New to RWD V8 Drag Racing

usdm420

Established Member
I've been drag racing FWD imports for about 20 years now, and finally decided to come to the "dark side" of domestics. Bought this 2012 GT/CS back in December of 2015. One owner, CPO car still under warranty (still have 2500 on full warranty matter of fact).

She is an MT-82 car with factory 3.73's.

Paid the car off this January and decided she's getting the full treatment. End goal is 9's and I'm looking forward to the journey getting there.

Here's some pictures of her day I picked her up
gtcs1.jpg
gtcs2.jpg
gtcs3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

usdm420

Established Member
First step was getting the exhaust work done. Full 3" piping + X-pipe from the stock manifolds back....yanked the cats out (no emissions where I live), and put some simple Flowmasters on it.
straightpipe.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
Next logical step was a cold air intake, and suspension.

I got a deal on a very lightly used Airaid, and I ordered a set of Eibach Sportlines and Maximum Motorsports panhard bar. During this time I stumbled across another deal on a set of 15x8 Jegs rears on Nitto 555R radials.
nittoday1.jpg
nitto0.jpg

airaid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

usdm420

Established Member
I started kicking around the idea of nitrous. I had run nitrous before on a previous Honda drag car so I'm familiar with it. I picked up a complete NX plate kit with MSD window switch, bottle heater, NGK 6510 plugs, the works.

This idea stuck with my ADD ass for all of about 2 weeks. I ended up selling the kit with the intentions of going twin turbo over Winter.

nitrous.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
Meanwhile, it was on to beefing up the drive line and suspension some more.
Ordered up a Shaftmasters 1-pc driveshaft, BMR rear lower control arms, BMR upper control arm, and UPR upper mount. I also put SR Performance Struts up front with Strange adjustable shocks in the rear (no pics of these :()
shaftmasters2.jpg

Also ordered a complete set of Jegs SSR Star wheels with bias ply tires.
17x4.5 up front, 15x8 out back. 28" Hoosier QTP's out back, 17" M/T ET Frontrunners up front.
wheelsslicks.jpg
Hoosier1.jpg
hoosier2.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
Just got my Boss 302 intake manifold in after being ported by Bret Barber out of Tucson, AZ.

bossmani.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
pbdyno.jpg
This weekend will be the installation of the control arms, driveshaft, and Boss manifold.

Car is tuned by Palm Beach Dyno
driveshaft.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
By the way, car ran a 12.7 @ 112 completely bone stock on 255 Continental DW street tires. I'll be heading back to the track next weekend (14th) in hopes of a solid mid-high 11's pass depending on the DA that day (Phoenix weather SUCKS).

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Wow, love threads like these. Welcome to the forum and hope you keep us posted with updates. I have a feeling with that boss intake you are going either the single or twin turbo route!!

usdm420

Established Member
Wow, love threads like these. Welcome to the forum and hope you keep us posted with updates. I have a feeling with that boss intake you are going either the single or twin turbo route!!

Plan is ON3 twin 60's over Winter. We'll see if things go as planned though lol

usdm420

Established Member
How about their single kit, supposed to be released later this month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I thought about it....but the kit is just so new and I remember all the hiccups of the original ON3 twin setups. At this point they have the kinks worked out on the twin setup and it's been proven over and over to make consistent, reliable power....so that's the route I'm going to go.

Reaper14

Established Member
I thought about it....but the kit is just so new and I remember all the hiccups of the original ON3 twin setups. At this point they have the kinks worked out on the twin setup and it's been proven over and over to make consistent, reliable power....so that's the route I'm going to go.
True, my broke ass won't boost until mid next year & hoping to see some good results by then from the single kit. CPR might be the best bet, but that year wait too much for me. EDP a good option for a single as well, good luck & keep us posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Just got my Boss 302 intake manifold in after being ported by Bret Barber out of Tucson, AZ.

View attachment 1436992

You bought the holy grail of intakes. Good job. ;)

I've always loved the spoilers on those cars. I like the dark underside with the color matched paint on top. Nice contrast, especially on that silver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread