NHTSA open up investigation on the MT82

Status
Not open for further replies.

fake

Established Member
While I don't have a problem with my manual tranny; many do.

Feds investigating new Ford Mustang

David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington — Federal safety officials have opened investigations into new Ford Mustangs with manual transmissions over erratic shifting.

In documents posted Sunday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was opening a preliminary investigation into 26,000 2011-12 Mustang vehicles.
NHTSA said it has received 32 complaints alleging an unexpected inability to shift into gear on Mustangs equipped with manual transmissions that some suggested had nearly led to crashes.
Some reports said incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic, while others said incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic.

HA HA HA LMAO!!! How many of you guys have taken your crap transmission in only to be told it's normal?

"After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” commented a company spokesperson"
Source: NHTSA opens investigation into the 2011 Mustang’s transmission problems | Mustangs Daily

lsp408

Established Member
Mine sounds like blower noise and it's getting louder. But still shift fine

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
the left hand turn issue is probably the skip shift, not doubting it but i do notice the skip shift gets me sometimes on the LH turns more so than the right.

ncarter124

Established Member
Mine has a very slight whine, no real shifting issues to report. I did get the skip-shift once a couple weeks ago but it was at WOT, nailed it in first and then second was locked out. It was really weird and hasn't happened since. Mine sure is clunky though, anyone else have excessive throw-out bearing/clutch noise? It's primarily when going from first to second.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Your skip shift isn't functioning properly if it is locking out second at WOT. That could have been due to the POS shifter bracket ford installed.

kirbyg16

Established Member
Your skip shift isn't functioning properly if it is locking out second at WOT. That could have been due to the POS shifter bracket ford installed.
You mean this thing.:fm::bash::xpl:
mustangtuning_2170_442960515

byeofcr

Established Member
hahahahahahahahahahhahah i should send them how i brought my car in twice already and havent had my car in A ****ING MONTH.
instead of replacing the transmission they decided to tear it apart and change out blocker rings, synchros, etc etc etc.
and mine whines to high hell too due to the gear design im told, i can deal with the whine.. i cant deal with my trans breaking after 2000 miles

fake

Established Member
Mine has a very slight whine, no real shifting issues to report. I did get the skip-shift once a couple weeks ago but it was at WOT, nailed it in first and then second was locked out. It was really weird and hasn't happened since. Mine sure is clunky though, anyone else have excessive throw-out bearing/clutch noise? It's primarily when going from first to second.

Skip shift only happens at low RPM's and low speeds.

byeofcr

Established Member
Skip shift only happens at low RPM's and low speeds.

+1, never had it happen while accelerating wot.. though my car did go into 3rd gear at wot and never accelerated just stuck at redline.. and ya it was in gear.. i blame the shifter bushing. it makes me feel better even if it isnt the cause.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When I go into 2nd of course driving NICE it's like it catches on something before it gets there.-shane

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Nice waste of tax dollars. 32 people? really. i bet u more than half, have no idea what they are talking about. Some cars have problems im sure. But this is a total waste of tax dollars. The dealer i work at, has had no real issues. Had a few people come in pushing the shifter down while shifting, causing it not to go into gear correct or the other clowns who dont realize they arent pushing the clutch all the way down.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
its a different trans. Alot of the skip shift, mpg bs is at fault. I just think a lot of people dont know what they are talking about. Mine shifts a 100 times smoother than my new edge ever did.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Mine sounds like blower noise and it's getting louder. But still shift fine

I've gotten a little noise out of the SVTP GT.

You can trigger the skip shift at WOT if you over rev the engine on the stock tune.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
its a different trans. Alot of the skip shift, mpg bs is at fault. I just think a lot of people dont know what they are talking about. Mine shifts a 100 times smoother than my new edge ever did.

ill agree with you on the new edge lol my 03 GT didnt shift nearly as well as my '12.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I've gotten a little noise out of the SVTP GT.

You can trigger the skip shift at WOT if you over rev the engine on the stock tune.

mine did it around 3000 rpms during mustangweek and a message came up saying save fuel shift 1-4 or something like that. it was weird.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
ill agree with you on the new edge lol my 03 GT didnt shift nearly as well as my '12.

yep lol. i bought my 03 GT new also. grinded and didnt wanna go into gear sometimes. Face it, every mustang shifts rough. Its not some queer vw beetle.

jmatero

Established Member
yep lol. i bought my 03 GT new also. grinded and didnt wanna go into gear sometimes. Face it, every mustang shifts rough. Its not some queer vw beetle.

Shifting rough is one thing. The issue is that a lot of us are getting blocked out of gears completely... not related to skip-shift.

Lost my 2nd MT82 at 5000 miles... there are a lot of us out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread