Noise only at idle.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have had this noise since I purchased the car 5 years ago. The noise sounds like a tick at idle. The noise doesn't increase with RPM and goes away around 1k RPMs.

I just put in a Reman Cobra engine and ran Conventional oil during break in and seating the rings. I changed the oil a few times, again with conventional. I have about 1k miles on it now. I just put in full syn 5w30 and the noise started. Different oil filter make no difference, I going to put conventional oil back and just see if it goes away. The car runs great.

It is the same noise my original engine had for 43k miles.

I have listened to a lot of Terminators on youtube and most make the same noise.

Here is my original engine noise:
03 cobra idle vid noise - YouTube

Reman engine noise:

Reman engine - YouTube

Here is a well known members vid of his cobra:

Cobra idle vid - YouTube

Here is a random vid of a terminator at idle (makes the same noise)

2004 Mystichrome Cobra.MP4 - YouTube

Another terminator idle vid (random vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQ32fxj8do

I would like some input and it would be nice if you guys can post some vids of your car at warm idle, with the camera just under the drivers door, or right underneath the front bumper, or as close to the oil pan as possible.

Last edited:

Anabolic

Banned
you guys sure it's not the throwout bearing? try putting clutch in see if it goes away

because ANYTHING doing with the motor if you put thicker oil in it, the viscosity will make SOME difference.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Exhaust leak!?.. Bad cat?.. Someone standing next to the car making a ticking noise? Lol Prob just regular noise man.. These motors are noiiiisy as helll

Anabolic

Banned
your first vid i hear the fan, belt squeek & the exhaust rumbling & it sounds like alittle putter, have you checked exhaust connection?

what have you checked so far

TVSCobra

Established Member
I do have a few exhaust leaks, at the rear of the exhaust, we have a smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks, evap emission leaks, exhaust leaking, etc.

But the ticking noise is not coming from the exhaust, it really sounds like its coming from the oil pan or bell housing area.

It's just really odd that both engines make this noise. I guess its normal. My 06 GT made the exact same noise.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I would like to get as many people as possible to post in this thread with vids of their cars at hot idle.
Taking the vid just under the front bumper or just under the drivers door close to the tire. List what your car is idling at too. Please

Thanks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds familiar, mine sounds like that too. My 98 f150 also makes a similar noise, a lot of people tell me I have a knock. My truck at 28k made that sound, and today at 57k still makes it.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
Well just to confirm, mine does do it, but only after driving it for at least 15 minutes. Sitting there idling it does not do it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you've answered your own question. You said that both engines and your '06 GT made the same noise. That would tell me that it is common engine noise, but than it being an issue. As someone said, these motors are commonly noisy.

SVTRAT

Banned
I do have a few exhaust leaks, at the rear of the exhaust, we have a smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks, evap emission leaks, exhaust leaking, etc.

But the ticking noise is not coming from the exhaust, it really sounds like its coming from the oil pan or bell housing area.

It's just really odd that both engines make this noise. I guess its normal. My 06 GT made the exact same noise.

Check exhaust manifold to mid pipe connection. Tight fit, some times things dont line up as they should. If you get under the car, you might be able to see some kind of smoke coming out of those connection, if leaking.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Mine makes a small ticking type noise after driving also but my motor runs strong so dosent bother me anymore, its always done it. I also get a little cam idle witch is wierd but I guess these engines are just noisy some more then other, if it was a head tick you would deff know it.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Find it, lots of things tick on these engines.

The injector ticking alone is some of the loudest injectors I have ever heard.

Most noticeable at idle? -------- Probably.

"Noise only at idle"------- I doubt it.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
My '03 makes the same noise and so did my Mach1. I discovered that it was the clutch fork rattling. I bet that's what you are hearing also. If the TOB, TOB retainer or both are slightly out of round, the fork will oscillate back and forth. With my car if I have the inspection cover off and turn the engine on, I can climb under and hold the fork and the noise totally goes away. It set my mind at ease that it wasn't the motor itself.

03snkvert

Established Member
My car also does this....

We had a Dyno day with Bob Kurgan on Thurs, Friday and Saturday of last week, and I listened to 4 other Cobras making the exact same sound. One was a 99 with an 03/04 transplant with a built teskid block.

I will get under my car this weekend and check out the Clutch Fork!

Users who are viewing this thread