Noise only at idle.

soslow2395

Established Member
Have you put a stethoscope on it yet?

I've got a similar noise to yours and I pick it up on the drivers side valve cover around the third piston back. It's very pronounced with the scope. I've got video I'll post soon.

Qwk GT

Established Member
All of the modular mustangs I've owned have made a similar noise, maybe not as pronounced but that could be the vid. Even other cobra's I've heard make those noises, some worse than others. (doesn't sound like the tick to me) Does it get quieter after it warms up?

My 04 Cobra, 07 GT500, and my 03. I took all of the cars to different shops and they told me it was normal engine noise. All had/have relatively low mileage. (Purchased with 17k, 12k, 4k) But I live in a colder climate, and I get a similar, less pronounced noise only when its cold.

It sucks, but in my opionion they just make those noises when its cold. I got so annoyed I tried to trace it and from what I can guess its coming from the trans. I read somehwere about in the trans that causes that. There's a TSB, but I can't remember what it was. Wasn't the TOB, maybe clutch fork?

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
It sounded normal to me, I just wanted to here from other owners and compare. Thanks again.

soslow2395

Established Member
Can you only hear this when the engine is fully warm? After say 15 minutes of driving?

Or can you hear it when first cranked after sitting a while too?

97tntcobra

Established Member
97 cobra with a turbo 4.6 th400. just dyno time then it sat in the garage for awhile and the next time i pulled it out it had the noise lol. Ive checked end play it good oil is good flywheel is good. have not pulled valve covers and checked lash adjusters thought it might be them or a wrist pin until i found these threads. im tempted to run it , theres no lose of power so i dont know. Click on the pic for video
th_3F960D86-A553-460E-BD2D-BF100FEB0B67-18484-00000FDEF535B26D_zpsf8850632.jpg

Stage 4.6

Established Member
This ticking, tapping noise, had me nervous for awhile, I own an 04 with 21xxx miles. Doesn't sound as loud as some I ve herd on the videos. Seems liked these motors a very noisy. I had my tuner check my car through before tuning and dyno. He assured me all was good mine pulls strong made 498rwhp/548rwtq and drove home for 70 miles no problem. (well besides my stupid belt jumping a rib on my crank pulley) but that's another issue.

My buddy has a 04 with 6xxx miles KB 2.8 and a bunch of supporting mods, made 698rwhp and the car had the same ticking noise sounds like something loose in the bottom end of the engine :shrug:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Yes these are inherently noisy engines. Especially if you're "listening". You really want to know the health, or question "the tick", do a high speed pull, run the car hard for 2-3 hours, or Dyno time. Pull the car in the garage and listen. I will say as a trans builder that the T56 is a big noisy chunk too (inherently as well). The tick is unmistakeable. I think people hear a little pulsing in the exhaust and freak out. If Something is wrong, you'll know it.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Every 4V I have owned, makes this noise. I always hear it best/clearest, when the car is idling (hot) and I listen by the front driver side wheel well.

This noise, same as yours, got much louder and more pronounced on each car I have owned, after the installation of headers. No leaks. I have come to the conclusion it is an odd noise made by exhaust pulse. Weird, I know, but it always gets louder with headers installed, for me - and I have owned a lot of 4V Mustangs.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yes these are inherently noisy engines. Especially if you're "listening". You really want to know the health, or question "the tick", do a high speed pull, run the car hard for 2-3 hours, or Dyno time. Pull the car in the garage and listen. I will say as a trans builder that the T56 is a big noisy chunk too (inherently as well). The tick is unmistakeable. I think people hear a little pulsing in the exhaust and freak out. If Something is wrong, you'll know it.

That's exactly what I do, even though I know its not the famous tick noise cause I've herd it on other Cobras I sit there and listen! Even the pulsing of the exhaust as you mentioned raises an eyebrow :dw:
I guess I've been getting paranoid, from my idler issues so I am always listening for any odd noise?
You are also absolutely correct about the tranny, I have to be cautious of how much pressure i put on the shifter when just holding and resting my hand on it while cruising cause I here some ugly noise?

Users who are viewing this thread