you use a proper gear, and a proper blower pulley and motor to make the thing work in its powerband.
Run a proper compression ratio with a centrifical car and you can have the best of both worlds= TORQUE and power. The 03 Cobra proved right from the factory that with the right combination, 4 valve cars can have bucket loads of tourque.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Or looking at your sticky blow smoke up your ass threads

As for building cobras, you can't even install a set of underdrive pullies with out trashing a motor and you have to pay a shop more than once to build motors for your car. :lol: Hell, you even had to have a shop handle an intercooler install.

I guess your parants money didn't go too far at the shop that came up with that combination, now did it? :dw:

Connecting rods do not "make" power. the purpose of a good rod like billet steel Carrillo piece is to guarantee reliability.

Run a proper compression ratio with a centrifical car and you can have the best of both worlds= TORQUE and power. The 03 Cobra proved right from the factory that with the right combination, 4 valve cars can have bucket loads of tourque.

owned3.gif

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Or looking at your sticky blow smoke up your ass thread
Thankfully, I'm local to Griggs Racing, so When I showed up at the Griggs Factory last month, I had an informative conversation with Griggs about the 11 to 1 vortech cobra and when I looked at it, Griggs pointed out that is runs a masive oil cooler, custom radiator and an aftercooler system to keep temps under control with the 11 to 1 short block. And yes, Griggs told me that the car is driven daily on pump gas, and it made sense to me when I saw all the modifications they made to the car to make it possible. As for building cobras, you can't even install a set of underdrive pullies with out trashing a motor and you have to pay a shop more than once to build motors for your car. :lol: Hell, you even had to have a shop handle an intercooler install. I don't claim to be the Yoda of cobras, but I have experience rebuilding 03-04 cobra power plants under warranty and yes, I my self, will be rebuilding my engine when the time comes instead of using daddies bucks to pay a shop because unlike you, installing under drive pulleys not a problem! :)

You got a problem with the stickys? then write your own.

Griggs can tell you whatever the hell they want. Until you see the car leave the owners house every morning, follow him to work, and then see him drive home, as well as anywhere else, you don't know dick about how that car is used, what gasoline is used, and what kinda hp the car actually makes on pump gas. A fancy oil cooler doesn't change the laws of physics. :rotfl:

Lets see, 5 years ago, I didn't put the cap on the harmonic puller. Stripped the crank threads. This was not hard to fix, but I chose the wrong shop to do the work. Normally you drill the crank, insert a timesert and you're done. The shop I used did not do this. The engine failure resulted from a number of washers place on the crank bolt, not any action of mine.

The intercooler did not fit properly. The tubes had to be modified to fit. I also have a thing called work, so I can't work on my car constantly. Not to mention that they had to cut down a blower pulley anyway, so instead of mounting it all up, and then having them take it all apart again, I figured that its easy enough to let them do it. Oh, they also had to mess with the abs controller. Why bother messing with it, if they have to anyway.

Daddies bucks? My parents have helped me out with many things, as Im sure yours have as well. Paying for modifications are not one of those things. And yet, im still not sure what this has to do with compression ratio's and boost. I guess you ran out of argument, so this was your best shot.

My parents money didn't go too far at the what the **** did you just say?

Kauffman motorsports tuned the 10.5 cr combo. They also tuned the 8.5 cr combo. The tuner has a 9 second supercharged cobra, what does yours run again? How much money was put into the car has nothing to do with why I didn't like the 10.5 compression.

Its awful hard to "make" power without rods, but once again, your reading skills are lacking. I said that I make max power at 7200rpm. H beam rods are generally good to about 8000rpm and 800hp. I don't think anybody in this thread has a need for $1800 rods, when Oliver Billets will more than hold 1200rwhp and cost about $500 less. Not to mention that H beam failures are quite rare.

Rotfl, the 03 cobra has a eaton blower. It made 370rwhp/370rwtq in stock form. A centri blower running 8psi on a stock 99 cobra makes more torque than that. The reason the 03 has torque down low is the blower type you doofus. Not to mention, the 03 has 8.5 compression.

I also don't understand all the focus on low end torque. With 9.85 compression the NA cobra doesn't have any low end torque. With 10.5:1 compression and a blower robbing 40hp from the motor, do you really think its gonna be more impressive? They don't make power down low without a pos. displacement blower. My 485lb ft is enough to get the car moving nicely, and yet it doesn't spin the tires. Not to mention Im barely into the meat of the compressor efficiency map, I don't have ported heads, and im running 1 5/8th shortie headers. A set of 1 3/4 long tubes, ported heads, and a slightly smaller blower, and the torque numbers would come up in a hurry.

I know you probably won't or can't read the above post, but it needed to be said.

Now go get your 6 quarts of oil out for an oil change professor :loser:

Blown02

Established Member
man I cant stand when someone sees a young guy with a nice car.. they automatically say oh your daddy paid for that huh.. this happens to me all of the time!

GET A LIFE cobraracer46

Also, viperbluelx, who are you saying was owned? I think he owned himself.

UCBeau

the Griggs car is highly modified. Mine will not have those modifications, as it is a daily driven street car that sees occasional open track use. cobraracer46 is a moron, with his head up his ass.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
I don't think he is a moron. I disagree with a bit of what he says (breathers) but all opinions on here are a good thing. I, for one, believe that he has a valid point. Less boost, higher compression equals same net power, what is the difference?

I think people in here are too concerned with inflating (boosting) their dick size with high psi numbers to brag about.

Users who are viewing this thread