Older guys: What do you still want to do?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm only 40 but already planning

By 55 I intend to have property outside of any semblance of civilization in Wyoming. A shop, a small house and a few dogs.
I just want to be left alone.

I just wanted to add after 20 years in the military and post military divorce but staying near my kids, I've never lived where I wanted to live. So that's the goal.

So… property in wyo, $50 add in another $150 for a shop. Add in wind, heat and the smell. Is that crude, NG or a antelopes ass that you are smelling? Depends on what corner of wyo you are in. What we call a sheep ranch, is known as the local whorehouse in Wyoming. Sorry, done picking in you. You have been divorced, no need to put you through hell… oh wait, you want to live in Wyoming.( insert Sam kinoson joke here) the devil can’t scare you, he is going to offer you a job! Now, seriously all kidding aside. All of that sounds wonderful… except the Wyoming part. I built cell towers and cell sites all over Wyoming amongst other states. Sheridan isn’t bad but over priced, Jackson is California overpriced, Gillette is a desert shithole with a lot of coal and toothless women. Sorry no love for that state, could go on for hours… great part of it is SO little people, takes about 10 people for a full set of teeth. Damnit that was mean, sorry. I do have a few great friends from there, and they earned every one of my jokes but are great people. That’s where I got the whiskey I drank before reading this thread. Oh well I will accept my lashes tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dusten

Established Member
So… property in wyo, $50 add in another $150 for a shop. Add in wind, heat and the smell. Is that crude, NG or a antelopes ass that you are smelling? Depends on what corner of wyo you are in. What we call a sheep ranch, is known as the local whorehouse in Wyoming. Sorry, done picking in you. You have been divorced, no need to put you through hell… oh wait, you want to live in Wyoming.( insert Sam kinoson joke here) the devil can’t scare you, he is going to offer you a job! Now, seriously all kidding aside. All of that sounds wonderful… except the Wyoming part. I built cell towers and cell sites all over Wyoming amongst other states. Sheridan isn’t bad but over priced, Jackson is California overpriced, Gillette is a desert shithole with a lot of coal and toothless women. Sorry no love for that state, could go on for hours… great part of it is SO little people, takes about 10 people for a full set of teeth. Damnit that was mean, sorry. I do have a few great friends from there, and they earned every one of my jokes but are great people. That’s where I got the whiskey I drank before reading this thread. Oh well I will accept my lashes tomorrow.

You listed towns. I don't want towns.
I grew up near a cattle feed lot and a nuclear waste storage facility, then spent 20 years in navy ships. My tolerance for less than ideal is high. Especially if I can be away from people.

I'd move to Montana but to many ****ing liberals and assholes are moving there.

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
You listed towns. I don't want towns.
I grew up near a cattle feed lot and a nuclear waste storage facility, then spent 20 years in navy ships. My tolerance for less than ideal is high. Especially if I can be away from people.

I'd move to Montana but to many ****ing liberals and assholes are moving there.

Damn they are too! Bozeman and Missoula are terrible! Billings is still ok. I am actually considering a move to out side of town, whether my wife wants to go is up to her. I have been tired of working in or living in cities for over 30 years

lilcoop03

Established Member
right there with ya my dude. Do some research on F.I.R.E. and pump that extra money into investments. The short term sucks balls because you won't have too much spending money but it 10 years you will smile at your retirement money
I already invest 26% of my regular income and I am building my real estate portfolio. I have 2 SF rentals now, 1 is paid for and the other is getting there. I plan to buy as many multifamily units as possible in the next 20 years or so. My wife will be done with nursing school in a year and we can really get the ball rolling then. Cant f'in wait..

Adower

Established Member
I already invest 26% of my regular income and I am building my real estate portfolio. I have 2 SF rentals now, 1 is paid for and the other is getting there. I plan to buy as many multifamily units as possible in the next 20 years or so. My wife will be done with nursing school in a year and we can really get the ball rolling then. Cant f'in wait..
I am of the same mind set. My wife and I invest ~35% of our income. I really want to get into real estate but I'd rather keep investing at this point and then when we retire cash out and buy a couple rentals.

Dusten

Established Member
Damn they are too! Bozeman and Missoula are terrible! Billings is still ok. I am actually considering a move to out side of town, whether my wife wants to go is up to her. I have been tired of working in or living in cities for over 30 years

I'm originally from Montana. My family was from north Dakota. Most moved to south dakota, Wyoming and Oregon.

I need off the west coast. Wyoming seems most affordable while offering what I want.

Zemedici

Established Member
Two tiny problems.
No CDL and no experience. LOL.

my dad had his CDL for some 20 years, had a meat route from ATL to Miami for grocery stores opening up

Loved it

He recently was laid off and looked back into it, and said a lot of companies will pay for you to go to school / reimburse you. Dom is right, I would jump now if you want to do this, could be O/O and literally write your own check.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
my dad had his CDL for some 20 years, had a meat route from ATL to Miami for grocery stores opening up

Loved it

He recently was laid off and looked back into it, and said a lot of companies will pay for you to go to school / reimburse you. Dom is right, I would jump now if you want to do this, could be O/O and literally write your own check.

It's tempting.
Actually there's a third issue - wife loves to travel, but won't do it from a truck.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
On another forum I'm on, a poster got diagnosed with cancer, close to the same location which took him wife 11 years earlier.
Same diagnosis, terminal.

No matter if you're older or younger, life your life the way you want to live it(within reason of course).
Never know when the bells will toll, and they could ring sooner than you think they will.

Sort of brought me back to the poster @gump on here who also shared his medical story with us all that took a turn for the worse unexpectedly

rborden

Established Member
This is actually pretty do-able.

I have already contacted MigFlug and the Mig-29 rides were discontinued in 2017.

The Sokol Air Base where the MiG’s are manufactured and tested was sold to another defense contractor. The new contractor did a base audit and determined the joy rides were more costly than they were beneficial and they ended the program.

There’s a program in France that gives rides in the Dassault Mirage III.

and one in Houston that gives F-4 Phantom rides and A-4 Skyhawk Rides. This is the Collings Foundation, however their FAA Certification has been suspended following the crash of a B-17 2 years ago and as such rides for non-pilot’s are not permitted at this time.

These are currently the only two
programs in the world that offer a ride in an afterburning fighter jet.

rborden

Established Member
I'm originally from Montana. My family was from north Dakota. Most moved to south dakota, Wyoming and Oregon.

I need off the west coast. Wyoming seems most affordable while offering what I want.

30-40 miles north/north east of Torrington isnt bad. They dont get the crazy Wyoming winds there. Snowfall isnt bad either.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I want to stay healthy (mentally, physically & fiscally), and get even healthier. My focus has moved away from physical things. Don't get me wrong, I want enough to be comfortable. But right after that, I want to find inner peace and solace, to appreciate each moment, to quiet the endless thoughts..... and, with a lot of effort, many of the internal demons have been moved back to the dark recesses where they belong....

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
30-40 miles north/north east of Torrington isnt bad. They dont get the crazy Wyoming winds there. Snowfall isnt bad either.
I lived for a number of years in Montana and Wyoming. Lived in Sheridan, Wyo, went to Collage in Laramie, and the ex wife was from the Lander/Riverton area. All nice places, although Laramie being above 7K feet altitude is different.
You have to go to these places yourself. All I can say for sure is, stay away from Rock Springs, Casper and Gillette.
South Dakota has some appeal for me.
Lived way up in the NE corner of Montana for a few years, then down to the Billings area. I would stick to western Montana if one were so inclined.
My .02 cents

Dusten

Established Member
I lived for a number of years in Montana and Wyoming. Lived in Sheridan, Wyo, went to Collage in Laramie, and the ex wife was from the Lander/Riverton area. All nice places, although Laramie being above 7K feet altitude is different.
You have to go to these places yourself. All I can say for sure is, stay away from Rock Springs, Casper and Gillette.
South Dakota has some appeal for me.
Lived way up in the NE corner of Montana for a few years, then down to the Billings area. I would stick to western Montana if one were so inclined.
My .02 cents

I was born up in ne Montana

Users who are viewing this thread