New Orleans trip or another city?

coposrv

Established Member
Nashville, definitely on the list nearing the top. I'm getting little hesitant about Nola. Wife is not swayed. thanks for the tips guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98SVTContour98

Established Member

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Had this same thing happen to a close personal friend of my family a few years ago ( http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/01/veteran_new_orleans_musician_l.html )

The latest one

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/2...rutal-beating-tourists-in-french-quarter.html

NOLA is not worth the risk...so far, taking down the monuments hasn't prevented violence...seems to me there are much safer places with good food/entertainment

The problem is NOLA is not good food and entertainment. It is GREAT food and entertainment. Most who have been will tell you there is no place like it.
It has changed but you just have to be smart about where and when you go.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SwampDog35

I live 15 mins from NOLA honestly, but I can count on one hand how many times I've been to "The Quarter" in 20 years. My motto is if I don't put myself in a situation the better off everyone is. Just my humble opinion.
That being said, there is some fine eating on the outskirts of downtown.

allister

Established Member
I am sorry to revive an old thread but I feel it's worth it! A couple months ago some friends invited us to go to New Orleans this past weekend. This thread was still in my mind as I am always looking for awesome weekend getaways but obviously don't want to go anywhere sketchy and had a mental note to avoid NOLA for weekend getaways. We almost didn't go because of this thread, but decided to give it a try and figured worst case scenario, we might not be as adventurous on this trip.

To sum it up, we had an absolute blast, I am so glad we went and while we probably won't go again because there are so many places I want to go, I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it and that's why I'm reviving this thread.

We stayed in the Warehouse district which was nice, at least in the part we stayed and felt completely safe walking from our place to the french district, bourbon st etc. we were very cautious but did not for one second feel unsafe anywhere.

The food was amazing everywhere we went (guided by Yelp). The beignets were overrated for us personally as we all grew up with county Fairs whose Funnel cakes trump the hype of the beignets, but still gotta try them.

All in all it was a great trip and I'm so glad I ultimately took this thread with a grain of salt and went. I've been on numerous other weekend getaways (Austin, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, San Antonio, Orlando, Vegas) many more places in Florida and other areas that I can think of right now and this one is definitely near the top of the list.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Never been to New Orleans but my spouse and I like to do short 3-5 night trips as well, also live on the east coast and enjoy good food and brews so I can offer a couple other suggestions that we enjoyed.

Austin, TX (once also did 2 nights in San Antonio then 2 nights in Austin)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Tampa, FL

I know there's more but those are the ones sticking out in my head. I look forward to more responses on the thread, we each have a $200 flight credit that expires in January and have been debating where to go next!
NOW THAT PLACE IS A REAL SHITHOLE

nxhappy

Established Member
pretty sure I am going in a few months...can't ****ing wait

nudarkshadowl

Established Member
The wife and I just moved to the Seattle area and we absolutely love it up here in WA. Great food scene if you like seafood, one of the best beer cultures in the US, all set in a location with some amazing nature and things to see. Give it a go!

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Nola isn't THAT bad... but it is pretty bad some areas:) Imo, the nice stuff is really nice and the trash stuff is really trash. Also, I gotta second Nashville and Seattle. Nashville had a cool music scene and I don't even like country music. Seattle is cool but very liberal. Still got a bunch of pics of a mob of protestors outside my hotel from when Trump won the election lol. I would like to go to Austin, Charleston and San Antonio

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
May sound a little different than others but my dream vacation has always been Alaska. I've never been there but had a friend that went over this past summer and he said the scenery is just absolutely amazing. They took a train through the mountains (I believe it was the White Pass Railroad or something of the like) and he said he absolutely loved it. One of my top future destinations. I've been to 30 states so far and Alaska is probably at the top of my list to visit. Goal is to visit all 50 by the time I turn 25.

Users who are viewing this thread