okay, back by excessive pleading we are offering a RACE handle for the new shifter>>>

2003 Silver

Banned
1268Melberger said:
Hey George...received the orange handle today and it seems too big for my first run shifter. Does it attach like the original handles (red,blue) with the locking nut on top or just by tightening the bolts on the side. If it does attach by just tightening the bolts it does APPEAR to sit higher than the red handle...does that seem right or is it an optical illusion due to the 10 degree rear sweep??

Thanks,
Mick

Hey George...I talked to you today about the orange handle seeming taller than my original run red one. I checked it again tonight and measured it by swinging it around so the top is against the dash. The red one is around 1/2 shorter based on the measurements. The top of the orange rested a part of the way up the "2" station button on the radio while the red was well below it. It seems to be comparable in distance to the pic of the new short version (machined aluminum) compared to your orange.
The orange base is around twice as thick as the base of the red handle and that is about the amount of the difference in height....the orange is comparable in height to the stock shifter IMO. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong on the install etc. (can't believe I am as it is pretty straight forward...take one off and put the other on).

Thanks a bunch,
Mick

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
So this handle will fit a pro 5.0? As I am not really willing to change shifters but do like the look and visual feel of where the handle sits.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
1268Melberger said:
Hey George...I talked to you today about the orange handle seeming taller than my original run red one. I checked it again tonight and measured it by swinging it around so the top is against the dash. The red one is around 1/2 shorter based on the measurements. The top of the orange rested a part of the way up the "2" station button on the radio while the red was well below it. It seems to be comparable in distance to the pic of the new short version (machined aluminum) compared to your orange.
The orange base is around twice as thick as the base of the red handle and that is about the amount of the difference in height....the orange is comparable in height to the stock shifter IMO. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong on the install etc. (can't believe I am as it is pretty straight forward...take one off and put the other on).

Thanks a bunch,
Mick

the base on the 2 handles are the same exact thickness as we have never changed this part due to fixtures we already made. the only change that makes it look taller is the fact that the threaded metal shaft on the new handle is longer than on your red so it looks taller than the red when the shift knob is NOT on the handle. this was done because people complained that the knob would bottom out on the shaft and crush the little foam insert ion the boot. all you would need to do is thread the knob on a little further. if you have an aftermarket knob that does not allow this you can cut off some of the threads on the metal shaft. or send it in and we can put a short threaded shaft on it for you.

give me a call when you get a chance :)

there is no way the handle is the same a stock height though?????
i have the measurement and the stock handle is over an inch taller.

george

Last edited:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
03 SeRpEnT said:
So this handle will fit a pro 5.0? As I am not really willing to change shifters but do like the look and visual feel of where the handle sits.
]

it will NOT fit any shifter except ours.

regards
george

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
By the way George, thank you very much for the favor I asked of you. I'll tell you, for those who don't already know, MGW is one of the best vendors to deal with. As great as their products are, their customer service and George's personal attention to the customer & their products is unparalleled. This thread is another example of it. Thanks again!
:beer:

RJCobra

Established Member
MGW said:
the base on the 2 handles are the same exact thickness as we have never changed this part due to fixtures we already made. the only change that makes it look taller is the fact that the threaded metal shaft on the new handle is longer than on your red so it looks taller than the red when the shift knob is NOT on the handle. this was done because people complained that the knob would bottom out on the shaft and crush the little foam insert ion the boot. all you would need to do is thread the knob on a little further. if you have an aftermarket knob that does not allow this you can cut off some of the threads on the metal shaft. or send it in and we can put a short threaded shaft on it for you.

give me a call when you get a chance :)

there is no way the handle is the same a stock height though?????
i have the measurement and the stock handle is over an inch taller.

george

Where on the Website can I find just the orange handle to order? I'm having the same problem with crushing the shift boot with my red handle and the stock shift knob.

RJCobra

Established Member
CobraBob said:
By the way George, thank you very much for the favor I asked of you. I'll tell you, for those who don't already know, MGW is one of the best vendors to deal with. As great as their products are, their customer service and George's personal attention to the customer & their products is unparalleled. This thread is another example of it. Thanks again!
:beer:
Have you ever thought about some sort of gasket for the handles of the MGW shifter? Around the circumference of the shaft itself there's probably not enough room but perhaps some sort of rubber washer that slips over the shaft and rests on the lip of the shifter shaft. The bottom part of the handle would then rest on top of that. Not sure it would quiet it down any though.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
RJCobra said:
Where on the Website can I find just the orange handle to order? I'm having the same problem with crushing the shift boot with my red handle and the stock shift knob.

you can call it in at 706-793-1770 until i get it on the site.

regards
george

Users who are viewing this thread