Newer than new MGW RACE SPEC shifter!

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Anybody got the newer than new MGW RACE SPEC shifter? How does it compare to the "older" one??:dw:

1423840810_zps40f20782.jpg

1423840808_zps6dd77be4.jpg

1423840807_zpse3bcdb6d.jpg

1423840805_zps8346c3b2.jpg

:cryying::(

Wonder if I can trade up???? lol

devildog1679

Established Member
The older race spec sucks compared to this one. Better switch ASAP LOL. Really its about the same, they even say so int he video regarding the new design. They'll have a new design again in 1 month LOL.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
It doesn't make a difference. No need to switch! It's just a different method to reducing NVH. Mainly for peace of mind of being completed dismounted from the body. But it genuinely doesn't make a difference.

scott_0

Established Member
I wish George would offer a retrofit for the first gen Race Spec, I know they say it being mounted to the body makes no difference, I cant help but feel there is in fact a difference

bslaw83

Established Member
I got this one Wednesday. Already had the car apart and installed it that night. Changed over from stock, so not the Race Spec V1.

Shifts solid. Dust boot was a PITA. Picked up a little noise, but no complaints. Can't wait to thrash this thing some.

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
Even George at MGW said there is no performance benefit. It's purely for the guys who can't get it through their heads that the rear mount was only to reduce nvh and does not hinder the function. There was absolutely no problem with the 1st Race Spec.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Even George at MGW said there is no performance benefit. It's purely for the guys who can't get it through their heads that the rear mount was only to reduce nvh and does not hinder the function. There was absolutely no problem with the 1st Race Spec.

Exactly. It's strictly for peace of mind and nothing else. In fact, I imagine the V1 would have reduced NVH due to being able to dissipate any vibration through the body mount which is essentially a huge dampener relative to the Trex arms of the V2 lol

hand-filer

Established Member
Exactly. It's strictly for peace of mind and nothing else. In fact, I imagine the V1 would have reduced NVH due to being able to dissipate any vibration through the body mount which is essentially a huge dampener relative to the Trex arms of the V2 lol

Based on my limited experience in dealing with NVH on automated drive systems at the design level, I concur with your comments. I have the gen 1 race spec and look forward to proving it out in the spring.

scott_0

Established Member

so they changed it that drastically less than a month or two after the original race spec was released? come on man, I ain't buying it, that being said, I'd like some sort of retrofit for my original race spec, but it works great for me either way. on another note, I really like that white MGW shift knob, so much so, I just ordered one!

SterlingCoyote

This is my first post in this forum and with that, tis' the season for mods and upgrades! I actually put an order in for the original shifter they had on their site for so long only to be called a told they don't make that one anymore. I would have been perfectly happy with the original as I had one in my '11. However, I will be ordering the new one soon as I am in the process of doing mods before my GT/CS hits the road in a couple weeks. They start another run, I'm told, in about another week so, I'll probably put my order in just before.

What ever reason there is to change the design, I don't know of any other company that produces shifters, that has more dedication to putting out such engineered quality. I look forward to getting one and installing it. :beer:

bslaw83

Established Member

I would probably agree with this statement. My NVH on my V2 is pretty bad.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I would probably agree with this statement. My NVH on my V2 is pretty bad.

I have the lasts version race spec and noticed no increase in nvh over the stock shifter.

I like the fact it is completely isolated from the body making the transmission more like the older style transmissions used in pervious mustangs.

I did install plenty of the supplied dynamat on and around the shifter, linkage, and body.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
so they changed it that drastically less than a month or two after the original race spec was released? come on man, I ain't buying it, that being said, I'd like some sort of retrofit for my original race spec, but it works great for me either way. on another note, I really like that white MGW shift knob, so much so, I just ordered one!

Yup because a majority of 2015 owners started griping on how because it was still body mounted, they avoided it. You can call and ask George himself. Why would they even release the original version if they knew they would change it in a month? George tested the V1 on his Boss 302S for months. So yeah, this last minute drastic change is to appeal to the uninformed masses who think that the V1 is crap simply because it's attached. The thing that people constantly fail to understand is that the mount to the body is ONLY to reduce NVH and serves ZERO purpose in terms of structural support. Hell, if it bothered you that much that it was attached to the body, you could just remove the rear bracket and run it like that. Why shouldn't you though? N. V. H.

On a side note, I ordered mine on 1/23. Anyone received theirs already that ordered after that??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread