New Track Photos

Cheyne

Established Member
I took my car out to Blackhawk Farms over the weekend to shake it down before we run the Denver Grand Prix in a couple of weeks and here are a couple of photos. We have the temps where we want them, 226F water and 257F oil and the air temp was 103F. We built a air box between the bumper cover and the radiator to force all air through the radiator and supercharger heat exchanger. The bottom of the car is sealed off from the front of the splitter to the center of the front axles with under tray/wing. The only problem we ran into, which killed the weekend, was a wheel weight came off and the vibration cracked a hard line on the steering rack. I had convered the rack to Aeroquip TFE lines and now I'm removing the hard lines on the rack and making them into Aeroquip TFE instead of hard lines.

Qualifying6095.jpg

Qualifying6100.jpg

Qualifying6096.jpg

Qualifying6107.jpg

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I like everything except the wing but it's a race car so I'll let that slide! ;-)

Nice pics man! :beer:

RJCobra

Established Member
Ever do any datalogging on track? Curious to see what the IAT2's are with your mods. :banana:

Did you get the blower ported?

Cheyne

Established Member
I will post a picture of the air box later today when I get home.

To date I have the following modifications to the car.

1. Evans water pump and inlet with no t-stat.

2. Fluidyne 3 row 2 pass radiator that is 28" x 17" x 4" with the inlet and outlet on the right side.

3. Fluidyne Therm-HX Oil/Water Heat Exchanger

4. Remote Oil Filter and Accusump

5. Fluidyne Supercharger Heat Exchanger

6. I tossed the stock coolant catch tank and SC tank. Both are now Moroso tanks mounted on the firewall above the motor where the old brake master used to be. This way I can make sure all the air is purged and the weight has been moved further back.

7. Air box which I will post pictures of later.

8. Modified version of the coolant mod. We welded on -12 fittings on both sides and then ran each side up to the radiator. We also welded shut the old return into the back of the water pump.

9. Stewart electric water pump acting as a booster to the Evans pump.

10. Tiger Racing carbon hood with 12x18 vents setup to work with the air box to extract the hot air as quickly as possible. Plus the hood weights 4lbs

11. Water and WW in both the engine and supercharger.

12. SCT Pro Racer package and tunning by Logon Motorsports. On their dyno we should about 450hp at the rear wheels. With a Billetflow 3.10" pulley, 12 psi is the series max for a SC Mustang.

13. Not cooling, but I have a complete Aeromotive return style fuel system with rails from Sullivan Performance. The pump is a A1000 with stock injectors. I also have Mac LT Heaters with straight pipes.

We have not ported the blower. Instead I have been working with the WCGT tech dept to get the Whipple blower allowed. Now that it has a Ford part number it should be easier. I'm also getting ready to have the cast iron block swapped for a aluminum block to help take some more weight out of the car. At the same time I will send the heads to Fox Lake to be ported and have new race springs put in. The series would like us to be at 500hp at the flywheel, but I have found that my 550hp at the flywheel makes me feel like a dog tied to a stake. In reality I need somewhere around 600hp. Currently the Vettes and Vipers walk me in a straight line.

I also need to remove another 200lbs out of the car. I'm also in the process of making my own SLA out of stock car parts from Lefthander. We will also most likely swap the IRS for a 9", I have 8 left over from my GT1/Trans-Am Olds Cutlass. The goal is better handleing and to get the car down to 2850 to 2900 range. The class weight is 3000lbs, but I want to move more to the rear with out chopping the firewall out and moving it back 7".

Cheyne

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Cheyne said:
I will post a picture of the air box later today when I get home.

Tiger Racing carbon hood with 12x18 vents setup to work with the air box to extract the hot air as quickly as possible. Plus the hood weights 4lbs

Great! Did you get your Tiger Racing carbon hood from them directly?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That car is awesome! Must be a blast to drive a road course in it. Nice mods, too!

Cheyne

Established Member
I got the body work; fenders, hood, roof and trunk lid, directly from Tiger Racing. The parts are race only, but take a fair amount of weight off. The roof is 5lbs and is way stiffer then the stock piece. Plus I was able to remove the roof frame. The hood is 6lbs. Paul Brown created the bodywork and made it avaliable so meet the World Challenge rules that it be for sale. Here is a link to the body work.

http://www.tiger-racing.com/for_sale.html

As for laptimes. I hang my head in shame. I never really got up to speed. I think I ran a couple of 1:24's. I should be in the 1:12 to 1:11 range. My wife tells me not to be to upset since I ran the 1:24's with out power steering. I had a wheel weight come off on the first lap of qualifing and the vibration broke one of the hard lines on the power steering rack. I'm going to remove both hard lines that are on the rack and replace them with Aeroquip TFE Power Steering line that will take vibrations better. The weekend was all about finding more problems with the car and seeing if we fixed other problems.

Cheyne

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
your wife is right......and it doesn't matter how well you do; you're still our hero :bowdown: :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Coming together nice Cheyne!!!

Nice job representing the Terminators with a true BLOOD AND GUTS full on race version!!! :bowdown:

I'm dieing to see that air box too... I've got something in mind I plan on trying to fab up...

Cobra Rs and full boogie race cars don't have an A/C condenser blocking the rad... Us streeters do... so we need all the cooling air we can get to that rad.

Best of luck to you!!! You've put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that car... not to mention money!!!

I'll be rooting for ya!!!

Jimmy :thumbsup:

Cheyne

Established Member
Here are some pictures. About 90% of the fab work was done by my wife the night before we left for Blackhawk to test. The guys at Advanced Autosport had made the brakcet to mount the SC Heat Exchanger and Scott Whitehead had made the upper piece at the Cleveland GP. The two tabs that stick out the front a dzus tabs for the splitter/bumper cover to attach to. The bottom goes under the radiator and sticks out far enough to get under the opening in the bumper cover. We put the rubber hose across the top the give the hood a place to rest and before we normally head on track we put a piece of tape across the front of the hood to help seal it down.
The under tray which is a copy of a Trans-Am/GT1 piece I have used in the past.

img_3683.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That bumper reinforcement bar blocks a lot of air, and is heavy...
I figured that had to get trimmed, I like how you captured the air and kept it from going off to the sides it has to stack up build pressure and go through the coolers and rad and exchanger... can't go anywhere else!!!

Nice solution!!!

I saw a thread on another forum asking SCT about the EVIL ---->LIMP MODE
250F is pretty hot for a water mix coolant...
Have you thought about the Evans waterless???
If you do ever get to adjust limp mode to a hotter setting you could get away with no boil overs with waterless... no hot spots either.

You are already running some of their stuff.

Just a thought... Some of the dirt track guys back home(Syracuse, NY) have been running it...at the end of the race sometimes there is quite a bit of dirt on the rad... when you really can't afford to be letting up to save a motor!

Jimmy :beer:

Last edited:

Cheyne

Established Member
Thanks...

I wanted to run Evans coolant, but the SCCA banned it in World Challenge. We have to run water and we are allowed to add WW or simlar product. I doubt I will see water temps as high as I did last year, but I want to be prepared for the worst. The evil limp mode just gets in the way. My right foot is the only limp mode I need. If it is early in a race and temps go high I know to pull over. If it is the last lap I could care less what the temps are. After this season is over we are going to evaulate our options on computers and engines. If the SCT stuff work we will stick to it, but I'm also looking at doing a Motec setup. We also might look into a aluminum block 5.4L N/A from VT Engines.

Cheyne

Cheyne

Established Member
The baby cooler is actually the power steering cooler. My trans and diff coolers are mounted in the trunk of the car. This past weekend we ran oil temps around 250F. Not bad since it was 103F at the track. Here is a picture of our diff/trans cooler setup. The carbon piece came from Roush Racing's garage sale. The pump mounted in the trunk is for the trans and the diff cooler pump is mounted to the IRS carrier.

IMG_3411.jpg

Thanks Doug... I have gotten many compliments on your pulley setup and diff brace. We did have to modifiy the brace a little to clear my diff cooler ports, but it works like a champ on the standing starts we use in World Challenge.

Cheyne

Users who are viewing this thread