NHTSA open up investigation on the MT82

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Our 11 has a whine in it as well...took it to the dealer and it's "normal"... no shifting issues though.

ncarter124

Established Member
Your skip shift isn't functioning properly if it is locking out second at WOT. That could have been due to the POS shifter bracket ford installed.

Probably was. I just know I went to shift at 6500-7000 and 2nd was completely blocked out. Only happened once and I have logged well over 100k miles driving manuals alone so it was the car without a doubt. And conversely I can't get the skip-shift to normally initiate. This isn't a complaint at all but I have tried various rpms, loads, etc and it has engaged literally 1 time at low rpm's since I got the car. I just turned over 5k miles and drive 95% city. Needless to say I am selling this car LOOOONG before the warranty is up. HVAC is also taking a shit on it. This is my first Ford and it will be my last.

Skip shift only happens at low RPM's and low speeds.

Yes I am well aware of how skip-shift works, thus my asking about this single instance.

+1, never had it happen while accelerating wot.. though my car did go into 3rd gear at wot and never accelerated just stuck at redline.. and ya it was in gear.. i blame the shifter bushing. it makes me feel better even if it isnt the cause.

That's nice, yet another fear I'll have now lol.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
yep lol. i bought my 03 GT new also. grinded and didnt wanna go into gear sometimes. Face it, every mustang shifts rough. Its not some queer vw beetle.

yea mine never grinded but it was always alittle notchy. my T56 in my slobra was awesome. this MT82 doesnt shift bad at all.

SicShelby09

Banned
What the NHTSA SHOULD have done was open up a "how to drive a manual trans, and what is NORMAL operation!" school/ I would be willing to bet that half the complaints are from people that dont correctly know how to drive stick, or dont understand that some of their complaint are NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take for instance the hesitation between 1-2. I have driven manual cars for 15 years, and several of them have been mustangs, camaros and corvettes. They all do this. You cant just drive it normal, and think you can just jam it from 1-2. There is always going to be a hesitation while everything catches up. More so when cold. And these are hydrologic clutches, so depending on the amount of moisture in the fluid and temps, your clutch may not work the same from day to day. The corvette guys get really bad pedal feel, to the point where it will stick to the floor with spirited driving because they are boiling the moisture in the fluid, and its loosing volume and failing until the temps go back down. Their fix was to swap out the fluid at the fill spot under the hood with a turkey baster, and putting in dot 4 sync fluid with a much higher boiling temp. And repeating this process a few times a month. It has become normal maintenance like oil changes. This new mustang is still an infant, and its going to take some smart people to figure this out. The last thing we need are a bunch of whiny babies like most of you on here to scream its the car when you are probably the issue. So sick of this shit.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Shifting rough is one thing. The issue is that a lot of us are getting blocked out of gears completely... not related to skip-shift.

Lost my 2nd MT82 at 5000 miles... there are a lot of us out there.

And I've seen your videos. You problem is whatever gear you are locked out of is because of BAD SYNCROS@! And why do we have bad syncros??? Maybe from bad shifting. A buddy of mine just screwed his 1-2 syncros on his 10 camaro from one bad 2-3 shift. He also damaged the shift fork sleeves and his car did the same thing yours is. When you try to get it into gear, even with the clutch down it grinds really bad no matter sitting at idle or driving. You are the problem, and I hope ford denys your claims from here on out. ITS YOU MAN! You are on like your 3rd trans........hello??

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I'm on my second transmission, does that mean i suck also? I had a 2002 manual trans GT that i drove for 120k miles, i had a 110k mile '94 cobra, and i had 22k on my manual 2008 GT. Boy, i must have been doing it ALLLLL wrong.

SicShelby09

Banned
I'm on my second transmission, does that mean i suck also? I had a 2002 manual trans GT that i drove for 120k miles, i had a 110k mile '94 cobra, and i had 22k on my manual 2008 GT. Boy, i must have been doing it ALLLLL wrong.

Did I say everyone?? But you cant deny that more than a few are caused by user error plain and simple.

:nonono:

jmatero

Established Member
Did I say everyone?? But you cant deny that more than a few are caused by user error plain and simple.

:nonono:

It's not the owner... It's the transmission. Go to any Land Rover Defender or Ford Transit Van owner forum. They've been dealing with the MT82 mess since 2004. In those applications, the MT82 is mated to 150hp 4-cyl motors and the Land Rover has a direct-connect shifter.

And "skip shift" has nothing to do with this either as there are just as many V6 owner's with the problem... And they don't have that feature.

SicShelby09

Banned
It's not the owner... It's the transmission. Go to any Land Rover Defender or Ford Transit Van owner forum. They've been dealing with the MT82 mess since 2004. In those applications, the MT82 is mated to 150hp 4-cyl motors and the Land Rover has a direct-connect shifter.

And "skip shift" has nothing to do with this either as there are just as many V6 owner's with the problem... And they don't have that feature.

Im on my second car. The first one had paint issues, and I traded out of it. But one was made 8/10 and the other was 12/10. Both cars shift perfectly and have no gear whine. And like I said, you are chewing up syncros. Something else other than the trans is a miss if you are on your third trans. I would get an aftermarket shifter and bracket when your get your 4th trans. That should help keep your shifts clean. And dont try to man handle it when its cold. No trans on earth will shift clean when the fluid is cold and pooled up on the bottom. My 07 vette shifted like an old truck with it was cold. Par for the course. And that heistation is normal between the 1-2.

hand-filer

Established Member
Im on my second car. The first one had paint issues, and I traded out of it. But one was made 8/10 and the other was 12/10. Both cars shift perfectly and have no gear whine. And like I said, you are chewing up syncros. Something else other than the trans is a miss if you are on your third trans. I would get an aftermarket shifter and bracket when your get your 4th trans. That should help keep your shifts clean. And dont try to man handle it when its cold. No trans on earth will shift clean when the fluid is cold and pooled up on the bottom. My 07 vette shifted like an old truck with it was cold. Par for the course. And that heistation is normal between the 1-2.

He's had everything but the shifter assembly replaced. Makes you wonder if that is the common denominator.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I had ford try to fix my first tranny under warranty for a very loud gear whine with no success. They thought it was the bearings so they replaced all of them, and it didn't work. So Ford replaced it with a new tranny, and the new one even has a very slight whine barely noticeable which I'm cool with, I'd say 5% of what it was, if that. Its a night and day difference on the noise level to the point I say it doesn't have it. If anyone rode in it now you would say the same thing that it doesn't have it. The reason Ford fixed mine was because the ford tech said he test drove a new one for comparison and it also had a very minimal whine and said my original tranny was much louder, that's why he wanted to fix it. I'm glad I got it fixed because I'm sure it would have been a hard sell for private party sell one day because it would have been whining FIX ME FIX ME! Which is why I wanted it fixed.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
You mean this thing.:fm::bash::xpl:
mustangtuning_2170_442960515

Yes the zip tied rubber horse vagina that ford thought would be a good idea to put in our driveline.

jj6077

Established Member
What the NHTSA SHOULD have done was open up a "how to drive a manual trans, and what is NORMAL operation!" school/ I would be willing to bet that half the complaints are from people that dont correctly know how to drive stick, or dont understand that some of their complaint are NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take for instance the hesitation between 1-2. I have driven manual cars for 15 years, and several of them have been mustangs, camaros and corvettes. They all do this. You cant just drive it normal, and think you can just jam it from 1-2. There is always going to be a hesitation while everything catches up. More so when cold. And these are hydrologic clutches, so depending on the amount of moisture in the fluid and temps, your clutch may not work the same from day to day. The corvette guys get really bad pedal feel, to the point where it will stick to the floor with spirited driving because they are boiling the moisture in the fluid, and its loosing volume and failing until the temps go back down. Their fix was to swap out the fluid at the fill spot under the hood with a turkey baster, and putting in dot 4 sync fluid with a much higher boiling temp. And repeating this process a few times a month. It has become normal maintenance like oil changes. This new mustang is still an infant, and its going to take some smart people to figure this out. The last thing we need are a bunch of whiny babies like most of you on here to scream its the car when you are probably the issue. So sick of this shit.

lol calm down.

jmatero

Established Member

I've been driving manuals exclusively for over 25 years... everything from K-cars to Corvettes. I know how to drive.

ALL of these people don't know how to drive????????

5600 posts... 650+ unique users????

And the Land Rover folks can't drive stick? And the Transit van owners can't drive stick? The Land Rover has a shifter coming directly out of the transmission... no remote linkage.. same issues

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread - Page 374 - Ford Mustang Forums

This is the Land Rover Shifter on the MT82:

38892806.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread