Official 2018-19 NBA thread

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Interested to see if this was a blip on the radar for the Raptors or if they just fold like the Rockets and Blazers did when they faced adversity vs. the Warriors.

IDK... its a good question. Both teams played good defense last night which led to sloppy offenses.

I think K Leonard is the real deal. He's an interesting guy... no social media, totally introverted. Kind of the opposite of the current charlatan NBA persona that has taken over the league. Im waiting for him to have a breakout 50 pt game in this series... if he wants it bad enough, he needs a game like that.

Warriors defend him well though, and there are times it seems he cannot find his place on the court. Or he has a nice look at the rim from 12 foot and he passes the ball? WTF?

Michael Jordan was deadly because he was sooooooooooooo efficient from 10-15 foot. You take 30 shots a night from that distance and if 50% of them go in, you have 30 points right there, not to mention a few break-away fast break dunks and 8-10 points from the free throw line (attacking the basket).

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
IDK... its a good question. Both teams played good defense last night which led to sloppy offenses.

I think K Leonard is the real deal. He's an interesting guy... no social media, totally introverted. Kind of the opposite of the current charlatan NBA persona that has taken over the league. Im waiting for him to have a breakout 50 pt game in this series... if he wants it bad enough, he needs a game like that.

Warriors defend him well though, and there are times it seems he cannot find his place on the court. Or he has a nice look at the rim from 12 foot and he passes the ball? WTF?

Michael Jordan was deadly because he was sooooooooooooo efficient from 10-15 foot. You take 30 shots a night from that distance and if 50% of them go in, you have 30 points right there, not to mention a few break-away fast break dunks and 8-10 points from the free throw line (attacking the basket).

True. And I think both teams play very well defensively. Warriors don't get enough credit for their defense, I've said that before.

Its funny, I'm a huuuuuge Showtime Lakers fan, and my brother and I watched Game 7 of the 1988 West Semifinal vs. the Jazz over the weekend. Offenses were so much more "fluid" back them. The Jazz offense was spectacular to watch. It was so well orchestrated and coached. The Lakers were just mesmerizing offensively as well. They got so much credit for their fast break but they were lethal in the half-court set as well. They had four legit threats in the post with Worthy, Kareem, Magic and Thompson. The biggest take away from watching that game was how well teams executed their offenses. Today's game seems so sloppy...high pick and role, get the mismatch, and let your scorer try to score. Its so predictable and leads to sloppy offense and a lot of three point tries when the scorer dishes to a teammate standing at the three point line eating popcorn. Stockton (as much as I hated him) was a master. He ran that team and that offense to perfection. Teams today don't do that. Its more "get the mismatch and playground ball it).

To your point about Jordan, he was an assassin, but those Bulls teams ran a set offense and executed the **** out of it. And if they didn't, Rodman or Grant (depending on which 3-peat you choose) would give you second opportunities with offensive rebounds. Notice that Jordan didn't develop a long range game until later in his career because he could beat you so easily by going to the hoop and playing with his back to the basket from 10-15 feet. Dude was unstoppable, but he played within the offense (triangle) and everyone executed their role to perfection, which I think is the biggest "miss" in today's game.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
True. And I think both teams play very well defensively. Warriors don't get enough credit for their defense, I've said that before.

Its funny, I'm a huuuuuge Showtime Lakers fan, and my brother and I watched Game 7 of the 1988 West Semifinal vs. the Jazz over the weekend. Offenses were so much more "fluid" back them. The Jazz offense was spectacular to watch. It was so well orchestrated and coached. The Lakers were just mesmerizing offensively as well. They got so much credit for their fast break but they were lethal in the half-court set as well. They had four legit threats in the post with Worthy, Kareem, Magic and Thompson. The biggest take away from watching that game was how well teams executed their offenses. Today's game seems so sloppy...high pick and role, get the mismatch, and let your scorer try to score. Its so predictable and leads to sloppy offense and a lot of three point tries when the scorer dishes to a teammate standing at the three point line eating popcorn. Stockton (as much as I hated him) was a master. He ran that team and that offense to perfection. Teams today don't do that. Its more "get the mismatch and playground ball it).

To your point about Jordan, he was an assassin, but those Bulls teams ran a set offense and executed the **** out of it. And if they didn't, Rodman or Grant (depending on which 3-peat you choose) would give you second opportunities with offensive rebounds. Notice that Jordan didn't develop a long range game until later in his career because he could beat you so easily by going to the hoop and playing with his back to the basket from 10-15 feet. Dude was unstoppable, but he played within the offense (triangle) and everyone executed their role to perfection, which I think is the biggest "miss" in today's game.

X100000000000 !!

I friggin miss 80s and 90s basketball. Today's games are hard to watch when you think about how it used to be.

Coiled03

Established Member
Interested to see if this was a blip on the radar for the Raptors or if they just fold like the Rockets and Blazers did when they faced adversity vs. the Warriors.

Blip on the radar, I think. They've got some veterans with championship pedigree that won't let them fold.

Coiled03

Established Member

Kawhi is absolutely the real deal. I love his personality, to be honest. You rarely see a guy who can simply speak the truth, and it sounds almost funny because it's so matter-of-fact. It's refreshing in an era of "look at me! I'm building my brand!" nonsense.

He's also injured, which I think is contributing quite a bit to his performance in the finals so far. I'm not saying he'd go for 40+ every night against the double teams the Warriors are throwing at him. But, he'd be doing more. That quad injury either isn't fully healed, or he aggravated it. You can see he can barely lift his left leg, and doesn't have much explosion.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Kawhi is absolutely the real deal. I love his personality, to be honest. You rarely see a guy who can simply speak the truth, and it sounds almost funny because it's so matter-of-fact. It's refreshing in an era of "look at me! I'm building my brand!" nonsense.

He's also injured, which I think is contributing quite a bit to his performance in the finals so far. I'm not saying he'd go for 40+ every night against the double teams the Warriors are throwing at him. But, he'd be doing more. That quad injury either isn't fully healed, or he aggravated it. You can see he can barely lift his left leg, and doesn't have much explosion.

Thats true and i completely forgot about the injury. He doesnt have much explosiveness and it's absolutely a factor right now.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

The Jazz perfected the "grab the shit out of the guy on the screen" alright.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Can’t believe raptors are gonna take game 4 AT ORACLE! Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Coiled03

Established Member
Amazing how injuries can wreak havoc on a team. But, nobody is feeling sorry for the Warriors when it comes to that.

This series is over, and I was completely wrong lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Right? Me too. I had Warriors but this thing is over if Durant doesn’t come back... which it doesn’t look like he’s going to.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
After someone posted the odds against the raptors I thought about putting $100 down just because, wishing I had now

the ****ing Raptors are gonna win a chip, who the hell woulda thought...I wonder if itll be enough to make Leonard stay

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
nc_oc=AQlr4cqnWiwIs1g3qM-O6d3eFLhVQPudWrCn2x82WJxY6jLlM7GOuD47_K8cGj0v7Kw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
Wow...KD gets re-injured. Might've just cost GS at least this game, and maybe cost himself millions of dollars in free agency depending on the severity.

Coiled03

Established Member
Seriously. He was holding the bottom backside of his foot too, by the heel ....

Hopefully not Achilles!

Agree. That didn't look good. Reminded of when Kobe tore his Achilles, rubbing at his heel.....minus the shooting 2 free throws with a torn tendon part.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
My brother texted me a close up video of that play, and it looks like something snapped in his calf.

Coiled03

Established Member
My brother texted me a close up video of that play, and it looks like something snapped in his calf.

Yeah, I saw that closeup too. Looked like either a muscle, or tendon snapped.

I can't believe Kawhi passed that ball on the last possession! Gutty, gritty win. Not sure that does much but delay the inevitable, but who knows with the way this series is going?

EDIT: They're saying torn Achilles for KD. Man, that's a tough break. I wonder if anyone will offer him a max contract, now?

EDIT2: Not if he opts into his contract, duh. Don't know what I was thinking lol. Looks like he'll be with GS another year, even if he doesn't play much of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread