Newer than new MGW RACE SPEC shifter!

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
On a side note, I ordered mine on 1/23. Anyone received theirs already that ordered after that??

I ordered mine the thursday before they stopped taking the forum discount and it got here within a week. I think that was the 5th of February and it got here on wednesday the 11th of February. I would call Tomorrow and see why you don't have it yet.

SHUFFLE STEER

Established Member
I imagine the Race Spec. V2 feeling like the short Cobra style shifter in my early 65 Sunbeam Tiger. That car could be safely driven hard while wearing noise cancelling headgear and having the Speedo and Tach covered. You could feel so much vibration it would actually make your hand numb. I used to, and sometimes still do, enjoy that car/driver connection especially for purpose built race car. But alas, I'm a little older now and think I'll stick with the Race Spec V1.

Plus, with the short lateral shift throws of newer transmissions, I'm sure a numb hand = blown engine!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So what update will they be making a month from now?

Word is that he's moving on to designing a shifter for the Challenger.

Even George at MGW said there is no performance benefit. It's purely for the guys who can't get it through their heads that the rear mount was only to reduce nvh and does not hinder the function. There was absolutely no problem with the 1st Race Spec.

This. I've driven both versions a lot and I's be hard pressed to tell them apart based solely on shifting.

I would probably agree with this statement. My NVH on my V2 is pretty bad.

There must be something wrong with your car or installation. I've never seen a dramatic increase of NVH with either race spec. The shifter moves a bit more, but it is 100% in sync with the tranny which is what you want.

I imagine the Race Spec. V2 feeling like the short Cobra style shifter in my early 65 Sunbeam Tiger. That car could be safely driven hard while wearing noise cancelling headgear and having the Speedo and Tach covered. You could feel so much vibration it would actually make your hand numb. I used to, and sometimes still do, enjoy that car/driver connection especially for purpose built race car. But alas, I'm a little older now and think I'll stick with the Race Spec V1.

Plus, with the short lateral shift throws of newer transmissions, I'm sure a numb hand = blown engine!

Yeah, it doesn't transmit anywhere near that much vibration. The shifter still has a lot of dampening material in it.

scott_0

Established Member
Yup because a majority of 2015 owners started griping on how because it was still body mounted, they avoided it. You can call and ask George himself. Why would they even release the original version if they knew they would change it in a month? George tested the V1 on his Boss 302S for months. So yeah, this last minute drastic change is to appeal to the uninformed masses who think that the V1 is crap simply because it's attached. The thing that people constantly fail to understand is that the mount to the body is ONLY to reduce NVH and serves ZERO purpose in terms of structural support. Hell, if it bothered you that much that it was attached to the body, you could just remove the rear bracket and run it like that. Why shouldn't you though? N. V. H.

On a side note, I ordered mine on 1/23. Anyone received theirs already that ordered after that??
I admit, I'm one of the ones that cannot get it out of their heads about the mounting to the body, but I need to stress, I am absolutely 100% happy with my V1 race spec, it is not only a work of art, but is a great feeling shifter

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I admit, I'm one of the ones that cannot get it out of their heads about the mounting to the body, but I need to stress, I am absolutely 100% happy with my V1 race spec, it is not only a work of art, but is a great feeling shifter

Take your rear bushing bracket off and drive around for a while. See if you notice a difference.

bslaw83

Established Member
There must be something wrong with your car or installation. I've never seen a dramatic increase of NVH with either race spec. The shifter moves a bit more, but it is 100% in sync with the tranny which is what you want.

I've checked the install, & everything looks good. All of the dynamat is in the right places and everything is tightened up snug. I think I've narrowed it down to my shift knob. I have a custom one from EPCO and think it may be the culprit. Ordered a new one from Flossy, so hopefully that fixes it. I'll find out if I ever get it in. The NVH doesn't bother me. I rather enjoy the added noise actually. I'm just more concerned at this point because no one else seems to be having the issue. lol

Users who are viewing this thread