NHTSA tells automakers to hit 49 mpg by 2026

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
While somewhat political, this is going to hurt anyone who liked gas powered vehicles.

Stricter fuel economy rules for automakers have been set out by the US government, which will see a rise in average fleet fuel economy to approximately 49 mpg by 2026.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s NHTSA finalized the standards on March 31st, which will see fuel economy requirements rise 8 percent for cars and light trucks model years 2024-2025, and 10 percent for model years 2026 and beyond.

Under Obama, a 5 percent improvement in fleet fuel economy was standardized for 2026 model year vehicles, while Trump backpedaled that number to 1.5 percent. The NHTSA says Biden’s rules will decrease gasoline consumption by 220 billion gallons compared to the Trump-era rules, and reduce consumer fuel costs by $192 billion for vehicles sold through 2030.

The hope is that the new standards will drive automakers toward producing more electrified vehicles, and speed up the industry-wide shift to electrification.

Penalties for automakers have also been increased from $5.50 to $14 per tenth of a mile per gallon, multiplied by the number of models produced that don’t meet the fuel economy regulations for 2019-2021 model years. For 2022 model years, that number further increases to $15. Automakers argued against the proposed increased penalty in 2016, saying it would add $1 billion to compliance costs annually.

The EPA also recently announced a new, more stringent target for vehicle greenhouse gas emissions for 2023-2026 model years of 161 grams of carbon dioxide per mile. Aspects of the NHTSA and EPA guidelines have been harmonized to allow automakers to use the same strategies to comply with both rules.

So it looks like I'll need to have solar panels up by 2025 if I want to not have brown/blackouts, too bad the battery tech sucks.

Anyone else see this as the obvious money grab /carbon tax as there is no way in hell to do this unless the big 3 figure how to make a car run on hopes and dreams. Only way to officially avoid the fines is simply stop making ICE, but I'm sure donations to certain politicians might influence the fines. "I'm sure 10% to the big guy" will be acceptable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is ALL about forcing manufacturers to more quickly switch entirely to EVs. It's beginning to more and more look like the end of new ICE vehicles because the mileage requirements are going to be near impossible to meet, and IMO the manufacturers will take the easy road, give in to the mandates, and plan to go all EVs much sooner than expected.

Related, I drove my a shopping center yesterday in the town I used to work in. There must have been over 100 charging stations. Row after row. It was weird to see, but it just served as a reminder where this is all going.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Need to get a new administration in that will repeal this stupid mandate.
They are going to price the "poor" out of an automobile. That should work out great...

Till some liberal politician offers to send rebates/vouchers/stimulus checks to buy one. Save the screwing for the utility bills.

“Gavin Newsome is sending every adult in CA an electric car stimulus check for $20k. Vote for Gavin Newsome”

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kevinbonds

Established Member
Our leaders are clueless morons bought and paid for by China. It's already been said by experts that the raw materials to mass produce EV batteries does not exist. In addition the human costs to mine them, to countries like Afghanistan and the Congo are huge. lest not forget that all the raw materials need to be refined in China before anyone can even start to make a battery. So, tell me how with a straight face this kabal known as our administration can push for more EV's when there wont be near enough capacity to deliver them? It's an impossibility with the current way batteries are produced today. The only possibility is they are in bed the Chinese on the refinement of these minerals and the destruction of America.

Because if we force auto makers away for efficient ICE engines, to low tech lithium batteries the only winner is China, who already owns our political leaders and the bulk of our countries working class jobs.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Money for new public transportation is based on zero emission. Our town will be going with hydrogen fuel cells. Electrics just don't have the range so you would need twice as many units to cover the routes.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Beginning this week, Shell-owned Ubitricity will now charge 32p per KiloWatt hour, up from 24p. A 35p connection fee per charging session will also be introduced.

The 33% price rise means Mercedes EQS drivers will pay an extra £9.92 for a full charge. It will cost Tesla Model 3 owners an extra £4.32 to fill up and Nissan Leaf drivers will see costs rise by £3.44, based on battery capacity data from EV Database.

About US $40 for 350 miles fill-up in the EQS. Funny how the cost to fill EV's is ramping up the same as gasoline.

iu

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
About US $40 for 350 miles fill-up in the EQS. Funny how the cost to fill EV's is ramping up the same as gasoline.

Have to laugh at all the people who jumped on the EV bandwagon to stick it to "big oil." As if they haven't already diversified into "big energy." Doesn't matter what you drive, you're going to have to pay them.

Users who are viewing this thread