Opinions Vary

03SVTscott

Established Member
So I was just thinking about a conversation I had today with a coworker about owning a mustang/cobra. He said "so you paid a lot of money to have a car you don't drive". I said "I bought the car because I like to drive it when I can and I enjoy modifying it and taking it to car show which I do often". He said so "you bought a car to spend money on modifying then you just look at it, at car shows. What is the purpose of that?" I said well I guess cars have been a big part of my life since I can remember especially working on them with my dad." He said that the generally public doesn't think this is a hobby, and he thinks that its ridiculous and a waist of money".

Now I personally don't care what anyone thinks of me or what I spend my time and money on. Honestly I could care less about his opinion, but I got to thinking... Have you all had similar conversations with people that think this way?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You should've told him since he's not your wife to not worry about what you spend your time and money on, and kindly eat a bag of dicks.

And yes, I've had people ask me why I'm so into cars, but they weren't disrespectful about it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So what size is your waist? Kidding aside, I get this crap from my brother-in-law all the time. **** them, lol. Your car, life and do what what makes you happy.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
With cars i think you either get it or you don't. There isn't a whole lot of middle ground. There are those who think of cars simply as a utility or conveyance. There are those who are really into them. A person like this will never understand you or us or our hobby. I grew up in a family that was into fast cars motorcycles atvs offroad ing drag racing etc. So it is 2nd nature to me. On the other hand I've worked with full grown dudes that don't even know what year the car the drive everyday is or what motor it has which to me is just mind blowing. To each their own i guess.

starnsey

Established Member
A lot (probably most) see cars as a tool to get from Point A to Point B. Some people don't give a shit as to what gets them there, as long as it does. Others care about what they look like while they're getting there. Then there are hobby-ists like us that get joy out of tinkering with things. Unfortunately for us, those things happen to be absurdly expensive. Chances are the majority of us grew up working cars with our dads or whatever and that just continues into adult-hood. Some people don't understand that at all. They don't want to get the driving experience, they just want their shit to work without much effort.

I literally have zero close friends that give any amount of shits about working on cars. They like to hear what I'm doing to mine and see it progress, but I would never expect them to modify or dump tons of money into mods like I do.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Yes I've had similar conversations with my own family.

My Favorite one is when my older brother asked me why I put all that fast stuff in the car when the speed limit is 55.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I've had this convo dozens of times. It's like explaining sunset to a blind person or a concert to a deaf person. "Car people" get it - people who view cars as nothing but transportation will NEVER get it. I always ask which camp they are in- whether they are a car person or not. If not, I just tell them they would never understand and move on.

oldmodman

Established Member
I am hoping to get a GT350R and will drive it even less than i drive my 03 Cobra.

I'll never be a Treynor but I will have nine different street legal "things" to drive or ride. And I would rather spend time messing with them than most of what people that don't understand gearheads do.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny, I'll bet a lot of guys who make this dumb statement to others probably own a truck as a second vehicle to occasionally use for utility. So they drive their car 80% of the time and their truck 20% of the time. Kind of comical. Maybe a bit of jealousy plays into this in some cases. Regardless, it's nobody's business what someone else drives or how much they drive it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am hoping to get a GT350R and will drive it even less than i drive my 03 Cobra.

I'll never be a Treynor but I will have nine different street legal "things" to drive or ride. And I would rather spend time messing with them than most of what people that don't understand gearheads do.

Drew, the next time the wife and I are in the LA area I've got to look you up and see your stable. You definitely enjoy what you have. :rockon:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
So I was just thinking about a conversation I had today with a coworker about owning a mustang/cobra. He said "so you paid a lot of money to have a car you don't drive". I said "I bought the car because I like to drive it when I can and I enjoy modifying it and taking it to car show which I do often". He said so "you bought a car to spend money on modifying then you just look at it, at car shows. What is the purpose of that?" I said well I guess cars have been a big part of my life since I can remember especially working on them with my dad." He said that the generally public doesn't think this is a hobby, and he thinks that its ridiculous and a waist of money".

Now I personally don't care what anyone thinks of me or what I spend my time and money on. Honestly I could care less about his opinion, but I got to thinking... Have you all had similar conversations with people that think this way?

Many times. On many subjects. Anytime anyone says, "You're wasting your money on whatever, blah, blah, blah," if you ask them you can probably find they do the same thing. I have a Mustang. You collect stamps. Stamps? Really? For what?

I studied relativity. For what? I happen to find it interesting, and I've got a bunch of books on the subject. You'll see, when physics breaks, I'll be the one standing there telling all the rest of you why your stamp collections are floating off into space. Who's laughing now, stamp boy?

I've got a bunch of books on the SR-71 Blackbird. Cool, but useless. Until the Cold War is back on, and I'm the only guy around who even knows how to start the engines, smile for the camera, Putin!

VegasMichael

Established Member
I've had that conversation. I think everyone has some entity/interest in their life that someone somewhere would find to be a waste of time or money. To each his own.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

When it comes to my money, and other peoples opinions, I give zero ****s

FIVEHOE

Established Member
most of these conversions usually tend to go with me saying "because I can"

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Car people and non car people just don't get each other. But if you look at it realistically and responsibly, your friend is right. It IS ridiculous to spend the amounts of money we do on our cars. Even within the car culture itself are big differences of opinions. You have guys that like show cars and guys that like go cars. The show car guy will spend $10K on a set of wheels and the go car guy will question his sanity when he could've spent that $10K on a twin turbo, fully built engine conversion and had one of the fastest cars around.

Then you have the straight line people and the curves people. They definitely don't get each other. The straight line guys will take a car meant to go around corners and turn it into a straight-line-only car. The curves people will look at them like they're nuts and shake their heads in disbelief and disgust when the straight line guy could've bought an other, more suitable car for the same task. It's all relative. Do what you like. Just do it responsibly. Stay crafty, my friend.

Rct851

Established Member
most people that aernt supportive or just don't "get it" are also the one who are 26 with 2 unplanned children so they don't have any cash to pursue their hobbies.

funny thing about having an expensive hobby is it teaches us how to save for what you want and research it thoroughly. it forms better saving habits in other areas of my life.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My fiancee gives me some crap over having a weekend car.
Don't think she minds the fact that I have the car, just that I never drive it to work. As in if I drove it more often, got more "value" out of it, she wouldn't care as much.
I think the fact that she knows it would be replaced by a Raptor has caused her to complain more about the car lol.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the only person i ever hear it from are my mom and dad. moreso my dad. ever since i told him my car makes me money he doesnt really say much any more lol

And yes, I've had people ask me why I'm so into cars, but they weren't disrespectful about it.

have you looked in a mirror?? :thumbsup:

03SVTscott

Established Member
Funny, I'll bet a lot of guys who make this dumb statement to others probably own a truck as a second vehicle to occasionally use for utility. So they drive their car 80% of the time and their truck 20% of the time. Kind of comical. Maybe a bit of jealousy plays into this in some cases. Regardless, it's nobody's business what someone else drives or how much they drive it.

This is a 100% correct read on this individual. He has a Silverado he now uses for utility he has two "economy" SUVs for daily driving. Lol. So funny you picked up on that.

Users who are viewing this thread