One of my favorites - 12k-Mile 2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab XLT FX4 on BaT

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can see why. That's a nice truck that still looks good today. Super low miles.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My parents picked up a used ‘99 that was very similar to this.

It had either been flooded, or driven in salt water at some point because it rusted to hell. Doors, lower panels, brake lines etc…

Was pretty reliable otherwise, and the 5.4 loved getting its rear end a little squirrely.

The one posted here is a good looking truck.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I always thought plug blow out was 99 and 2000 models. It was fixed by 2001 or so.
My 04 broke all 8 two piece plugs. 8 hours for a plug change and 12 beers with the Lisle tool. I tried all the online tricks before attempting it.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
That was me. Stupid 2 piece plugs. Somebody should've been hung for that idea.
I will provide the rope lol

First thing I did on my 06 F250 (v10) was put champion plugs in..... Of course every single one of the two piece plugs snapped during removal.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I will provide the rope lol

First thing I did on my 06 F250 (v10) was put champion plugs in..... Of course every single one of the two piece plugs snapped during removal.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Complete nightmare. Changed mine at 100K all 8 broke on mine as mentioned. Very odd noises running that tool down and breaking the plug.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Complete nightmare. Changed mine at 100K all 8 broke on mine as mentioned. Very odd noises running that tool down and breaking the plug.

Best way I found to remove them was get the engine to full operating temp and remove them with an impact. I never broke a single one using that method.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Best way I found to remove them was get the engine to full operating temp and remove them with an impact. I never broke a single one using that method.

I changed plugs in my 4 thread 99 GT, while she was warm. That was a horrible decision.

Granted you’re talking about removal, not swapping.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have broken my fair share of 3v plugs. The best and most efficient way I remove them is with a 3/8” impact and a one piece socket that has a built in extension. I was a very happy camper when Ford changed the 3v heads in 08 to accept a one piece style plug again.

Users who are viewing this thread