opinions: should COMBAT vets have enhanced benefits?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Oh, and to the question I say yes, but how to regulate it and what actual benefits I don't know. I always did find it a little humerous that the fat bodies in Kyrzegstan, were essentially rating the same pay and the same benefits as say Marines in Sangin. I guess it doesn't matter though, who really does this shit for the money?

+1, Welcome home man. I always laughed at the airforce and army guys that seem like they are 40lbs overweight, yet they still are still in the military. While there are 40yr old soldier from Lithuania and Germany that are still fit.

AlanSVT

Established Member
AlanSVT and M240bravo both sound like they are just all tough talk!

Like thier total Sgt Slaughters in the field..lol

All pride and tough guy crap aside...the Department of Defense will use you dry...I expect all smart service members to do the same.

Man you nailed it...I am that guy......

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
+1, Welcome home man. I always laughed at the airforce and army guys that seem like they are 40lbs overweight, yet they still are still in the military. While there are 40yr old soldier from Lithuania and Germany that are still fit.

And i laugh at the Marines who talk shit about how their branch is superior and how they are better than anyone whos ever served, yet they leave the Marine Corps after their first enlistment. Yeah, there are idiots and shit bags in every branch dude, consider this as a fact too, the Army has a lot of NG and Reservists going down range to pick up the slack for the other forces only doing 6 month and below rotations., while no excuse, that portion of the military isnt on the same page as the AD guys as far as physical fitness goes.

M240Bravo

Established Member
AlanSVT and M240bravo both sound like they are just all tough talk!

Like thier total Sgt Slaughters in the field..lol

All pride and tough guy crap aside...the Department of Defense will use you dry...I expect all smart service members to do the same.

Oh thats me too. :whine:

truefiveo

Established Member
And i laugh at the Marines who talk shit about how their branch is superior and how they are better than anyone whos ever served, yet they leave the Marine Corps after their first enlistment. Yeah, there are idiots and shit bags in every branch dude, consider this as a fact too, the Army has a lot of NG and Reservists going down range to pick up the slack for the other forces only doing 6 month and below rotations., while no excuse, that portion of the military isnt on the same page as the AD guys as far as physical fitness goes.

Indeed....US Army are the meat and potatoes of this war, these guys endure 12-18 month deployments.
So yea when it comes to endurance these Army Combat troops get my utmost respect before any other branch.

Marines and Air Force deployment rotations are a damn honeymoon compared to how long our Army troops hold down the fort in this war.

Also the Air Force is being filled with prior service combat Marines even taking demotions to get in a tech school on Active Duty.
I've met a ton of Fallujah combat vets who crossed and retrained into Air Force AFSC's so they can have a stable finish and retirement from the military.

I would never frown upon a combat troop to do 4 years and move on...these jobs aren't exactly cut out for older family men, and my utmost respect for those dedicated ole hardcore warriors who do choose to endure these physically and mentally demanding and most of all dangerous jobs after thier first enlistment.

God Bless!

Last edited:

Tunink

Established Member
I would have no issues with increasing benefits/pay for combat oriented soldiers.

How do you pay for it? Destroy the welfare state.

runsonboost

Established Member
Indeed....US Army are the meat and potatoes of this war, these guys endure 12-18 month deployments.
So yea when it comes to endurance these Army Combat troops get my utmost respect before any other branch.

Marines and Air Force deployment rotations are a damn honeymoon compared to how long our Army troops hold down the fort in this war.

Also the Air Force is being filled with prior service combat Marines even taking demotions to get in a tech school on Active Duty.
I've met a ton of Fallujah combat vets who crossed and retrained into Air Force AFSC's so they can have a stable finish and retirement from the military.

I would never frown upon a combat troop to do 4 years and move on...these jobs aren't exactly cut out for older family men, and my utmost respect for those dedicated ole hardcore warriors who do choose to endure these physically and mentally demanding and most of all dangerous jobs after thier first enlistment.

God Bless!

Its because Marines can do in 7 months what the Army takes 12 to do J/K. the Army serves as an occupation force, Marines take positions and move on. The chair force isnt even taking prior service right now, unless there is some kind of special circumstance.

as for extra pay and allowances, i say no. it would be too complicated for anyone to figure out. ****, im still waiting on a travel claim i filed almost 3 months ago. if you signed the contract with your job on it, you knew what you were getting into, plain and simple. IE, i spent 5 years doing 24hr shifts working at the brig. when i signed the line i knew i could either end up doing field MP or Brig, so i never complained. when you sign a contract that says 03XX you should know your gunna be sleeping in a shit hole, eating dirt and kicking ass, its what grunts do. if you werent expecting it then you should have done your research. there is already extra allowances for overseas duty, haz. duty pay and so on.

203Cree

Established Member
No difference. We all volunteered. Some just never get the order to go down range. It's not their fault, so why should they get any less, even though they were prepared to do the same as I and many others?

Purple hearts and MoH recipients are the only one's who should get special treatment for anything. The rest are just doing their jobs.

You ground pounders, sorry.... you volunteered just like the rest of us. You knew you were getting a shitty job from the start. Don't see why making that choice should qualify you for extra pay, because as I said, you're just doing your job.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You all must be E1s or something the why you are bitchingabout this.

YOU picked your job! Do it, and if you don't like it get out after your first enlistment.

If you wanted to sit on your butt and get ribbons you should have picked a easy job.
Well no shit you were in the army, its easy as hell to be in the army. Also while you are still in, I am a civilian and have been for over a year. And also again, easy jobs dont get ribbons. The grunts always got more ribbons and rightfully so!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Sheesh. Here we go?

Here is one Marines opinion. Each branch has a specific function. WE ALL do our functions well. Marines are best at what we do- I have zero shame in saying that. Our intended function is amphibious shock troops. We in fact do it better than anyone else in the world. We INVENTED amphibious doctrine. The other branches have their specific functions that they do better than anybody else. Do we overlap? Of course.... We can all do each others jobs- just not as well as the branch that has it as a main function. And quite crying the blues about reservists going forward- THATS EVERY BRANCH!!! We ALL use reservists as stop gaps in billets and missions that are critical. This isn't new and you aren't special. Talk about Marines being cocky- look in the mirror bro!!

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Sheesh. Here we go?

Here is one Marines opinion. Each branch has a specific function. WE ALL do our functions well. Marines are best at what we do- I have zero shame in saying that. Our intended function is amphibious shock troops. We in fact do it better than anyone else in the world. We INVENTED amphibious doctrine. The other branches have their specific functions that they do better than anybody else. Do we overlap? Of course.... We can all do each others jobs- just not as well as the branch that has it as a main function. And quite crying the blues about reservists going forward- THATS EVERY BRANCH!!! We ALL use reservists as stop gaps in billets and missions that are critical. This isn't new and you aren't special. Talk about Marines being cocky- look in the mirror bro!!

I never attacked what Marines do dude, nor would i. I merely stated facts. You look at the ratio for deployed service members who were activated from reservist and NG units compared by branch and the Army clearly has the majority of forces in that area. This would NOT be as big of an issue if the Marine Corps simply extended their deployments out to 12 months alongside of the Army's. I think its pretty much BS that you would even say one branch does their job better than the other, when comparing the Army and Marine Corps, the same job is being done and the only difference between how its being done is that the Army does it for longer. The Marine Corps comes in, does their thing and when their 6 month window comes down, they leave and turn it over to the next MEF. The Army operated the same way, except when we are already there for 12-15 months we get extended for another 3-6 months as well. So we are doing up to 3 of your deployments in one rotation! you seem to be forgetting that the Army has tens of thousands of Infantry/Engineer troops who do the same exact thng that the Marines do, so idk where you get off saying that Marines are best at what they do when they clearly are not superior to any other regular force in the military

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I would have no issues with increasing benefits/pay for combat oriented soldiers.

How do you pay for it? Destroy the welfare state.

they get it.. tax free zone and hazardous duty pay.. when they are in theater..

why would they get paid extra otherwise when they aren't in danger?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Sheesh. Here we go?

I'd hate to do the job of a Marine, that's not what I signed up for.. I'm a Tomahawk cruise missile tech in the Navy.. and while were not in the line of fire like the ground troops are, it's not to say that we live a completely hazard free life style.. it's just that we have such a preponderance of fire power that our enemies don't attack us, even in suicide attacks.. (last time that happened, the Navy swore that we'd do all we could to stop it, aka the USS Cole in Yemen getting her side blown out by terrorists suicide bombers)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I never attacked what Marines do dude, nor would i. I merely stated facts. You look at the ratio for deployed service members who were activated from reservist and NG units compared by branch and the Army clearly has the majority of forces in that area. This would NOT be as big of an issue if the Marine Corps simply extended their deployments out to 12 months alongside of the Army's. I think its pretty much BS that you would even say one branch does their job better than the other, when comparing the Army and Marine Corps, the same job is being done and the only difference between how its being done is that the Army does it for longer. The Marine Corps comes in, does their thing and when their 6 month window comes down, they leave and turn it over to the next MEF. The Army operated the same way, except when we are already there for 12-15 months we get extended for another 3-6 months as well. So we are doing up to 3 of your deployments in one rotation! you seem to be forgetting that the Army has tens of thousands of Infantry/Engineer troops who do the same exact thng that the Marines do, so idk where you get off saying that Marines are best at what they do when they clearly are not superior to any other regular force in the military
All I can say is you joined the wrong branch then. I honestly had no intention of joining any branch, till one day i just decided to give it a shot. Signed up for more info, and they next day was contacted and I said I'm in.

Looking at everything as a whole, it is a wiser choice to go USMC, granted you don't get a bonus and some things are a little harder, 7 month deployments and you also get to go on Navy ships and dock in different countries. In 4 years alone I went and stayed in about 8 countries.

Back to thread topic:
Combat vets should get better entitlements. Yes we signed up to be ground pounders but do you think those that never leave the wire, shit in porto-johns, have running showers, eat hot chow, have internet, have phones (basically living state side on base) should get the same benefits?

203Cree

Established Member
Back to thread topic:
Combat vets should get better entitlements. Yes we signed up to be ground pounders but do you think those that never leave the wire, shit in porto-johns, have running showers, eat hot chow, have internet, have phones (basically living state side on base) should get the same benefits?

Again, you had a choice when you signed up. I'm still hot, and away from my family, and in harms way. How does that make it any less shitty?

24hr ops trying to support you guys, sitting ducks for any asshole with a mortar tube and a couple of rounds, or your friendly suicide bomber trying to run the gates. Don't forget about the actual artillery they drop on us.

As bad as kicking down doors or living in a slit hole? No. But that just makes me smarter than you for not being a grunt.

I mean seriously, you guys are all like "Oh I want special treatment because I picked a shitty job out of all the 200 jobs I could do". Doesn't sound very grunt like to me.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
As bad as kicking down doors or living in a slit hole? No. But that just makes me smarter than you for not being a grunt.

if you think grunts are all idiot and stupid you need to take a look in the mirror and have a word with the person you see

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Again, you had a choice when you signed up. I'm still hot, and away from my family, and in harms way. How does that make it any less shitty?

24hr ops trying to support you guys, sitting ducks for any asshole with a mortar tube and a couple of rounds, or your friendly suicide bomber trying to run the gates. Don't forget about the actual artillery they drop on us.

I mean seriously, you guys are all like "Oh I want special treatment because I picked a shitty job out of all the 200 jobs I could do". Doesn't sound very grunt like to me.

You arent fooling anyone but yourself, if you think having to run to a mortar bunker every so often is just as bad as having to fight through complex attacks, ambushes, IED's and SVBIED's, booby trapped houses and sniper fire on a daily basis then you are WRONG. Ive never been one to negate the importance of support MOS but you just reaffirmed why you people get bad raps from us combat arms guys. The people who do the dirty work should get a little bit more in the end cause they have done more.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Wow- if we all did the SAME job you'd have a point but we don't. Who does Air ops better than the Air Force? Nobody. Who does Naval/ Amphibious air ops better than Naval and Marine aviators? Nobody. Who does sustained long term ground fighting ground fighting better than the Army? Nobody. Who does quick strike, overwhelm the enemy by fire and maneuver from the sea better than the Corps? Nobody- that's what I meant genius. This is not an insult to anybody or any other branch.

I can't speak for the Air Force as to why they don't do longer deployments- perhaps someone from that branch can elaborate. But I can tell you about the Corps. For one our deployments are mainly SEVEN months- not six. For another- not all of us deploy for 7 months, some deploy for 14. All this ties in with how we train and what mission we are geared for- you have a complaint talk to the President or the JCS- THEY set our mission which has been Amphibious for the duration of our existence. Given that our main function is quick strikes, and taking ground, why would we be tasked with sustained fighting and HOLDING ground? That's the ARMY's job. Just like the Army isn't asked to board ships and conduct over the horizon attacks from the sea... it's not what the Army is equipped or trained to do. That being said perhaps your troops would be fresher and in better shape mentally if they had a better dwell time ratio. W/E- either way that choice is above my paygrade as well as yours.

So don't get your panties in a twist when I say each branch is the best at their individual missions. I was a COMPLIMENT!!

203Cree

Established Member
if you think grunts are all idiot and stupid you need to take a look in the mirror and have a word with the person you see

Did I say that? Nope. Don't put words in my mouth.

You arent fooling anyone but yourself, if you think having to run to a mortar bunker every so often is just as bad as having to fight through complex attacks, ambushes, IED's and SVBIED's, booby trapped houses and sniper fire on a daily basis then you are WRONG. Ive never been one to negate the importance of support MOS but you just reaffirmed why you people get bad raps from us combat arms guys. The people who do the dirty work should get a little bit more in the end cause they have done more.

Ok guy. You're missing my point. We each have a job to do. We each chose what we do. You think your job is tough, and I agree. All I'm saying is we each had the option at the MEPS station on what we do. Why should you get any more money than anyone else just because you CHOSE to put yourself in the direct line of fire?

We each get shot at.

We each endure the suck.

We each do exactly as we're told.

Personally I don't really care what you combat arms guys think of us. Bottom line is you wouldn't get shit done without us. Every role is equally important in the big picture of things.

Users who are viewing this thread