Octane boost

IA Shelby

Established Member
I run 2 cans to 8 gallons of 93 on my race tune as per Lund

Robert:

That seems quite concentrated compared to the chart Iron Terp listed above.

I am asking because I am a novice.

What octane level are shooting for with the level of concentrate? If I use the chart above as a guide I believe that would equate out to 104-105 octane on a 93 tune??

I am sure I am missing something.

Thanks

bull3441

Established Member
I have had great results with a trunk mounted methanol injection system. It will pay for itself very quickly. I'm able to run 20 degrees of timing and 20psi on 92 octane. I have ran this set-up for 4 years and have over 350 1/4 mile passes with zero issues.
where did you tap for the nozzles? i ran meth for years on my turbo's and loved it. i hear too many mixed reviews on a PD blower.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
What octane level are shooting for with the level of concentrate? If I use the chart above as a guide I believe that would equate out to 104-105 octane on a 93 tune??

Well, there's a bit of a caveat here. With Torco, tests have indicated that it is not possible to increase the octane of the base fuel above 101 PON regardless of the concentration. This is why I have attached (?) after the 101 mixture. When I race, I mix one 32 ounce can of Torco to 5 gallons of 93 octane to get the max of 101. By racing with 5 gallons of gas, you will also be saving about 60 lbs of race weight when compared to a full tank.

Last edited:

rodfarva

Established Member
Torco works. It will allow you to run more timing without experiencing detonation than pump gas alone. Yes, it will turn your exhaust and plugs a rusty color.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Well, there's a bit of a caveat here. With Torco, tests have indicated that it is not possible to increase the octane of the base fuel above 101 PON regardless of the concentration. This is what I have attached (?) after the 101 mixture. When I race, I mix one 32 ounce can of Torco to 5 gallons of 93 octane to get the max of 101. By racing with 5 gallons of gas, you will also be saving about 60 lbs of race weight when compared to a full tank.

Iron Terp - Thanks for the info. 91 is the best I can get in my area. I plan to get a 91 tune and add some torco to be on the safe side.

I assume there are local dealers for Torco? Need to check out their website.

johnjon87

Established Member
the only danger you run with torco is that you have to use it with every fill up and its really easy for things to go wrong if you are tuned for 93+torco and you are out of torco and only running 93. Its dangerous with the e85 tune as well but atleast you can store a 93 tune on your tuner and baby it home. either way you have to really plan your drives after going past 16lbs of boost. I have been told that e85 runs around 105-110 octane and also runs cooler so thats why Im going that route.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
where did you tap for the nozzles? i ran meth for years on my turbo's and loved it. i hear too many mixed reviews on a PD blower.

I have a dual nozzle set up tapped directly into the rear of the blower. I run the meth. injection strictly for the effect it has on decreasing the chance of knock on pump gas with high boost and timing. The mixed reviews come into play when you try to rely on meth to control IAT's........I have a 5.5 gal trunk mounted IC tank and dual fan heat exchanger for that. The other myth is that if the meth stops spraying you will lean out and detonate instantly.....not true....you simply set the tune up to run in the 11.8-11.9 range WITHOUT the meth and then spray down to the 10.4-10.5 range....this would normally be considered very fat but if you are spraying enough meth you will make as much power as you do with race fuel and a leaner A/F mixture.
Some of the guys in the BMC club should look into it.......one common issue betwwen alot of the club members seems to be high boost and pump gas.....cheap insurance with the junk fuel we are all faced with.:beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
the only danger you run with torco is that you have to use it with every fill up and its really easy for things to go wrong if you are tuned for 93+torco and you are out of torco and only running 93. Its dangerous with the e85 tune as well but atleast you can store a 93 tune on your tuner and baby it home. either way you have to really plan your drives after going past 16lbs of boost. I have been told that e85 runs around 105-110 octane and also runs cooler so thats why Im going that route.
Not necessarily. Like E85, Torco is a little bit of insurance and will allow you to get a little more cylinder cooling due to the increased octane. If you run out of Torco and are running straight pump gas, just be smart with your driving style. If you do back to back runs shifting at 6,500 rpm then you'll be running a bit of a risk. Same holds true for E85 and like the example above, if you're really worried, you can always keep your hand held tuner with you and switch to a more conservative tune if not availble.

Just remember, it's the Wide Open Throttle mode that really increases heat and thus the risk. Just lighten up the go pedal a little bit......

johnjon87

Established Member
Not necessarily. Like E85, Torco is a little bit of insurance and will allow you to get a little more cylinder cooling due to the increased octane. If you run out of Torco and are running straight pump gas, just be smart with your driving style. If you do back to back runs shifting at 6,500 rpm then you'll be running a bit of a risk. Same holds true for E85 and like the example above, if you're really worried, you can always keep your hand held tuner with you and switch to a more conservative tune if not availble.

Just remember, it's the Wide Open Throttle mode that really increases heat and thus the risk. Just lighten up the go pedal a little bit......

+1 well said

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Water/meth injection. Snow performance stg II maf kit. Windshield wiper fluid's only $2 a gallon, lol

Black Sex

Established Member
I think running Torco in every tank would be a big hassel unless you only race your car.
I personally would rather just have a conservative tune IMO. Who cares about 20-30 extra hp.

mullens

Established Member
I've used Lucas in the winter months just for some insurance. Never had a problem and plugs are not affected.

evolve

Established Member
So 93oct=620hp at 18psi.
101oct=640-650hp at 21psi???

I think that much of an octane boost would be worth more than that. Maybe 40-50hp?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I run 91 and party with a 'street' tune in both cars.

Would tossing a can of Torco in there with a full tank for road course duty offer me a nice margin of protection? How much power will I lose with upped octane and the street tune still in place?

johnjon87

Established Member
I run 91 and party with a 'street' tune in both cars.

Would tossing a can of Torco in there with a full tank for road course duty offer me a nice margin of protection? How much power will I lose with upped octane and the street tune still in place?

You need to put a can in with a 3/4 tank i believe it is. Just wondering, why do you use 91 and not 93. May as well just go with top of the line IMO

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
He may not have access to 93 octane.

When I use my race tune, I mix 5 gallons of 93 E10 with 32 ounces of Torco. This gives me 100 octane unleaded. You should not lose any power using more octane than your tune requires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread