New to RWD V8 Drag Racing

usdm420

Established Member
Well, went to install the Boss intake manifold last night and snapped a damn bolt off....FML

It snapped on 80 inches of torque too. So now I have a nice manifold leak where it meets the head, and a bolt snapped off.

Today after work it's back to the grind. Gotta get the manifold back off, try and get the snapped bolt out, then get the other half of the bolt out of the manifold and find a replacement one at the hardware store........THEN we'll try this again. SMH

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Recognize the car and the community. I live in Quailwood as well. I have the Destroyer Gray Charger Hellcat and have been to a few of the local meets. I’ll also be heading down to Wildhorse with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usdm420

Established Member
Recognize the car and the community. I live in Quailwood as well. I have the Destroyer Gray Charger Hellcat and have been to a few of the local meets. I’ll also be heading down to Wildhorse with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man I see you around a lot....we'll meet up this weekend.

Got the snapped manifold bolt out using a reverse bit. Then used a dab of Red RTV on the intake ports just to ensure a proper seal. Hand tightened the manifold onto the RTV and let it sit for an hour, then proceeded to torque to spec again. Fitment was perfect and the car was up and running. Still gotta datalog it for a final revision, but she runs good.

snappedbolt.jpeg

boss mani.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
Got the driveshaft and control arms in last night....car feels really solid from a dig now. Dead hooks with a 5k clutch dump on the street. Still not too sure I like this Boss manifold over my stocker....even taking her up to 7500rpms. It's weird.

I know the powerband shifts higher in the rpm range, but I'm not sure it feels much faster, even from 5500+. Then again I know it's just me because every Boss manifold dyno test I've seen has shown noticeable power gains.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Got the driveshaft and control arms in last night....car feels really solid from a dig now. Dead hooks with a 5k clutch dump on the street.

wow! hooks on those slippery streets at a 5k dump on those nittos?? sounds like it is set up pretty good! nice build so far, congrats

usdm420

Established Member
Welp, hit the track on the new setup. Kind of disappointed, mainly because I had a number in my head I wanted to hit....but the track DA just wasn't having it (3500).

Consistent 12.2 @ 116mph...and that was short shifting it at 7k because any higher than that and I'd get tranny lockout going into gear. Next mods are an MGW solid mount shifter and RST clutch. She has an 11 in her as she sits, even at 3500 DA. We'll get those upgrades ordered in the next month or 2, and give her another couple track days during the cooler months.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
very cool, i bet it is a blast to drive. so do you like it better than foreign/fwd for drag racing so far?

just a heads up, if you plan to do alot of drag racing, which it sounds like you are, mcleod recommends the rxt (ceramic puck discs) instead of the rst. the conventional organic lining of the rst can glaze too easily with sticky tires on a prepped track.

usdm420

Established Member
Def having more fun learning this car than any import I've had.

As for the RXT, everything I've ever read says to go RST...and NEVER the RXT. At least not on fairly stock MT82 cars.

usdm420

Established Member
Another run. This one was against an LS1 on 175 shot...ran him down on the top end after a shit launch where she wheel hopped bad out of the hole.

usdm420

Established Member
boost.jpg

Welp, I tried logging in with my old account and couldn't get it...and the Captcha error kept popping up even though no Captcha verification window ever popped up.

ANYWAYS...the car has come a LONG way since I last checked in. We just got done installing an ON3 76mm single turbo kit.
VMP BAP, ID1000 injectors, Boss 302 Laguna Seca gauge pod with AFR, oil pressure, and boost gauges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread