Not new to SVTP but to the Cobra world...

Rock44

Established Member
Flew to Florida last night to check out and eventually drive back an 03 Cobra in Satin Silver. Made a judgment call, the gauge wasn't showing boost and although I had never had a Cobra before, it felt slow. However engine checked out, compression was good, no odd noises, no smoke out the tailpipes, no leaks, underside looked good and trans felt solid with no excessive shifter slop. So I took a chance that the boost issue was a minor boost/vacuum routing issue. Used the issue to talk the guy down further in price. Drove it home 8 hours, got about 280 miles to the tank going 83mph.

Go to investigate the vacuum lines today and through an old post I see someone mentioned the two lines coming from the bottom of the blower (red hard lines) should go to boost gauge and FRPS. Go to check mine out, one was going to FPRS and the other was going to a vacuum T by the passenger firewall. There was another nearby line as well with a black (vacuum I assume) line that looks identical to the boost gauge line, hooked up to where the boost gauge should be. Those black lines were installed in each other's places, it seems. I fix the issue and holy cow it feels like it has 150 more horsepower than yesterday. The only mods it has are 2.81 upper pulley (I did not measure and verify yet), midpipe, and mufflers.
Glad I went with my gut that it would be an easy fix. Pic of the two black lines that were mixed up.
IMG-2136.jpg

The only thought in the back of my head is how I know previous owners probably drove the car hard with this errant setup. This error would also result in the FPRS boost circuit being exposed to a vacuum line, which would be negating the boost the FPRS is supposed to see anytime the throttle is mashed, resulting in a lean condition because the FPRS wouldn't be seeing the appropriate positive pressure. There was no check engine light at any point, no lights on the dash at all (they all work). It didn't make any noises or stumble, it just accelerated slowly in this condition. Anyway, glad I found the problem and it feels like a monster now, happy to be in my first 03. Disregard how dirty the car is in the pics, have not washed it since the drive.

I strapped the phone to my steering wheel for a pull to see where the boost would go, does this look right for a 2.81 upper only? I have no reference. Pics of the car, too.

IMG-2137.jpg

IMG-2125.jpg

IMG-2130.jpg
IMG-2132.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
nice find

especially having passed a compression test I wouldnt be worried about it having hurt anything

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Both on finding that nice Cobra, and for resolving the boost issue so quickly. Well done!

You didn't mention a seat mod. What seats do you have?

Rock44

Established Member
The seats will be going SECOND THING, after the mufflers haha. They are Corbeau, don't know what specific type. Here is a pic.

03cobra#694 thanks for the reminder I need to update my location. Now I have more of a reason to frequent these forums I'll make sure my info is up to date. Anyone wanna trade stock window switches/climate control switches for these blinged up ones? They're just not my style.

Attachments

• IMG-2082.JPG
    IMG-2082.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 87

LS WUT

Established Member
Awesome find man, a lot of the nice cobras are down here in Florida haha. Enjoy the hell out of it. Silver always looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread