NEWBIE Termi buyer. Some questions for the experts..

ad2330

Established Member
Hey gents - well as the title states, I'm a total newbie to the domestic game, let alone Fords. But, a terminator has always been on my bucket list, and I've got myself honing in on a particular car. I'm close to working something out, so I should own a cobra very soon! It's an '03 10th anniv., TR Vert, w/ 13k miles. (see pics below)

Having said that, the car I've got my eyes on currently has about 470 at the wheels on the stock blower. I'm thinking of upgrading, but want to maintain an extremely reliable car.

I'm thinking a VMP blower, but I just don't know enough about what's all out there. I've obviously heard a lot about Kenne Bell's/Whipple's, but that's probably because they're the most popular? I'm basically looking to achieve an extremely safe (is this even possible?) 500-600 whp. Nothing really more than that.

Here is a list of the way the current car is modded per the seller (forum member, great guy and has been a great resource.)

I'm just posting mainly because I like getting multiple opinions on my cars from people who're 'doing it'. It helps getting feedback and what's worked/not worked for others. Plus, I'm just pumped about this new venture :banana:

Current Upgrades
Borla Stinger cat-back
BBK off-road X pipe
MGW shifter
Optima battery
2.8" pulley
SCT custom chip
LFP intercooler
Sub-frame connectors
H&R Super Sport springs
Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber plates
Mach 1 solid rear axle with Moser axles
Drilled/slotted Baer Eradispeed rotors
Metco 4-piece idler set
Metco tensioner bracket
Maximum Motorsports adjustable LCA's
J&M upper control arms
Maximum Motorsports isolators
Driveshaft safety loop
Russell braided brake lines
5% tint
JLT oil seperator
JLT pre-filter
Cobra grill emblem
Polished rear bumper letters
8" shorty antenna
JLT Ram Air Intake
Maximum Motorsports 3/8" wheel spacers
Lethal extended lug nuts
MMD hood raise kit
Saleen replica chrome wheels - 18x10/18x9
BFG KDW tires - 275-35-18
BFG KDW Drag radial tires - 295-35-18
SVT custom center caps
LFP Hood Vents
HPP Racing custom tune & plugs

Thanks, and let me know your thoughts on how to get there based on what the car currently has.

Cobra 1.jpgCobra 2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

cj428mach

Established Member
looks like you'll need to do something about the MAF and the fuel system if you want to go with a bigger blower.

I would go with the the VMP TVS its the newest technology, best thought out (removable elbow), and the cheapest. It'll probably out perform the rest of similar size as well.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
He calls it a "termi". he will also need to paint it pink.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can be content with 500-525rwhp, I recommend porting your blower. You could either stick with the 2.80 upper pulley you now have with the stock lower crank pulley. Or add a 6lb. lower with a 2.90/2.93 upper pulley, or keep the 2.80 pulley and add a 4 lb. lower. You will likely need larger injectors and larger fuel pump/s or Kenne Bell BAP, and a larger MAF. And a new tune, of course. But, IF you think you'll want closer to 600rwhp then skip the porting and consider a VMP blower. You will need to spend more on fuel system mods. If the mods are done properly and you have a good, safe tune, you'll have a reliable setup with either option. You'll like want to beef up your suspension to better handle the increased power. Just some food for thought.

If you haven't browsed through my Terminator FAQs, I recommend you do so. It contains info on the suspension mods I referred to.

ad2330

Established Member
looks like you'll need to do something about the MAF and the fuel system if you want to go with a bigger blower.

I would go with the the VMP TVS its the newest technology, best thought out (removable elbow), and the cheapest. It'll probably out perform the rest of similar size as well.

Thank you, that's helpful. I did see on their site that they've got a new batch coming, so my timing might be just right.

He calls it a "termi". he will also need to paint it pink.

Ha...didn't realize this was such a sensative slang term. Point taken.

If you can be content with 500-525rwhp, I recommend porting your blower. You could either stick with the 2.80 upper pulley you now have with the stock lower crank pulley. Or add a 6lb. lower with a 2.90/2.93 upper pulley, or keep the 2.80 pulley and add a 4 lb. lower. You will likely need larger injectors and larger fuel pump/s or Kenne Bell BAP, and a larger MAF. And a new tune, of course. But, IF you think you'll want closer to 600rwhp then skip the porting and consider a VMP blower. You will need to spend more on fuel system mods. If the mods are done properly and you have a good, safe tune, you'll have a reliable setup with either option. You'll like want to beef up your suspension to better handle the increased power. Just some food for thought.

If you haven't browsed through my Terminator FAQs, I recommend you do so. It contains info on the suspension mods I referred to.

Very informative, thanks so much.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Bob ^^^^ has some real good advice! I started with a Posi Ported Eaton - made 549 rwhp 570 rwtq on e85 - ran in the 10.8's at 133 mph before I switched over to a TVS!

Fuel mods and a real good tune is essential!

Last edited:

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
nice looking car, all great advice above, honestly not worth the 30hp with a ported eaton in my eyes, the TVS is a great little blower im going this route.

cj428mach

Established Member
nice looking car, all great advice above, honestly not worth the 30hp with a ported eaton in my eyes, the TVS is a great little blower im going this route.

I agree. Ported blowers cost too much for too little gain. You can find a used twin screw for 2k from time to time and make into the 700's on e85 with them.

Users who are viewing this thread