Opinions Vary

sdoo500

Established Member
Going through this at the moment. I am a college student (senior) and just bought a 2013 GT Premium, brembos, track pack, recaros with 13k miles. Literally everything I want. Paid 25k for it which I felt was a very fair price. Everyone at my work thinks I am looney tunes for buying a car like that that I am going to drive on nice days May-November. (I guess it is kind of silly). I put a large amount down and have very manageable payments and will never be upside down on the car.

It makes me very happy is what it all comes down to. Whether it is driving it, researching the next part I am going to buy, talking cars with buddies, going to the track, or working on it, it all makes me happy. I'll never understand buying $200 shoes that I don't wear but have a lot of friends that do and I never tell them they should pick another hobby. It's already been said but non car people will just never understand it. Sometimes I wish I was the type to buy a new Camry and just be excited because it gets 30 mpgs and that's all that matters but I can't imagine not browsing forums every day learning new things. Another point brought up already I thought was a very good point was while it's not a money making hobby for most, it does in an odd sense teach you to save for things you want.

smitty2919

Established Member
Since autocrossing my current car, I have thought back on all the money I have put into cars and have concluded it was a waste of money since I would mod them but never USE the car. I DD all my past cars so I was driving them but anything I did was "because I could".

That being said, I's not my cup of tea to dump money into a car just to putt around in it and bring it to car shows. I have taken the stance that anything I do to a car is functional to improve performance in areas I have discovered (by driving the car hard) are weak links.

I have a friend that has a 2010 SS that likes the car show scene. Spent $2K on a stereo system, Kooks headers and borla catback bought new. Making who knows what on car payments only to have the thing sit in the garage 80% of the time. He has won some trophies at small local gatherings and he enjoys it so whatever floats his boat. By the way I don't look forward to car shows anymore anyways. I see spotless, 100% detailed/restored resto-mod muscle cars with chromed undercarriages as a trailer queen and a useless, non-drivable money pit. I think it also depends on what stage of your life you are in. I'm 28 married, no kids, recently bought house and I'm not into restoring anything. "I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby. Maybe when I'm 50-60 I'll want to restore something...

If you don't own a legit collectors car, you will never make your money back on car mods and resale. So to "keep miles off the car" does not make sense to me. I sold my old 03 Mach 1 because I thought it was "too nice" to autocross and beat on so I got rid of it when the resale value was still up...and the only thing I miss about that car is the looks. I don't miss the awkward driving position (compared to my Camaro) nor the T3650 lol.

JMO on how I view sports cars. I buy them to fully enjoy them. I keep them maintained, so by no means is it falling apart.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
You'll see, when physics breaks, I'll be the one standing there telling all the rest of you why your stamp collections are floating off into space. Who's laughing now, stamp boy?

SVTP quote of the day right there

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
All the time. Thankfully most of my family understands. It is a waste of money but I would rather use my money for something I love than hide it away and never use it. That guy wastes money just like everyone else.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Most people I know get it and don't give me a hard time, except for the wife on occasion, but thats just part of life.

I don't really care for the car show scene. Paying to go park your car and wait all day, sometimes in nasty heat just in the hopes of winning a trophy that likely cost less than your entry fee just isn't for me. I really hate shows where you must drive into the show, but they provide trailer parking a block away.

Now cruise-ins where they are no trophies and no entry fees - I love em and go to them all the time. My car is show and go, but not anything amazing at either. I plan to continue to spread the love around, some more go and a little more show as well.

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
Most of my family gets it. My wife doesn't really "get it," so to speak. She drives a Mazda 3 lease, so she doesn't get why anyone would care about anything other than monthly payment and fuel economy unless it's for practical reasons. She hates loud cars too. Thinks they're just obnoxious and the owners are inconsiderate of others around them. But she understands what a hobby is, and understands that it's no more a waste of money than her 1,000 pairs of shoes and all the clothes she's constantly buying online. So she doesn't bug me about it as long as I don't get too crazy with the spending. She's even onboard with me buying a brand new GT.

My favorite though is when a gaming nerd with $10k in computer equipment tells me that spending money on a car is stupid.

Everything that isn't a necessity for survival is an equal waste of money from a practical standpoint.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Your Coworker is an idiot and obviously doesn't understand what the word "hobby" means.

I hardly ever drive my car and I don't mod it. One, because my interest in cars has fell tremendously after getting older, having a family, etc. Two, because I like my car to be stock. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing cool cars, both stock and modified but I just want to spend my money on other hobbies and on my home.

With that being said I'm constantly hearing the comment "these cars are meant to be driven" and "you should sale it to somebody that will enjoy it and drive it". Well I do truly enjoy owning my car so my response usually is that I would rather burn that mother to the ground than sale it to somebody else.

Steve@Tasca

Same can be said about any hobby, boating, fishing, snowmobiling, massive home theaters, guns and the "collecting" of anything. They're all a waste of money in someones eyes.

It's your money, your life, who cares what anyone else thinks?

-Steve

Skrapmetal

Established Member
My parents get it. They were both the same way at my age, and still are.

My brother gets it. He's more of a jeep guy, but he gets it.

I'm not sure if my wife always got it... then she drove my Lightning. Now she wants a Raptor so bad that she texts me pictures of them every time she sees one.

The people I love get it and love it. That's all that matters to me.

smitty2919

Established Member
Man, the more I hear about members on here and how their wife doesn't get it makes me happier with my wife LOL. Bother her father and brother road race Corvette's

She is even going to be a co-driver next autocross season with me in my Camaro :) Game on.

Not to mention my wife rides/shows horses where money put into that can easily equal my car bobby so she can't complain about what I do ahah.

RSbeast

Established Member
Sure it's wasteful. So is going to the bar, eating out all the time, and vacations. It's something that improves the quality of life. If it fits budget; it doesn't really matter.

It is also a liquid asset. If I buy clothing and shoes that cost $300; the very next day I wear them they might be worth $20. I can have a toy, have my fun and generally get most, all, or more of my money back. Even if I take a loss; I get a return.

I do sometimes wish I spent the money on a nicer year round vehicle; but when it's nice out again, they will be in their 2015 Corrola or whatever blah ass A to B vehicle and if they have any red blood in their body; they will likely be a touch jealous of the guy rocking the open roof low slung sports car turning the heads of everyone else who doesn't think like them.

Probably the same way a girl sneers at another who is wearing all the top designer stuff looking bombshell at a Target or whatever opposite spectrum purchasing is.

I work so I can enjoy my life more. If it was survival only; I'd say just the time spent working is wasteful. When I grew up, I didn't think there was a problem with having too many toys. Toys are always good.

Anyhow, I think this is a Northern problem; or wherever winters suck. I need a winter toy lol.

1cln50

Established Member
I get a load of shit from my family every time I buy a new / different mustang lol.

Just recently bought an 03 mach 1 and its in a garage under a car cover, and WOW people lost their shit on that 1 lol.

but I don't care its fun I like it and want to keep it nice and NOT HAVE to drive it every day

Rct851

Established Member
there is a difference between nosy people telling you how to spend your money vs family that might have an idea of your financial situation and are trying to give good advice. Most probably don't have any money to waste at all in the first place whether it's a disapproved car hobby or the bar .

Lots of financial advice and credit card debt recovery threads to back that up.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
My parents see vehicles as transportation. Nothing more. They have never told me it's a waste, however. I've owned 2 vehicles at a time since college. It did get a little ridiculous when I had a work truck and 3 other playtoys at the house but hey, it's my money.

chao5.0

Established Member
well considering I think its a waste of time sitting watching a game for 3 hours is a waste of time but a lot of people do it, its all a matter of personal preference. at least with a car even if you only drive it occasionally you are still getting use out of it. people need a way to vent or let off steam and this is a way of doing it, so what if its driving to a car show and hanging out with other people, you are being social and enjoying your car. my dad thinks its a waste of money when I mod and race my car(s) but its my only hobby and its kept me out of a lot of trouble and racing has helped me become a better driver on the street as well as the track.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Describing himself as the "general public" is a rather ignorant statement. Car fanatics isn't a cult following and has been been a part of the worlds culture since the invention of the car. That's why motor racing has been happening since

Users who are viewing this thread