New study from Amsoil

vfast

Established Member
it is said that amsoil is the only "real" synthedic oil....other use other terms to get people to believe they are....or so as the patent office says

UncleDan

Established Member
I just started using Amsoil. Always ran Mobil 1, but since camming my car I wanted a synthetic blend with a good Zinc content. A lot of oil manufacturers are reducing zinc in their oils because it supposedly clogs up the cat cans, and the government doesn't like it. Who knows what else they're skimping on.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ultra seems to be becoming tougher to find around here.

I bought everything that remained at all 5 local Walmart stores. Found 14 quarts for $4.00 to $5.00 each. All of them were API SN formulation. There were two quarts of API SM, but I left that junk on the shelf.

it is said that amsoil is the only "real" synthedic oil....other use other terms to get people to believe they are....or so as the patent office says

Amsoil is not the only PAO/Ester based synthetic. Red Line, Royal Purple, Motul, and others blend them as well.

I just started using Amsoil. Always ran Mobil 1, but since camming my car I wanted a synthetic blend with a good Zinc content. A lot of oil manufacturers are reducing zinc in their oils because it supposedly clogs up the cat cans, and the government doesn't like it. Who knows what else they're skimping on.

The government forced auto manufacturers to warranty emission systems on cars longer (higher miles). To reduce warranty claims past 80,000 miles, manufacturers adopted formulations with lower ZDDP content. I have been comparing high and low ZDDP formulations for years. In most street applications, I've yet to see a trend of proof that high ZDDP was actually required.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
I've never given Quaker State Ultimate a solid look, but it does appear to be a good OTC choice doesn't it. Shocking!

It's like $6 or $7 a quart at most, and it's GM/Dexos1, Chrysler, and Ford OEM spec'd

I think I might have to give that stuff a try eventually. I'd certainly pick up a bottle of this over Mobil or Castrol.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amazing how times have changed what is good, better, and best....isn't it. Pre 2005, Mobil 1 was the "go to" lubricant, as was German Castrol 0W-30. These days, Mobil 1 and Castrol are middle of the road choices. Pennzoil was deemed "cheap crap" and "sludge formulations". Today, Ultra is the best off the shelf lubricant you can buy.

musclefan21

Established Member
Unleashed, I have been working none stop and havent had any time to myself to buy some oil.

But..... penzoil Ultra in that chart looks like did the best out of all. Do you have any data for amsoil to see if it showed even lower numbers than the penzoil ultra?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed, I have been working none stop and havent had any time to myself to buy some oil.

But..... penzoil Ultra in that chart looks like did the best out of all. Do you have any data for amsoil to see if it showed even lower numbers than the penzoil ultra?

When it comes to NOACK Volatility, Ultra rivals Amsoil Signature Series. GTL base oils have the lowest NOACK Volatilty, but by a very narrow margin.

Amsoil does have a more robust additive pack, and rumors have passed around that a change to GTL may be in Amsoil's future. If it's worthy in other areas that is. There are other specs I have not been able to locate for GTL base oils, like frictional coefficient comparisons with PAO\Ester base oils. The jury is still out, but so far, Ultra is making one heck of an impact.

The only setback is price. Ultra is expensive per quart, ~$9.xx

musclefan21

Established Member
When it comes to NOACK Volatility, Ultra rivals Amsoil Signature Series. GTL base oils have the lowest NOACK Volatilty, but by a very narrow margin.

Amsoil does have a more robust additive pack, and rumors have passed around that a change to GTL may be in Amsoil's future. If it's worthy in other areas that is. There are other specs I have not been able to locate for GTL base oils, like frictional coefficient comparisons with PAO\Ester base oils. The jury is still out, but so far, Ultra is making one heck of an impact.

The only setback is price. Ultra is expensive per quart, ~$9.xx

I know you are an amsoil guy, but here it goes,

would you say in "overall" performance, penzoil ultra could be a better choice than amsoil sig series?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I know you are an amsoil guy, but here it goes,

would you say in "overall" performance, penzoil ultra could be a better choice than amsoil sig series?

If you could buy it at previous Walmart price, ~$28.00 for a 5 quart jug, yes....Ultra would win bang for the buck hands down. I would tell everyone they should be buying it.

However, Ultra at a great deal is hard to find. Most people are forced to pay over $9.00 a quart for it.

With that being said, Amsoil preferred customers able to buy Signature Series for $7.85 per quart, and having access to discounted Nano-Fiber oil filters, Amsoil wins this battle. Amsoil SS does have a more robust additive package compared to Ultra.

Other factors come into play, as I would like to see lab comparisons of frictional coefficient from both base oils. This can play a vital role in efficiency.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
That was my Boss 302 OA posted above that I provided to UB. I was planning to go with Amsoil after the factory fill of MC 5/50 was due, but was pulled away to the base RP 10/40 because of a 'deal' at Pep Boys last summer. Coupon for 5 qts and a filter for $29.99. Classic marketing 101 here, and I fell for it. Why? Because it appears that the new owners of RP wanted a quick return on their investment, and cheaped out on the base oil while keeping the price the same.

Welcome to the world of free market enterprise, capitalism at its finest. Manufacturers of all products seek to establish a reputation for quality, value, and reliability so that they get repeat customers and hopefully new ones as their reputation spreads. It's up to the consumer to keep a watchful eye on the product label as well as the quality & quantity. Notice how the amount of potato chips in each bag is getting replaced by air? Notice that the big soda companies are now producing 1.5L bottles now? And don't get me started on the 'minis' craze, or for candy where bite size has been replaced by 'fun' size.

George Carlin said it best;

George Carlin Advertising Lullaby, Costumer Service, and Businessmen - YouTube

I have one more RP change left on my shelf, but I won't wait until 7500m to change my current fill, the 2nd of 3. I'll run this all summer and then do my last change before I put my Boss away for the winter. I don't expect the OA results to vary much as these will all be street driven miles until I can afford some track wheels/tires next year.

I don't feel butthurt that I really didn't get a great deal with my Pep Boys coupons, lesson learned. Caveat Emptor baby. At least I got a 'free' quality oil filter, and a decent oil, just not the best. If a similar deal was offered for RP 100% synthetic, I would consider it, based on a cost/value comparison of competing products. Hell, I'd even consider Penzoil Ultra for 1 change just to see what the OA results were.

I will send Beast my base RP OA results around Nov '13 and ~ June '14 to ad to the spreadsheet. Let the oil flame wars carry on! :burn:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed, what's your thoughts on T6 5w40?

Hydrocracked, affordable, high ZDDP. Priced as it's supposed to be. I'm not fond of using diesel formulations in gasoline engines. They use magnesium in the additive pack, it's not required for gasoline engines, and some have reported the possibility of engine deposits from the use of it in gas engines.

Sad that he passed. What a loss to society. He was one of the greatest.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Latest sample from RP HPS is in, the results aren't "terrible", but other concerns are confirmed.

LINK

is there anything Amsoil SS 10w30 does better than PU 10w30? After seeing quite a few UOA PU seems to be beating it in every category...Do you think PU should be the new perfrormance oil?

thnx UB:rockon:

musclefan21

Established Member
I will be honest with you folks, i put amsoil atf in and removed rp syncormax based on this thread and my tranny shifts much worse. with rp syncromax it was normal.. with amsoil atf it sometimes gets stuck. i shit you not, i have to use a bit of force to pulll it out of gear :shrug:.. this happened right after the fluid change and i drive my car like a grand pa for the most part.

i put the entire gallon in it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
is there anything Amsoil SS 10w30 does better than PU 10w30? After seeing quite a few UOA PU seems to be beating it in every category...Do you think PU should be the new perfrormance oil?

thnx UB:rockon:

I haven't seen any Ultra UOAs. Can you post some?

I will be honest with you folks, i put amsoil atf in and removed rp syncormax based on this thread and my tranny shifts much worse. with rp syncromax it was normal.. with amsoil atf it sometimes gets stuck. i shit you not, i have to use a bit of force to pulll it out of gear :shrug:.. this happened right after the fluid change and i drive my car like a grand pa for the most part.

i put the entire gallon in it.

GT500?

Users who are viewing this thread