NMRA Bradenton Vendor Call out! Beef vs BBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I thought i would save this for Friday morning.

I'm not big on excuses, and I didn't want to give anyone a false sense of security if for some reason, they didn't plan on showing, thinking we wouldn't make it.

Friday morning on the way to work. (i actually drive the car all the time even though some don't think so)

I was about 7-8 minutes from home, and all of a sudden, something just did not sound right. The sound of the engine got much quieter, i came to a stop, had almost no brake pedal. I pulled into the walgreens and shut her off.

I thought maybe a tube blew off, or something. Couldn't find any loose tubes, or vacuum lines off.

Tried to start it, wouldn't start. Tried again, and it still sounded wierd, then a loud "bang".

Left the car there and we towed it to the shop.

Did a compression check, drivers side was find. Passenger side, way down.

This is what we found.

broke2.jpg

broke1.jpg

broke3.jpg

broke4.jpg

Sunday we got right to work tearing the engine apart. Both chains were broke on the pass side, and one of the tensioners was locked up.

We did as much as we could for a sunday. Almost every valve on the passenger side was bent. Pistons looked fine.

Monday morning, got the valves ordered overnight, along with all new tensioners.

My parts guy also ordered in the chains, and the broke gear. I overnighted the mmr chain guides as well.

Nothing could be done monday. Tuesday, the valves / tensioners show up at the shop. My parts guys shows up to me Tuesday with 2 chains. I'm like, where are the chains for the other side? ........................... I'm like !@#$!$%@#$%

I told him to overnight them and get them here asap. We spent tuesday night after hours til about midnight getting as far as we could on the engine.

We were somewhat stuck without the 2nd chain. In true fashion. the "next day chains" don't show up til 1:30 in the afternoon......... As bad as we needed the parts, my parts guy didn't get the fact that I wanted them next day AM. Not by 3pm....

Anyway. We went to work right away hammering out the on the car. Brian and me were at the shop til almost 2am wed night getting the car back together and running. We had hoped to get it ready by 7 and get to the dyno, but with the chains coming so late, couldn't happen.

So, got a few hours sleep, headed to the shop and loaded up the car for the race and headed to GA.

I def didn't wan't to have an "excuse" not to be here. Can't thank Brian enough for helping me get the car together. He was supposed to Finish up his Mean Street car and bring it to the race, and put it on hold to help get the car here for the race / and grudge race.

Anyway, were here ready, no miles on the car since putting it back together, not knowing what's going to happen!!

Wish us luck!!

Hopefully some great racing today, and the car goes straight and true!

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I thought i would save this for Friday morning.

I'm not big on excuses, and I didn't want to give anyone a false sense of security if for some reason, they didn't plan on showing, thinking we wouldn't make it.

Friday morning on the way to work. (i actually drive the car all the time even though some don't think so)

I was about 7-8 minutes from home, and all of a sudden, something just did not sound right. The sound of the engine got much quieter, i came to a stop, had almost no brake pedal. I pulled into the walgreens and shut her off.

I thought maybe a tube blew off, or something. Couldn't find any loose tubes, or vacuum lines off.

Tried to start it, wouldn't start. Tried again, and it still sounded wierd, then a loud "bang".

Left the car there and we towed it to the shop.

Did a compression check, drivers side was find. Passenger side, way down.

This is what we found.

broke2.jpg

broke1.jpg

broke3.jpg

broke4.jpg

Sunday we got right to work tearing the engine apart. Both chains were broke on the pass side, and one of the tensioners was locked up.

We did as much as we could for a sunday. Almost every valve on the passenger side was bent. Pistons looked fine.

Monday morning, got the valves ordered overnight, along with all new tensioners.

My parts guy also ordered in the chains, and the broke gear. I overnighted the mmr chain guides as well.

Nothing could be done monday. Tuesday, the valves / tensioners show up at the shop. My parts guys shows up to me Tuesday with 2 chains. I'm like, where are the chains for the other side? ........................... I'm like !@#$!$%@#$%

I told him to overnight them and get them here asap. We spent tuesday night after hours til about midnight getting as far as we could on the engine.

We were somewhat stuck without the 2nd chain. In true fashion. the "next day chains" don't show up til 1:30 in the afternoon......... As bad as we needed the parts, my parts guy didn't get the fact that I wanted them next day AM. Not by 3pm....

Anyway. We went to work right away hammering out the on the car. Brian and me were at the shop til almost 2am wed night getting the car back together and running. We had hoped to get it ready by 7 and get to the dyno, but with the chains coming so late, couldn't happen.

So, got a few hours sleep, headed to the shop and loaded up the car for the race and headed to GA.

I def didn't wan't to have an "excuse" not to be here. Can't thank Brian enough for helping me get the car together. He was supposed to Finish up his Mean Street car and bring it to the race, and put it on hold to help get the car here for the race / and grudge race.

Anyway, were here ready, no miles on the car since putting it back together, not knowing what's going to happen!!

Wish us luck!!

Hopefully some great racing today, and the car goes straight and true!

Damn, that would make a long stressful week! You plan on getting some miles on the car this moring before any passes?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So the engine broke going 30mph?

It's hard to know exactly what happened, but we suspect the chain got stressed over time from all the high rpm runs. Finally let go at about 25 mph on a shift

Damn, that would make a long stressful week! You plan on getting some miles on the car this moring before any passes?

Yes, we will pull off the trailer, drive it to tech, and then to the staging lanes, that should be a good half mile....

Damn beef, respect!

Thanks, very long week

Dog tired

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
We got alot of rain in the area last night, hopefully the sun comes out and helps dry the track.
Good luck to all those running today

Tommy@JPC

Established Member
Sounds just like something that happens. I had my car on the dyno less than a week prior to the Columbus race in 2009. Valve springs got weak and bent 2 custom valves on my FS engine. Nice problem with that was my E7 heads were 1 of a kind and the valves also. Had to next day the head to RGR and make miracles happen on the valves, next day the heads back to me the day before leaving for the race to put it together. Drive out to Columbus and win the race. These things happen all the time when you put max effort into your cars. Give Brian @ Finishline a high 5 for me on turning your car back around like and good job to you Terry.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sounds just like something that happens. I had my car on the dyno less than a week prior to the Columbus race in 2009. Valve springs got weak and bent 2 custom valves on my FS engine. Nice problem with that was my E7 heads were 1 of a kind and the valves also. Had to next day the head to RGR and make miracles happen on the valves, next day the heads back to me the day before leaving for the race to put it together. Drive out to Columbus and win the race. These things happen all the time when you put max effort into your cars. Give Brian @ Finishline a high 5 for me on turning your car back around like and good job to you Terry.

Thanks Tommy,

I know you guys get after it the same way!

Tommy@JPC

Established Member
These things always happen. Justin broke stock oil pump gears a few years back on the dyno at 11:30pm the night before the Import domestic race. Was at the track, tuned and ready to go for qualifing. It's more the norm than most think. BG 2008, we finished the install on his engine on Thursday night @ 10pm, had it off the dyno @ Midnight. Left for the race around 2am. He drove the 12+ hours out and laid down at that time the quickest and fastest 3v pass off all time. The silver car was a street car also :) like the 2011.
3v Mustang Match Race Barber/MD vs. Burcham/JPC - YouTube

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Good Luck Terry! That was a hell of a thrash

2011redcandy

Established Member
I heard they are not coming, they could'nt keep the car running long enough to get it on the trailer. :)

But seriously if they dont show, I will be suprised as highly publicized as it is.

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
Wow what a week, congrats on getting there with the car running.

Its nothing short of miracle considering what happened.

With all the hype for that race i guess that this additional drama wasnt needed at this point.

Thats going to be an hell of a story in 20 years if you end up winning the race on top of it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well, it made it off the trailer and through tech and back to the pits, hell of a break in lol

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Wow Beef! Hell of a week. It's awesome to see the time and effort you put in for your job and passion. Good luck this weekend man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread