NY now failing car inspections for tint

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Just when you thought the nanny state couldnt get any worse. Now if you go for your annual inspection and windows are tinted they will fail you. The medical exemption for NY is really strict. I have blue eyes and facial vitiligo so the sun bothers me a bit. I cannot get a medical exemption, yet in other states like FL this is a acceptable reason to get a medical waiver. Unreal.

http://www.whec.com/news/new-car-inspection-law-will-require-check-tinted-windows/4332207/

SHOdown220

Established Member
....welcome to the rest of the US? I can't believe it took them this long, most other states have tint laws and tint is checked during vehicle inspection.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I was just gonna put the windows down and pull the fuse. Its not illegal to have no side windows. only need a front windshield.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Mass is 35% which is basically not tinted at all. But most places around here wont give you shit as long as its lighter than 20%.

oldmodman

Established Member
I can't believe CA doesn't have vehicle inspections, only smog.

Since we don't have snow that requires salted roads we really don't have under body corrosion.
That is what almost all of the non SMOG inspections are designed to catch. Along with bald tires and no brakes.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think 20 is max Tom.

pretty sure its something oddball like 32%

that being said Ive always put 20% on mine. On the F150 its actually pretty dark in the back over the factory tint and now Ive got 50 or 60% on the windshield too (love it, wish I did it back when I did the rest). Around here it seems to be one of those things that if you dont drive like a dick and draw attention to yourself you typically get left alone. I do know campus cops @ UCF can be dicks about it (they sat in the garage behind parking services where everyone goes to pick up parking permits and hit people for tint)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i got a ticket for tint. grabbed a steamer from target for $30. comes off no problem with that.
tint went right back on after the ticket was signed off lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Up here in Connecticut it's 35% for the side windows and any tint on the rear. No additional tint allowed on windshield except above the factory top edge tint, and it must be non-reflective. IMO 35% is sufficient, but I know some like darker windows.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I bet 90% of windows in Florida is illegal.

It's hot and popo knows it! Heck they have theirs tinted also. Not just because of protection either!

bigmoose

Established Member
Here I am in RI where you are not allowed tint on the front side windows, yet MA and CT are 35%.

I contacted my state senator and was told a bill was proposed twice to match MA and CT tint laws but both times it was decided more investigation is needed and sent back to committee.

blue 07

Established Member
It's illegal in NH to have side tinted windows. I know plenty of people who have tinted windows, all of them are wives of or are policemen or firemen, its ok for them to have them ! ? I guess its who ya know !!

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Here I am in RI where you are not allowed tint on the front side windows, yet MA and CT are 35%.

I contacted my state senator and was told a bill was proposed twice to match MA and CT tint laws but both times it was decided more investigation is needed and sent back to committee.

Interesting. By Co-worker lives in RI and he has 20% on all his windows. He got stopped for the tint, but wasn't told to remove it. he got a ticket cause it was to dark.

Users who are viewing this thread