Older guys: What do you still want to do?

Rich B.

Do…… what a great topic. Been doin‘ the past 10 years now. Have walked over halfway around world until Fitbit got greedy. Never any idea how I ever had time to work now. Stopped the weights after half left biceps came undone but arm is OK. 2 retirements coming in- Army and other DoD. Haven’t even touched annuities yet, give excess money to kids each Xmas (usually around $10k). When they can use it, not when I’m finally dead. But still way too in good condition at 76? Corona was easy obstacle, had twice. It’s the flu in Maine you need watch for.

Have established routine for chores, working and watch much of the old TV shows from 60’s. We don’t ask for anything, very self-sufficient. No, don’t use VA. Nothing wrong that much with me and they certainly don’t need my butt there looking for freebies. To sum up- just love it.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
All I can add.
If you can get out of debt as soon as possible you will be happier than you ever were in your life before. You might not have a new toy all the time but controlling your life and your free time Trumps all of that.
Waking up every day and owning your own time is the best feeling in the world.

quad

Established Member
Ben Mallah wants to get rid of all the shit he does no use and buy tax free government bonds!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
While I am not quite as ambitious as you Mr. Snover. I am now looking seriously at what I'm going to do with my remaining years. I retired after 21 years AD and I now have 19 years in with the DAF. I'm eligible for retirement again, but I need to bank a bit more cash in my 401K before I punch out of the workforce for the final time.

So the wife has already stated we are going to buy a NICE touring vehicle and we're gonna drive... all over the USA! Being as my wife is from the Philippines there's a lot of this country she's yet to see. Hell, there's a lot of this country I've never seen. So we're just going to start taking massive road trips to all of the cool places we've never been.

Our son is currently living in England so I have a feeling we'll be taking a lot more trips across the Atlantic to spend time with him, his wife, and our new grandson. Figured while we are there might as well do some touring of Europe.

There is ONE thing on my bucket list I'd really like to do. I want to drive my ZO6 in the Nevada Silver State Challenge. Problem is you need a SCCA license to compete I believe. Since I've never done any type of competitive driving on a closed course (besides some drag racing) I have no idea if I could even qualify to get one. Additionally the navigator in the car is also required to have an SCCA license.

I tell you what I DON'T want to do... I don't want to spend my final years in some facility like my parents. My mother died at 84 of Alzheimer's after 7 years in a home. My father was in a home until he was 95 when he finally passed away with dementia. I'm not going out like that if I have any say in things.

U.M.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After retirement, there's too much to enjoy to, well, do nothing. Live life to its fullness. Don't become idle. Your best days are ahead of you!

Established Member
While I am not quite as ambitious as you Mr. Snover I am now looking seriously at what I'm going to do with my remaining years. I retired after 21 years AD and I now have 19 years in with the DAF. I'm eligible for retirement again, but I need to bank a bit more cash in my 401K before I punch out of the workforce for the final time.

So the wife has already stated we are going to buy a NICE touring vehicle and we're gonna drive... all over the USA! Being as my wife is from the Philippines there's a lot of this country she's yet to see. Hell, there's a lot of this country I've never seen. So we're just going to start taking massive road trips to all of the cool places we've never been.

Our son is currently living in England so I have a feeling we'll be taking a lot more trips across the Atlantic to spend time with him, his wife, and our new grandson. Figured while we are there might as well do some touring of Europe.

There is ONE thing on my bucket list I'd really like to do. I want to drive my ZO6 in the Nevada Silver State Challenge. Problem is you need a SCCA license to compete I believe. Since I've never done any type of competitive driving on a closed course (besides some drag racing) I have no idea if I could even qualify to get one. Additionally the navigator in the car is also required to have an SCCA license.

I tell you what I DON'T want to do... I don't want to spend my final years in some facility like my parents. My mother died at 84 of Alzheimer's after 7 years in a home. My father was in a home until he was 95 when he finally passed away with dementia. I'm not going out like that if I have any say in things.

U.M.
unless they have changed, you dont need an scca license. They have a training course for newbies in vegas at the road course you get signed off on, and then for your first run you are limited to 124 mph if I remember correctly. Go for it. You might want to look up big bend in texas I think.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
What's AD and DAF?
AD = Active Duty (Military) DAF = Dept. of the Air Force.
unless they have changed, you dont need an scca license. They have a training course for newbies in vegas at the road course you get signed off on, and then for your first run you are limited to 124 mph if I remember correctly. Go for it. You might want to look up big bend in texas I think.
I read you needed some form of competition license, maybe not an SCCA license. I also read you could get signed off in Vegas at the road course there and they had licensing runs for Silver State competitors. I just assumed it was an entry level SCCA competitor certification of some sort. Need to do some more checking for sure. The 124 MPH class is fine by me!

U.M.

Established Member
124 is a good speed to be shifting at, but up there that is rental car stuff. Ely is fun and the whole build up is as much to take in as the run if you go along for the comradery. And the shelby tour is always great if Patterson is still involved. If your goint to do it, make sure to bring some bribes and a good story for the hookers choice award.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Good thread.

Only 36 but sometimes I wonder where time is going. Oldest is 9, youngest is close to 3. I’ll have a good pension and 401k by 60. Not sure I have the drive to buy up properties and really set myself up with cash.

I guess I’m pretty simple. Love a afternoon with booze and friends/ family. Can’t ever see myself not wanting to get naked with my wife.

I want to be around to watch my boys grow and experience things above all else. (Even though, the wife time is definitely there too)

Users who are viewing this thread