New study from Amsoil

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
is there anything Amsoil SS 10w30 does better than PU 10w30? After seeing quite a few UOA PU seems to be beating it in every category...Do you think PU should be the new perfrormance oil?

thnx UB:rockon:

Find some 5W-30 or 10W-30 UOAs we can look at. You have me confused with "beating it in every category", as Ultra isn't marketed as an extended drain lubricant.

What categories are you seeing that's improved? Ultra API SN is a huge improvement over Pennzoil's API SM formulation for sure. If you can find it, hands down a winner from anything you can buy off the shelf. Definitely gives Signature Series a run for its money in some categories. The good news is, you are getting what you pay for with Ultra, unlike RP HPS.

Tons of them over there, it's the forums favorite oil.

It sure is, and for good reason. However, there are cons to Ultra. Currently it's hard to find in local stores in most areas. When you do find it, you pay $9.xx per quart. However, it's worth it if someone runs it for what it's worth. In the Coyote, a 10,000 miles oil change interval is cake. I'd run Ultra up to 10,000 miles or one year, whichever occurs first, then perform a UOA for a nice report.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
It sure is, and for good reason. However, there are cons to Ultra. Currently it's hard to find in local stores in most areas. When you do find it, you pay $9.xx per quart. However, it's worth it if someone runs it for what it's worth. In the Coyote, a 10,000 miles oil change interval is cake. I'd run Ultra up to 10,000 miles or one year, whichever occurs first, then perform a UOA for a nice report.

No one on BITOG will be buying Ultra now that Wall-Mart stopped carrying it. Pennzoil totally screwed up the marketing of Ultra. To the average joe Platinum sounds better than Ultra and it's a couple bucks cheaper. I sent Pennzoil a complaint about this whole mess.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Not true in all cases... the people I know that are finding it at the walmarts in Houston are paying $27 for a 5 qt jug. (5.40/qt). My bro in law just found it there 3 days ago and is running it in his ecoboost. SN formulation

That may not last forever, as what remains could be old stock. Many areas are reporting that the wonderful $27.00 5 quart jugs are gone. I searched all 5 local Walmart stores in my area, I was only able to find 14 single quarts that were API SN. Two others were API SM, so I left them on the shelf. I only bought the "14" because they were on clearance between $4.00 or $5.00 per quart, depending on the store selling it.

Currently, there is a 50/50 mix of 4 quarts of Ultra 5W-20 and 4 quarts of 10W-30 in my engine, flushing out initial wear metals from break in. After dumping this fill, the engine will see Amsoil for life.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
UB, not sure on the ultra availability...Walmart indicates it is a brand/product they do carry...but availability does seem limited. Not sure if there is a temporary shortage and that will change....or it's a soon to be discontinued item. Like I said...no issue finding it in houston, but I believe pennzoil is hq'd thre so maybe ample supply still exists there.

Can you comment on the amsoil study you posted here regarding price on the mobil 1 XP....I've not had any difficulty finding it for $27 5qt jugs at Walmart, but the amsoil report indicates $112.

Also, I found this uoa over bitog and was hoping you could comment on the effectiveness of this oil for the interval. I believe this is a good to great report.....but it is a v6 honda and not a ford v8 and I'm new at deciphering these reports. Would amsoil SS perform better than this?

2007 Honda Accord V6 Mobil 1 5w-20 EP 12,403 Mi - Bob Is The Oil Guy

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
yeah they are over at bitog, let me see if I can post em

Cool.

Not true in all cases... the people I know that are finding it at the walmarts in Houston are paying $27 for a 5 qt jug. (5.40/qt). My bro in law just found it there 3 days ago and is running it in his ecoboost. SN formulation

You can buy it online from WM for that price:

Purchase Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Motor Oil, 5 Qt for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Their site says it's in stock at a store in town, I'll check it out next time I'm down that way. Several in the area seem to be getting restocked; at least according to their site.

No one on BITOG will be buying Ultra now that Wall-Mart stopped carrying it. Pennzoil totally screwed up the marketing of Ultra. To the average joe Platinum sounds better than Ultra and it's a couple bucks cheaper. I sent Pennzoil a complaint about this whole mess.

I've emailed with Shell's CS dept before, it's not fun trying to get an actual reply from them; and I was just trying to figure out how/where to buy a certain product.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UB, not sure on the ultra availability...Walmart indicates it is a brand/product they do carry...but availability does seem limited. Not sure if there is a temporary shortage and that will change....or it's a soon to be discontinued item. Like I said...no issue finding it in houston, but I believe pennzoil is hq'd thre so maybe ample supply still exists there.

Can you comment on the amsoil study you posted here regarding price on the mobil 1 XP....I've not had any difficulty finding it for $27 5qt jugs at Walmart, but the amsoil report indicates $112.

Also, I found this uoa over bitog and was hoping you could comment on the effectiveness of this oil for the interval. I believe this is a good to great report.....but it is a v6 honda and not a ford v8 and I'm new at deciphering these reports. Would amsoil SS perform better than this?

2007 Honda Accord V6 Mobil 1 5w-20 EP 12,403 Mi - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Ultra is no longer available in Northwest Florida. Every store in a reasonable driving distance has been wiped out.

Mobil 1 EP is easily found at every Walmart for the price you stated. Comparing Amsoil SS to Mobil 1 in the UOA....

Amsoil would have done this better after 12,000 miles.

• TBN would be much higher than 1.4
  • Viscosity would be very close, if not the same, as virgin viscosity (no shearing)
  • NOACK Volatility would be 50% less (less oil vaporization coating the inside of your engine)
  • Fuel efficiency would increase slightly due to true PAO/Ester base oil

Those are the four major points. Yes, Amsoil SS is more expensive, so it loses that battle. However, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You can buy it online from WM for that price:

Purchase Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Motor Oil, 5 Qt for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Their site says it's in stock at a store in town, I'll check it out next time I'm down that way. Several in the area seem to be getting restocked; at least according to their site.

ok, I didn't realize I could mail order it....I thought only "site to store" and then it kept saying my store was not included or whatever...thanks for the heads up on that

Ultra is no longer available in Northwest Florida. Every store in a reasonable driving distance has been wiped out.

Mobil 1 EP is easily found at every Walmart for the price you stated. Comparing Amsoil SS to Mobil 1 in the UOA....

Amsoil would have done this better after 12,000 miles.

• TBN would be much higher than 1.4
  • Viscosity would be very close, if not the same, as virgin viscosity (no shearing)
  • NOACK Volatility would be 50% less (less oil vaporization coating the inside of your engine)
  • Fuel efficiency would increase slightly due to true PAO/Ester base oil

Those are the four major points. Yes, Amsoil SS is more expensive, so it loses that battle. However, you get what you pay for.

ok, I need a tutorial on reading the uoa reports. It would be nice if we could get a sticky in this section on how to read them and a brief description on what the most important items are to concentrate on. I'm sure someone's probably already done this...but a link would be great :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
ok, I need a tutorial on reading the uoa reports. It would be nice if we could get a sticky in this section on how to read them and a brief description on what the most important items are to concentrate on. I'm sure someone's probably already done this...but a link would be great :beer:

Blackstone has an interactive "how to" on this, but it doesn't explain everything. Obviously, you'd need to understand things like "TBN" and different virgin/used viscosity ranges.

Click this link

Report Explanation

Then select "Gas/Diesel Report". Then all you have to do is hover over every "colored" field for an explanation.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
It's rarity around me.. Only place I've seen it was autozone but it was only the SM formula, and even then they were 9.99 a quart and only had 3..

The SN formula Ultra so the one to have if grabbing from a parts store..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I can easily find it at the local Pep Boys parts stores in Pensacola, Florida, but I refuse to pay $9.xx a quart for it. It's good stuff, but Amsoil in quantity is cheaper overall....and is still a true PAO/Ester base oil.

quad

Established Member
The first synthetic lubricant to be API certified was in 1972. Since he uses only petroleum lubricants, I'm interested in his maintenance schedule and product selection. I'd also like to know what all has been replaced/rebuilt/repaired through the years to keep it going.

No, it's not on the thread end. Motorcraft is one of the few filters you find it on.

"In all the years Gordon's been driving the P1800, the engine has been rebuilt just twice. Gordon leaves the big repairs to a mechanic but does the routine maintenance himself."

Users who are viewing this thread