Official 2018 College football thread SEC sucks!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Loose by 14 - ranking unchanged
Win by 12 - drop 2 spots

Only in college football...

Teams like UCF can't give up 40 points and 670 yards to teams like Temple and expect much respect. Still, I think they should've stayed where they were or maybe lost 1 spot to WVU.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Teams like UCF can't give up 40 points and 670 yards to teams like Temple and expect much respect. Still, I think they should've stayed where they were or maybe lost 1 spot to WVU.

Im not saying they should have moved up but 2 spots is bullshit. The double standard is real. Oklahoma (#3 at the time) beat un-ranked Baylor by 8 points last year (49-41) and didnt drop. In 16 Oklahoma (5) and Texas Tech (unranked) go for 1700+ yards total offense and it's looked at as some great offensive shootout - not a failure of Oklahoma's defense.

I dunno what the deal is with UCF's first half defense - gave up nearly 500 yards in the first half, second half was like 225 yards and one touchdown I think. The same shit against Memphis, first half couldnt stop anything. The second half was lower yardage and 0 points

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
UCF has a horrific strength of schedule. I'm not saying your Big 12 examples are unheard, or "better" than what UCF is doing. Just that UCF needs to impress more than those other teams because of the teams that they are playing week in and week out, dont look as strong or have the athletes that those others schools "supposedly" have. If UCF feels slighted, then they need to join a power 5 conference and go through the grind of a tougher schedule to show everyone that they are deserving. That's what everyone is pointing to.
I cant disagree with the SOS metrics, but I can disagree with UCF dropping spots while UK stays put. That's bullshit, pure and simple.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
UCF has a horrific strength of schedule. I'm not saying your Big 12 examples are unheard, or "better" than what UCF is doing. Just that UCF needs to impress more than those other teams because of the teams that they are playing week in and week out, dont look as strong or have the athletes that those others schools "supposedly" have. If UCF feels slighted, then they need to join a power 5 conference and go through the grind of a tougher schedule to show everyone that they are deserving. That's what everyone is pointing to.
I cant disagree with the SOS metrics, but I can disagree with UCF dropping spots while UK stays put. That's bullshit, pure and simple.

agreed on the strength of schedule and some of the teams they beat were playing very poorly at the time. Three of them now have winning records and Pitt is leading their division of the acc (I realize thats not saying a whole hell of a lot but still...its a lot better than no teams with winning records)

People make it sound like it's so easy to just change conferences but that's not the case. UCF was Conference USA 07-12, aac 12-current. They tried to move conferences again in 15 or 16 I believe and those conferences decided they would not consider expansion until something ridiculous like 2025. There's already SEC and ACC teams in FL, if they bring UCF in they don't get an increase in TV revenue the way the contracts are and now they have to share $ with UCF - why would they want to do that?

There's not a set path for advancement. UCF has annual revenue 55ish million, every other team in the top 10 (as of last week's rankings) is over 100 million with some up around 175 milllion per year. They don't want more teams taking a slice and it seems like once you've made it there you can largely be crap for forever and not get the boot, you just keep getting paid

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
agreed on the strength of schedule and some of the teams they beat were playing very poorly at the time. Three of them now have winning records and Pitt is leading their division of the acc (I realize thats not saying a whole hell of a lot but still...its a lot better than no teams with winning records)

People make it sound like it's so easy to just change conferences but that's not the case. UCF was Conference USA 07-12, aac 12-current. They tried to move conferences again in 15 or 16 I believe and those conferences decided they would not consider expansion until something ridiculous like 2025. There's already SEC and ACC teams in FL, if they bring UCF in they don't get an increase in TV revenue the way the contracts are and now they have to share $ with UCF - why would they want to do that?

There's not a set path for advancement. UCF has annual revenue 55ish million, every other team in the top 10 (as of last week's rankings) is over 100 million with some up around 175 milllion per year. They don't want more teams taking a slice and it seems like once you've made it there you can largely be crap for forever and not get the boot, you just keep getting paid

Absolutely it's easier said than done to join a conference. What UCF should be doing in the meantime is continuing to schedule some better teams in their out of conference schedule like they had been doing. I do remember recently when Scott Frost proclaimed that UCF "out hit" Michigan in that 51-14 game lol.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely it's easier said than done to join a conference. What UCF should be doing in the meantime is continuing to schedule some better teams in their out of conference schedule like they had been doing. I do remember recently when Scott Frost proclaimed that UCF "out hit" Michigan in that 51-14 game lol.

UCF apparently has some deep pocketed donors that are willing to pay out to get out of this conference and into another but nobody wants to bring another team in.

ya this hurricane shit canceling the Georgia last year and NC this year hurt. It sounds like UCF also insists on a home & home series in these games, I don't know enough to comment on how good or bad that might be. I'm sure there's only gonna be a certain range of teams interested in playing them - a UF or someone like that has nothing to gain. If they beat UCF then they'll just say they beat an overrated UCF squad and if nothing else their SOS gets dinged. If UCF beats them then they just lost a game and any bowl/championship aspirations are suddenly seriously in jeopardy over a game they didn't have to play. As I mentioned above, its not like they need the revenue like a UCF does.

That whole "out hit" Michigan thing must have been from the 0-12 season lol. One thing is for sure - the AD will continue pounding the drum on this. All they can do is keep beating everyone put in front of them, hopefully they drop the ****ing hammer the next few games. So far I'm just happy to see them keep it rolling after undergoing a complete coaching staff change, I was really expecting a drop off until they got adjusted

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Horns Down, forever.
DrK6PU2U4AAI76T.jpg

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I am an aggie, but not the type you detest most. Tech is gonna smack you guys around at Jones AT&T and then Iowa State is gonna t-bag bevo on your turf.
HAHAHA! Talk about "Overrated".Your secondary is gonna get torched against ole miss, like they've been torched all year. Then the perennial ass whipping from LSU is a given. Try not to choke that UAB game away.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
UCF apparently has some deep pocketed donors that are willing to pay out to get out of this conference and into another but nobody wants to bring another team in.

ya this hurricane shit canceling the Georgia last year and NC this year hurt. It sounds like UCF also insists on a home & home series in these games, I don't know enough to comment on how good or bad that might be. I'm sure there's only gonna be a certain range of teams interested in playing them - a UF or someone like that has nothing to gain. If they beat UCF then they'll just say they beat an overrated UCF squad and if nothing else their SOS gets dinged. If UCF beats them then they just lost a game and any bowl/championship aspirations are suddenly seriously in jeopardy over a game they didn't have to play. As I mentioned above, its not like they need the revenue like a UCF does.

That whole "out hit" Michigan thing must have been from the 0-12 season lol. One thing is for sure - the AD will continue pounding the drum on this. All they can do is keep beating everyone put in front of them, hopefully they drop the ****ing hammer the next few games. So far I'm just happy to see them keep it rolling after undergoing a complete coaching staff change, I was really expecting a drop off until they got adjusted

A lot of your bigger schools don't like to do OOC home and homes with schools with little stadiums. They don't like giving up revenue.

The "out hit" game came in '16, Frost's first year there. A lot of history with that doucher. Was very happy when we demolished Nebraska this year.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A lot of your bigger schools don't like to do OOC home and homes with schools with little stadiums. They don't like giving up revenue.

The "out hit" game came in '16, Frost's first year there. A lot of history with that doucher. Was very happy when we demolished Nebraska this year.

Ya UCF stadium currently “only” holds 40 thousand something I believe

I appreciate what Frost did here but not gonna say I’m sad about seeing them get stomped when he took everyone but the janitors with him. Then took a recruit or three and apparently tried to take more

Users who are viewing this thread