opinions: should COMBAT vets have enhanced benefits?

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
what do you think? should there be enhanced benefits for actual combat vets vs vets thats never been in a combat zone?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Generally speaking no...... the only possible exceptions I'd say would be for Military members who receive "event related" awards, which I think some states already do this for CARS etc.

The reason I say "event related" is because many members are getting Bronze Stars as "end of tour" awards. (which IMO is bullshit but I digress) If you get a Bronze Star or other significant award for a specific battle or a specific series of events (like a patrol or convoy that lasts for several days- NOT a whole tour)then I'd say you should be eligible for more education money or perhaps something more for housing or something like that.

You do know that Commanders can award Active Duty members cash awards/rewards for duty they see as conspicuous or significant right?

bwd0311

Established Member
no because purple heart recips already get different benefits and some states do give things for cars and combat destiguest awards awards with a combat (V) so i think its all ready set up that way however i think infantry/combat arms should get payed more in country do to the living conditions and the day to day risk that come with the job. like when i live at fob suwa in ramadi i live in a delapitated biulding with a 55 gollan drum as a bathrm that was burned twice a day and had mostly mres and food wo=as sparatic a best on top of that i patroled 12 hours a day looking to get into some kind of engagenebt. but the marine sitting a camp ramadi is eating 4 times a day lift wieghts at night takjs to his family when ever aand sleeps in a bed if hes hot thats ac if hes cold hteres heat but reseaved non of that funny how it rolls and that money is equal in that fact

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
The reason I say "event related" is because many members are getting Bronze Stars as "end of tour" awards. (which IMO is bullshit but I digress) If you get a Bronze Star or other significant award for a specific battle or a specific series of events (like a patrol or convoy that lasts for several days- NOT a whole tour)then I'd say you should be eligible for more education money or perhaps something more for housing or something like that.

There is a difference between a Bronze Star and a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device authorized. They are different awards with different criteria and a different Awarding Authority.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Oh, and to the question I say yes, but how to regulate it and what actual benefits I don't know. I always did find it a little humerous that the fat bodies in Kyrzegstan, were essentially rating the same pay and the same benefits as say Marines in Sangin. I guess it doesn't matter though, who really does this shit for the money?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
There is a difference between a Bronze Star and a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device authorized. They are different awards with different criteria and a different Awarding Authority.

Yes I understand that- even us poor enlisted foaves get complicated things like that. Being in a active theater and being in Combat are 2 different things. If you serve honorably in an active theater and your conduct merits above a Navy Commendation you should get a Meritorious Service Medal- NOT a Bronze Star. But hey- I'm just an enlisted guy. Not trying to diss your "Bronze Star" if you got one. SIR:nonono:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Yes I understand that- even us poor enlisted foaves get complicated things like that. Being in a active theater and being in Combat are 2 different things. If you serve honorably in an active theater and your conduct merits above a Navy Commendation you should get a Meritorious Service Medal- NOT a Bronze Star. But hey- I'm just an enlisted guy. Not trying to diss your "Bronze Star" if you got one. SIR:nonono:
I was just saying, because I see the two get confused all the time (Junior Officers included). I agree with you on the Meritorious Service Medal being more appropriate most of the time. The award system can be bull shit a lot of times. I have seen some things that haven't made me very happy the past few years. This is why I think it would probably end up being bull shit to figure out who rated exra benefits and what not. I do my best to take care of my Marines when it comes to awards, fitreps, etc. That they are always fair and appropriate for how they have performed. "Even the poor enlisted foaves."

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I dunno, i think if they were to start doing that it would **** the system up for everyone whos a veteran. Although, i think if you were in a Combat Arms MOS or were attached to and actually was in combat out side the wire you should get some kind of other benefits outside the VA

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I joined knowing full-well that I could and most likely would get deployed, and I have great respect for my brothers that have went over there where I didnt. I think the compensation for being deployed is already there. You get special duty pay in various forms while there, if you get injured you have the best care possible with extra benefits the rest of your life.

I dont see how following orders by getting deployed, or for me staying back and supporting from garrison rates more benefits when you're out. If anything they should bump up the pay and such while there.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
only in country and under certain condition's

I completly dont agree with only doing it for combat/infantry MOS's. I'm neither however I'm on a TAC team team (PSD in a way), I work with a shit ton of combat MOS's and do the same thing with them everyday. Plenty of other MOS's are in the same platoons as Infantry soldiers, mechanics, medics, supply, Fisters, (not really combat anymore, more of a support element it seems), why should an number and a letter make any difference when someones out there doing the same exact job?

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
I completly dont agree with only doing it for combat/infantry MOS's. I'm neither however I'm on a TAC team team (PSD in a way), I work with a shit ton of combat MOS's and do the same thing with them everyday. Plenty of other MOS's are in the same platoons as Infantry soldiers, mechanics, medics, supply, Fisters, (not really combat anymore, more of a support element it seems), why should an number and a letter make any difference when someones out there doing the same exact job?

I don't know man... One thing I do know is when I was pounding ground outside the wire everyday for 10months the only non infantry with me was our platoon medic some of the time. lol, come to think of it we were our own mechanics , lol and supply guys never left the wire to do foot patrols. They did some vehicle runs and such but were with heavy support. I did get to see some of the big military (disney land) places once or twice during my tour though. I couldn't believe how most of our forces lived over there compared to my suck...... lol:D

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I don't know man... One thing I do know is when I was pounding ground outside the wire everyday for 10months the only non infantry with me was our platoon medic some of the time. lol, come to think of it we were our own mechanics , lol and supply guys never left the wire to do foot patrols. They did some vehicle runs and such but were with heavy support. I did get to see some of the big military (disney land) places once or twice during my tour though. I couldn't believe how most of our forces lived over there compared to my suck...... lol:D

Yup exactly. I can see in certain circumstances yes, but the only non combat arms guy with us was our medic. Period. There were more than a few times when the wrenches wouldnt even come out to assist us because of black routes. Yeah. i stand by my initial claim of combat MOS only.

KingBlack

Established Member
What about EOD? The job is just as dangerous and isn't a combat role.

12254a885fadccc3b.gif

this is exactly why the army started awarding the combat action badge.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
this is exactly why the army started awarding the combat action badge.

I'm just a dep'r going AF and alot of the EOD guys I've spoken with haven't recieved an AF Combat Action Medal. To recieve a CAM does your CoC have to put you up for it? That could F with alot of people I'm guessing.

KingBlack

Established Member
i cant speak for the AF but in the army for a CIB you have to be in the infantry. So truck drivers getting pinned down and in shoot outs didnt get them, and when they applied for PTSD benefits they lack of a CIB usually got them turned down. women cant join the infantry so they really had it bad. and there are plenty of female drivers medics etc in convoys.

now, if you have direct engagement with enemy fighters and in a combat zone you can get a CAB despite MOS and gender.

if you have a CIB or CAB, purple heart, bronze star (combat) you AUTOMATICALLY get service connection for PTSD, it is a presumptive. the only question is at what percent do you get it.

Last edited:

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
What about EOD? The job is just as dangerous and isn't a combat role.

I don't know about all eod missions but parts of our unit were attached out to eod missions at times.. They always rolled with heavy support from our infantry. I agree it is a dangerous job but from what I seen not too bad. Sure they had to suit up at times but most I saw was done with robots. And come to think of it we found too many I.E.D.'s by walking up on them and or having guys catch shrapnel. Lost a good friend to one of these nasty cowardly devices. I do agree though that anyone driving down a road in Iraq, afgan, is a dangerous situation, but things are a little different when the gate closes behind you and you venture out into the night of downtown baghdad.

Users who are viewing this thread