NHTSA open up investigation on the MT82

Status
Not open for further replies.

SicShelby09

Banned
I've been driving manuals exclusively for over 25 years... everything from K-cars to Corvettes. I know how to drive.

ALL of these people don't know how to drive????????

5600 posts... 650+ unique users????

And the Land Rover folks can't drive stick? And the Transit van owners can't drive stick? The Land Rover has a shifter coming directly out of the transmission... no remote linkage.. same issues

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread - Page 374 - Ford Mustang Forums

This is the Land Rover Shifter on the MT82:

38892806.jpg

Yes. How many cars were sold, vs how many are having legitimate issues.... Now subtract that by 2/3rds and I bet you that those people are causing the issues. Its highly probable that 1/3 of the bad trans issues are from people not knowing how to drive them or abuse.

FWP!

Established Member
What the NHTSA SHOULD have done was open up a "how to drive a manual trans, and what is NORMAL operation!" school/ I would be willing to bet that half the complaints are from people that dont correctly know how to drive stick, or dont understand that some of their complaint are NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take for instance the hesitation between 1-2. I have driven manual cars for 15 years, and several of them have been mustangs, camaros and corvettes. They all do this. You cant just drive it normal, and think you can just jam it from 1-2. There is always going to be a hesitation while everything catches up. More so when cold. And these are hydrologic clutches, so depending on the amount of moisture in the fluid and temps, your clutch may not work the same from day to day. The corvette guys get really bad pedal feel, to the point where it will stick to the floor with spirited driving because they are boiling the moisture in the fluid, and its loosing volume and failing until the temps go back down. Their fix was to swap out the fluid at the fill spot under the hood with a turkey baster, and putting in dot 4 sync fluid with a much higher boiling temp. And repeating this process a few times a month. It has become normal maintenance like oil changes. This new mustang is still an infant, and its going to take some smart people to figure this out. The last thing we need are a bunch of whiny babies like most of you on here to scream its the car when you are probably the issue. So sick of this shit.

Blablabla, you're completely ignoring the people that have had severe issues to the point where a few of the gears are gone completely or the transmissions is totally trash. Look up videos on youtube, I've seen a bunch and it's definitely NOT from people not knowing how to shift properly.

corruptor

Established Member
No use getting into a pissing match at this point since the NHTSA is involved. May as well just avoid the high blood pressure and let the guys with multiple tranny replacements continue to claim defective crap, and the other guys continue to call it user error. Just let the gubment do its job and get to the bottom of this and at the end of the day, we can all be happy :beer:

jj6077

Established Member
No use getting into a pissing match at this point since the NHTSA is involved. May as well just avoid the high blood pressure and let the guys with multiple tranny replacements continue to claim defective crap, and the other guys continue to call it user error. Just let the gubment do its job and get to the bottom of this and at the end of the day, we can all be happy :beer:

What is this? trying to make peace over the internet? I respect you for your efforts, but cmon now lol

baron95

Im just so sick of these threads.

I think you are simply being defensive and afraid of the resale value hit on your car.

I'm dying to buy a Boss 302 as a dual purpose fun/track car - the MT-82 transmission issue is one of two reason's stopping me from buying (now that the dealer markups have evaporated).

I am extremely interested in the resolution of this issue and on reports by owners. I have driven cars with good, average and poor transmissions in the past, and from my research, this is the most pervasive and problematic MT issue by far, that I have heard of.

Trying to blame this on user error and shouting people that have problems down, doesn't sound productive.

My last Ford car a Supercharged Tbird (1990) was very problematic and I had to sell it at a loss after multiple attempts to fix it. My last two Ford trucks (2 Expeditions) were 100% trouble free. So I have been on both sides of the Ford quality experience - thus my research prior to buying.

I will not buy the Boss, until I hear a credible explanation from Ford about what the problem(s) is and how they permanently address them.

And I do want to buy the Boss. So - keep the pressure on, until Ford addressed the issue head on.

EVEN if they feel it is driver error, I want Ford to come out and say how owners can avoid the problems - if the solution is "shift slowly", then this car is useless as a track car, it's main purpose in life.

Last edited:

jmatero

Established Member
Yes. How many cars were sold, vs how many are having legitimate issues.... Now subtract that by 2/3rds and I bet you that those people are causing the issues. Its highly probable that 1/3 of the bad trans issues are from people not knowing how to drive them or abuse.

There are only 26,000 2011 & 2012 Mustangs with the MT82 transmission.

Considering the number of posts, youtube videos, facebook pages, NHTSA reports, and forum threads... compared to competitive vehicles... I'd say this will prove to be a large percentage.

We have owners reporting at the transmission thread their cars have been in the shop for WEEKS... WEEKS... because the transmission and parts have been on back order with no ETA. That doesn't happen because of a minor issue.

Fortunately, Ford has agreed to work with the NHTSA so they will have to answer the question about "magnitude" once and for all.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
I talked to justin at JPC a while back about their T56 magnum swap and he said

"The Getrag is fairly durable if you don't beat it up, normal use it will live, but missed gears and spirited driving can/will lead to issues."

the part in bold is what bothers me. that's why I bought it. Aside from a slightly clunky 1~2 shift or 6~5 down shift every now and then, mine has been performing well but i've yet to take it to the drag strip and yet to take it to a road track event.

Should be interesting to see what all comes of this investigation.

Mine has a very slight whine, no real shifting issues to report. I did get the skip-shift once a couple weeks ago but it was at WOT, nailed it in first and then second was locked out. It was really weird and hasn't happened since. Mine sure is clunky though, anyone else have excessive throw-out bearing/clutch noise? It's primarily when going from first to second.

Is that the "clacka clacka clacka" sound I hear if I'm driving slow through a parking lot in 1st and push the clutch in?

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
"The Getrag is fairly durable if you don't beat it up, normal use it will live, but missed gears and spirited driving can/will lead to issues."

That's a really really stupid statement.

Hey, an egg is very durable too if you don't throw it against the wall.... Duurrr duurrrrr....

SicShelby09

Banned
I think you are simply being defensive and afraid of the resale value hit on your car.

I'm dying to buy a Boss 302 as a dual purpose fun/track car - the MT-82 transmission issue is one of two reason's stopping me from buying (now that the dealer markups have evaporated).

I am extremely interested in the resolution of this issue and on reports by owners. I have driven cars with good, average and poor transmissions in the past, and from my research, this is the most pervasive and problematic MT issue by far, that I have heard of.

Trying to blame this on user error and shouting people that have problems down, doesn't sound productive.

My last Ford car a Supercharged Tbird (1990) was very problematic and I had to sell it at a loss after multiple attempts to fix it. My last two Ford trucks (2 Expeditions) were 100% trouble free. So I have been on both sides of the Ford quality experience - thus my research prior to buying.

I will not buy the Boss, until I hear a credible explanation from Ford about what the problem(s) is and how they permanently address them.

And I do want to buy the Boss. So - keep the pressure on, until Ford addressed the issue head on.

EVEN if they feel it is driver error, I want Ford to come out and say how owners can avoid the problems - if the solution is "shift slowly", then this car is useless as a track car, it's main purpose in life.

Im pretty sure the boss has a TR6060 in it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The TR6060 isn't the solution. Well, I mean it could be, but it's not the right solution.

The MT82 is the better transmission for the GT and Boss. Tremec's have had a long reputation for not liking high rpm engines. While the 6060 certainly has the fortitude to handle the torque, it's wide gearing, double over-drive and bulkiness doesn't lend it to the application for the GT and the Boss nearly as well as the MT82 does.

The problem though is that the MT82 isn't positioned to work with the GT or Boss when you start looking at how these cars are going to be driven.

While the average torque for the coyote falls below the maximum torque specifications for the MT82, it's still right on the verge there and if you spend a lot of time around peak torque, you're overdoing it.

As an example, it's like choosing a power supply for a computer you're building. Lets say your fancy video card requires 550 watts of continuous power to run properly. So you go cheap and buy a 550watt PS. But you forgot that it needs to be able to supply that continuously, not to mention power for the rest of the system. Sure it'll probably work for a while, but it's going to be noisy, unstable and die prematurely. Pretty much exactly what I see going on with this issue.

That leaves the question, what is the proper solution? Lets say this investigation theoretically points to a large widespread problem. Lets also say that enough pressure is put on ford by the feds and it's owners that it must do a recall. Is ford really going to start replacing transmissions? If so, what would they use? You could go further, are they really going to start repairing transmissions with different parts?

Bottom line, for us with cars in hand, there probably will never be a resolution. Ford will probably make a statement or guideline about repairing transmissions if they fail. But you're still at that point relegated to never doing much with your car. If it fails they can still claim abuse if you track it or if you've added anything to the car to boost power they can claim that.

Who this really benefits is future buyers that will likely see upgraded and updated components in the drive train. Exactly like what Ford did with the 6.0 diesels. They fixed the issue by designing a new engine, not be helping the owners of current cars.

jj6077

Established Member
I do not really have any major problems with the tranny, but one big problem I have about these cars are the stock rims. O my gahd they are hideous I wish I had the money to swap mine out.

baron95

This is the web site of the company making the MT-82:
GETRAG (Jiangxi) Transmission Co., Ltd.

GETRAG (Jiangxi) Transmission Co., Ltd, a China-Germany Joint Venture between GETRAG CORPORATE GROUP (Germany) and Jiangling Motor Group (China), was founded in Nanchang, Jiangxi province in September 2006.

Getrag (proper) not the Chinese venture, makes several 6MT manual transmissions of differing torque capacity. They also have a joint venture with Ford to make DCT, though Getrag US declared bankruptcy a coupe of years back.

The fix for this issue will, most likely be beefed up/redesigned transmission parts and linkages. I have driven the 6MT transmission on a BMW 1M (very briefly) and it was one of the best transmissions. And that car can dish out 369 ft-lbs for 7 sec peaks. So properly installed and built, it is obvious that these are good transmission designs.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I've been driving manuals exclusively for over 25 years... everything from K-cars to Corvettes. I know how to drive.

ALL of these people don't know how to drive????????

5600 posts... 650+ unique users????

And the Land Rover folks can't drive stick? And the Transit van owners can't drive stick? The Land Rover has a shifter coming directly out of the transmission... no remote linkage.. same issues

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread - Page 374 - Ford Mustang Forums

This is the Land Rover Shifter on the MT82:

38892806.jpg

Please everyone google this guys name. " jmatero " He has posted in every freaking forum known to man. From civic's to F-bodys all about not being able to shift.. Also found he had issue's shifting a saturn also. Google jmatero asap. This guy should be banned from the internet.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
It's not the owner... It's the transmission. Go to any Land Rover Defender or Ford Transit Van owner forum. They've been dealing with the MT82 mess since 2004. In those applications, the MT82 is mated to 150hp 4-cyl motors and the Land Rover has a direct-connect shifter.

And "skip shift" has nothing to do with this either as there are just as many V6 owner's with the problem... And they don't have that feature.

Hey what happen to your ABC news story? More BS from you. get a life.

acrbill

Established Member
I brought my car in for the trans fluid TSB. It came out with a messed up clutch. They tightened up the pressure plate bolts and replaced the clutch pedal unit with an upgraded piece. I am still having issues with the shifting being difficult under spirited driving and the pedal is sticking to the floor at high RPM. Its so bad that if I hold the pedal a few inches off the floor and rev the car up the pedal sucks itself onto the floor.

I have an aftermarket clutch waiting to go in, but I am really starting to think better of messing around with it since the trans may also be the culprit and the dealer will somehow blame the new clutch.

There is a legitimate problem here and I am glad it is coming to light.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Can we just all get a t56 for Christ sake, he'll I'll buy the clutch if they want

fordrevhead

Established Member
Before I bought it I checked the build date and it shouldnt have the early pedal design problem. My car does not have the skip shift crap... thank God. I will admit that I had the clutch hang, disengaged the first two times I brought it above 5500rpm from 1st going to second. I shifted, it went into gear no problem but it kind of acted like neutral for a second... it was so quick I couldnt tell for sure if the pedal hung, the clutch hung or really I lean toward both a little. I have heard others had the slave cylinders re-bled "solving" this problem. Me, I just drove it more. It has not done it since. The shifting is a little notchy but the throw is not horrible. This is not totally a function of the shifter but also the trans. I have considered the Barton shifter nonetheless. I think a lot people create their own problems by not having a coordinated left foot and right hand to shift hard and fast at the right time. Not to say some dont have problems but a lot of bad synchros are caused by bad drivers or just a bad error at a high rpm. In general hydraulic clutch setups feel less forgiving then mechanical as far as "where" the pedal has to be to totally disengage the clutch. However, I do honestly feel the clutch itself is the weak link in this design for performance driving. I love the car and I dont expect problems... I think the couple sticks were probably due to some break in issues. Didnt scare me but I can see some people running to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread