New study from Amsoil

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Although that top oil is being compared to our least expensive oil, it still isn't warranty compliant.... ours is. :shrug:

Also, we both know that if a warranty issue were to arise, the UOA would confirm that both Signature Series and Royal Purple base line 5W-30 were both within the scope of a pass. The warranty wouldn't be denied.

Therefore, this isn't a viable tactic in this conversation. Let's focus on money versus product.

VictorySong

Established Member
Always love the Amsoil threads. They've got a propaganda arm that would have made the Nazis jealous. For some reason, all of the Amsoil threads you see on here and other sites have a group of old members making a thread followed by a bunch of Amsoil supporters who have recently signed up. Odd isn't it?

FWIW. Amsoil has always tried to strong arm their way into the performance scene. That's why real engine builders who have been around for a long time don't use their shit. It got old having the Amsoil guy coming by the shop every day(over the last few decades) telling you how shitty the lubes you've been using on your engines are compared to their wonder lubes.:lol1:

The reality is, if your racing you'll be draining the oil often enough that the brand preference really doesn't make a difference. If you aren't, then the discussion is moot and you can roll whatever the manufacturer recommends.

I run RP 5W-30 in my Cobra and a variety of RP oils in the racing engines we've had over the years. In fact, we had a nasty roll over where wind got under our SG car at the finish and the car slid quite a ways(on its roof) before it got shut down. Sent the engine back to Shaffiroff thinking it was KIA but, he said he couldn't tell it apart from one he had just put together.:dancenana:

SVTDice

Established Member
Always love the Amsoil threads. They've got a propaganda arm that would have made the Nazis jealous. For some reason, all of the Amsoil threads you see on here and other sites have a group of old members making a thread followed by a bunch of Amsoil supporters who have recently signed up. Odd isn't it?

Honestly, I've been using Amsoil for a few years now and I could not be happier. There's a reason new members are signing up for the preferred customer accounts. Its a solid deal for me anyways.

FWIW. Amsoil has always tried to strong arm their way into the performance scene. That's why real engine builders who have been around for a long time don't use their shit. It got old having the Amsoil guy coming by the shop every day(over the last few decades) telling you how shitty the lubes you've been using on your engines are compared to their wonder lubes.:lol1:

Nobody ever said they are "Wonder lubes" they have thousands of UOA's, independent tests, lab results, proving its a solid and fantastic performing oil. Amsoil is mostly exclusive by online orders besides a few shops around here that carry it. That's how Amsoil wants it to be, Quality over quantity. To be honest every brand of oil has its claims, etc. Who would honestly sell a product and say, Well our oil is "Alright" it will get the job "done" but there is better then what we have, just saying. I'm not saying Amsoil has the best products in the world, Because no company can claim that...But I'm honestly happy with the products I've tried. I have done enough research on what I'm running to not second guess it even in the most harsh punishment.

The reality is, if your racing you'll be draining the oil often enough that the brand preference really doesn't make a difference. If you aren't, then the discussion is moot and you can roll whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Now here is where I really disagree with you. Normally what the manufacturer recommends is wrong. I'm not saying you're screwed if you go with that. But there is for sure better. EVERY Single auto manufacturer tells you to buy there oil, and there oil filter, Why? Because they make more money, That's why. Also due to fine's implemented by GOV in the US causes manufactures to cut corners to save money. If they actually gave a shit about the longevity of your engine they would actually suggest a higher quality oil with a better base stock and a stronger additive package. Sure certain cars need certain spec's but for the most part, most oil's nowadays cover 90% of all of the auto's specs. past, present, and future. Another thing. If they actually cared they would give you a chart depending on your climate. Last company I know to do this was Jaguar. Eg. 10w30 in summer and 5-20 in sub zero. However it is not as strict nowadays due to advancements in synthetics having better flow properties.

Second. Its a really bad idea to run "any" brand of oil during racing. If that was the case I'll just run some corner store oil when I decide to flog my car...Alright let me explain something to you. There is far more to oil's then some of the bullshit that they put on the label. When it comes to oil there's certain things that quality literally will make or break your car. You think I'm kidding? Go look at some LS7 engine tear downs. Or bearing wear tests, etc etc.

Heat is one of the worst enemy's for most fluids period, This goes for Engine, Transmission, Diff, and brake fluid. Ever heard of something called Thermal runaway? Yeah, It makes really bad days. I could write you a book on it.

Anyways, if you're running RP stick with it, Its better then most of the stuff you can buy off the shelf. Simple.

Last edited:

I run RP 5W-30 in my Cobra and a variety of RP oils in the racing engines we've had over the years. In fact, we had a nasty roll over where wind got under our SG car at the finish and the car slid quite a ways(on its roof) before it got shut down. Sent the engine back to Shaffiroff thinking it was KIA but, he said he couldn't tell it apart from one he had just put together.:dancenana:

We have plenty of Amsoil users actually spending the few bucks to get a used oil analysis, with long oil change intervals, compared to what most are doing.

Feel free to post up some Royal Purple used oil analysis results so we Amspoil users have something to put in our pipe and smoke...

VictorySong

Established Member
Seems like the church of scamsoil has made some pretty swell arguments. From LS7 "race engines" to independent *cough* bullshit *cough* testing showing their superiority to every oil on the market.

That's why they have such an extensive dealer network and don't rely on a group of suckers who bought into a pyramid scheme, have certified oils which have been subject to independent tests, and have to rush and defend their products with newly minted accounts like Royal Purple does. Oh wait, did I get that wrong?:lol:

I wonder if I'll live forever with Amsoil's Altrum supplement line?:lol1:

SVTDice

Established Member
Seems like the church of scamsoil has made some pretty swell arguments. From LS7 "race engines" to independent *cough* bullshit *cough* testing showing their superiority to every oil on the market.

That's why they have such an extensive dealer network and don't rely on a group of suckers who bought into a pyramid scheme, have certified oils which have been subject to independent tests, and have to rush and defend their products with newly minted accounts like Royal Purple does. Oh wait, did I get that wrong?:lol:

I wonder if I'll live forever with Amsoil's Altrum supplement line?:lol1:

The LS series has been notorious for losing engines in extended high RPM applications due to a few things. Quality of oil is one of them. You should do some research. Second. VOA's and UOA's are independent. Blackstone, AVLabs, Etc etc.

Honestly, wish you would take the Red pill as a supplement.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is a fun thread. Unleashed, what is your opinion on these bearing tests?

Oil Test Royal Purple Vs Amsoil - YouTube

That machine is called a 1 arm bandit. They are notorious for inconsistent results. In other words, how fast you add weight/friction will determine final results. In fact, Amsoil did an informational video on why to watch out for the results from this machine.

One Arm Bandit Video

Don't know about you, but after watching this video, it makes me want to buy dandruff shampoo for my engine.

The other test that Amsoil does use, 4 ball wear test, is a legit test manufactured for gear oils, not engine lubricants. Therefore, I do not support, or ever use the results as a tool for Amsoil's top tier formulations.

Those who question their multi level marketing, then call it a pyramid scheme. You guys are wrong. I could get deep into this subject, however.....the chain retail stores in the 70's should have taken the product when they had the chance (they refused because it wasn't a big oil name, Texaco, Exxon, Chevron, etc). Now they have to take "no" for an answer, as the owner refuses to sell to any corporation that has more than 15 stores. Wal Mart has been begging for a very long time.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
We don't want you on our team. You don't have the right stuff. :cryying:

snap1_zpse0053f3a.jpg

GotBoost?!

Established Member
We don't want you on our team. You don't have the right stuff. :cryying:

:dw:

Anyways,I've ran Royal Purple oil for 2 oil changes now,currently have 500 miles on the current fill,when it's time to change,I'm switching to Amsoil SS. After reading and studying so many UOA's,the proof is in the pudding as they say,there's always lower wear numbers with Amsoil then Royal Purple. I emailed RP last week or so asking if their API oil on the shelf was indeed a Group 3 oil,and all was ignored and I was given a copy/paste email reply.

Anyways,I'm done ranting about RP,I used to run Mobil 1 until they "cheapened" out on their motor oil formulation and now it seems RP has stepped into that direction as well.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Mind if I ask what their exact reply was?

In 2006, after Mobil 1 changed to hydrocracked petroleum (google search "Visom").....

New generic replies were created for Mobil's technical support department to handle questions like the one above. "What base oil is being used"

Amsoil is open about it.

OE = 100% hydrocracked
XL = true synthetic/hydrocracked blend
SS = 100% true synthetic

Last edited:

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Mind if I ask what their exact reply was?

In 2006, after Mobil 1 changed to hydrocracked petroleum (google search "Visom").....

New generic replies were created for Mobil's technical support department to handle questions like the one above. "What base oil is being used"

Amsoil is open about it.

OE = 100% hydrocracked
XL = true synthetic/hydrocracked blend
SS = 100% true synthetic

Check pm for what was sent to me from Royal Purple's tech.

1hot281

Established Member
Hmm lot of interesting info being brought to light in this thread...

I'm also curious about what was said above: Is Royal Purple now selling a true synth/hydro base as their "cheaper" API-approved line?

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I am never biased towards a particular brand of oil, I do tons of research, spend many long nights on BITOG and looking at UOA's to pick my oils. In my Audi S4, I ran Mobil 1 0w-40. Why? because it was the best. Did the same research when I bought the cobra, and I came to the conclusion that Amsoil SS can't be beat. The second someone shows me that X oil is better, you bet I'm switching.

"My buddy has been building motors for 30 years and he swears by RP" or "I've ran RP in my car for 10 years and when I opened it up it looked brand new inside"......................That seems to be a lot of the kind of stuff that feeds the RP flame. And that just isn't factual evidence.

The FACTS show that royal purple is not the best. It's as simple as that.

My girlfriend's corolla and my family's cars all get Pennzoil Ultra................and you know why. Because the proof is in the pudding. $35 for a jug of GOOD oil and a good filter can't be beat.

VictorySong

Established Member
I am never biased towards a particular brand of oil, I do tons of research, spend many long nights on BITOG and looking at UOA's to pick my oils. In my Audi S4, I ran Mobil 1 0w-40. Why? because it was the best. Did the same research when I bought the cobra, and I came to the conclusion that Amsoil SS can't be beat. The second someone shows me that X oil is better, you bet I'm switching.

"My buddy has been building motors for 30 years and he swears by RP" or "I've ran RP in my car for 10 years and when I opened it up it looked brand new inside"......................That seems to be a lot of the kind of stuff that feeds the RP flame. And that just isn't factual evidence.

My girlfriend's corolla and my family's cars all get Pennzoil Ultra................and you know why. Because the proof is in the pudding. $35 for a jug of GOOD oil and a good filter can't be beat.

:lol: Real world experience isn't relevant, "unbiased" testing of oils straight off the shelf is. Amsoil FTW!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Is Royal Purple now selling a true synth/hydro base as their "cheaper" API-approved line?

Simple answer, yes. Possibly even 100% group III hydrocracked with no PAO or Ester base oil at all. Needless to say, the $9.xx price you pay in the store is laughable.

This was the same consensus after Mobil 1 changed their formulation. Older men were insistent that it was the "bees knees", and you couldn't buy better. This was based on their years of experience with the product. They had no idea the formulation was secretly changed with cheaper product, yet the price kept increasing.

Also, in all fairness to Royal Purple, they still have the HPS and XPR line of lubricants, which are supposedly top tier. This thread is only exposing Royal Purple's base line API SN lubricant.

In the future, I plan to test a virgin sample of HPS for NOACK Volatility. The truth must be revealed.

On the plus, Pennzoil Ultra is the best commonly found lubricant you can buy off the shelf right now. Just make sure you check the API starburst on the back to insure it's the SN formulation. Ultra's SM formulation wasn't nearly as pure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread