New Post and Beam Barn Build

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
Putting up a 40x60 Monitor style barn. It will be built with heavy post and beam rough-cut Southern Yellow Pine framing. The concrete is down so far... I fly a MEDEVAC helicopter and was lucky enough to be in the vicinity when they were pouring concrete... This has been my dream for 30 years. More to come....

barnpic1.jpg
barnpic2.jpg
barnpic3.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What company do you fly for?

If you don't mind me asking, you can PM me if you want.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
Awesome man. That’s a good sized building. How thick is the slab?

The slab is 5", with 8" at the center aisle post locations. The perimeter has an 8" x 18" deep footer, and the whole thing is laced with 5/8" rebar...
Yeah to what you're thinking- it was crazy expensive to get this foundation done. I'm not even mentioning the excavation just to get a flat spot to build on.
I could have made the whole thing much cheaper if I did what most guys do- build with treated posts stuck in the ground. Cheap is not my goal. The goal is to build something magnificent, like the cars and trucks I will restore inside of it.

Lucky, I'm jealous.

Not luck my friend- 35 years of work and still busting ass to make it!

More to come...

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
Here's some pics of the old 30x40 barn that was on my property. It was built around 1930. The old fella who lives across the road told me how his grandfather owned all this land and farmed here. He remembers his grandfather's saw mill and how they drug logs out of the woods with the big plow horses. The old barn was built with timber that came from this property!
We took the old barn down last year because the old cinder block foundation was falling apart. Most of that nearly 100 year old wood is still really nice. There's nearly 60 solid 6x6x12+ beams, that supported the floor, and much more. I will try to use the vintage 6x6 beams to frame the loft in the new barn... The 4x4 posts that framed the walls of the old barn will be used to frame the 12x20 office space in the new barn, and the vintage oak barn siding will make the walls of the office...

For those who don't know- rough cut lumber (especially back then) is cut to actual dimensions. So a 4x4 was actually 4"x4", not 3-1/2" like lumber from Home Depot which is "finished lumber".
Old1.jpg
old2.jpg
old3.jpg

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The slab is 5", with 8" at the center aisle post locations. The perimeter has an 8" x 18" deep footer, and the whole thing is laced with 5/8" rebar...
Yeah to what you're thinking- it was crazy expensive to get this foundation done. I'm not even mentioning the excavation just to get a flat spot to build on.
I could have made the whole thing much cheaper if I did what most guys do- build with treated posts stuck in the ground. Cheap is not my goal. The goal is to build something magnificent, like the cars and trucks I will restore inside of it.

Not luck my friend- 35 years of work and still busting ass to make it!

More to come...
I just built a 45x60 building with a 6” thick slab. I can appreciate the financial cost of this, but I’m like you in the cheap was not the goal

8ballBooker

Established Member
Here's some pics of the old 30x40 barn that was on my property. It was built around 1930. The old fella who lives across the road told me how his grandfather owned all this land and farmed here. He remembers his grandfather's saw mill and how they drug logs out of the woods with the big plow horses. The old barn was built with timber that came from this property!
We took the old barn down last year because the old cinder block foundation was falling apart. Most of that nearly 100 year old wood is still really nice. There's nearly 60 solid 6x6x12+ beams, that supported the floor, and much more. I will try to use the vintage 6x6 beams to frame the loft in the new barn... The 4x4 posts that framed the walls of the old barn will be used to frame the 12x20 office space in the new barn, and the vintage oak barn siding will make the walls of the office...

For those who don't know- rough cut lumber (especially back then) is cut to actual dimensions. So a 4x4 was actually 4"x4", not 3-1/2" like lumber from Home Depot which is "finished lumber".
View attachment 1558301 View attachment 1558302 View attachment 1558303
That's cool. I live in the country and we have lots of old barns like that. Sad that they are all in the same condition, but most are 100+ years old.

I pass by one on my way to work that still has the mail pouch tobacco advertisement painted on it.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The slab is 5", with 8" at the center aisle post locations. The perimeter has an 8" x 18" deep footer, and the whole thing is laced with 5/8" rebar......... Cheap is not my goal. The goal is to build something magnificent, like the cars and trucks I will restore inside of it.
You answered the question that I was going to ask. This is definitely going to be an interesting thread to follow. What a "magnificent" barn garage this is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread