New Orleans trip or another city?

coposrv

Established Member
We're thinking about New Orleans next but maybe there's another destination were over looking. So. Friends, of SVT what says you. I'm looking for suggestions for places to visit and where to stay when we get there. Requirements aren't many but good food/ beers are a must. New Orleans? or anybody have another US destination we should check out? My wife and I travel a few times a year doing small trips for 3-5 nights. Any must sees? We can only get away from work a few days at a time so it may be challenging to get out to the west coast for such a short stay. We're coming from Boston so it isn't too hard to get decent flights to most popular locations. Thanks guys.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

allister

Established Member
Never been to New Orleans but my spouse and I like to do short 3-5 night trips as well, also live on the east coast and enjoy good food and brews so I can offer a couple other suggestions that we enjoyed.

Austin, TX (once also did 2 nights in San Antonio then 2 nights in Austin)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Tampa, FL

I know there's more but those are the ones sticking out in my head. I look forward to more responses on the thread, we each have a $200 flight credit that expires in January and have been debating where to go next!

M91196

Established Member
Much nicer places to go in the US for sure....won't take my wife there but I'm 50 so take that FWIW. I travel for work and prefer the west but perhaps bourbon trail, panhandle or Austin, it's like Wellesley with pointy boots! Boston is a disadvantage, your coming from a good place for food and culture etc. Fellow WMA hole here.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
All these liberal cesspools are full of predators. Know your surroundings and keep your head on a swivel. I was in N.O. a few times before hurricane Katrina. Before the storm, it was still a decent place to visit. Not anymore.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Since I live in Louisiana....im gonna say New Orleans. With that said. I just took a friend of mine down there a couple of days ago to pick up an 05 gt and I had two pistols and a shot gun with me in my truck, so I think like Stampede3 said stay in the nice places and you should be fine. Remember anything crazy can happen anywhere now a days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

coposrv

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up guys, almost right after I posted about NO I heard on the news about the guys from Boston. Mint. We're kind of out of ideas for places to see but we're both pretty set on New Orleans. We just went to the Bahamas 2 weeks ago and love it there and right before that I did a guys golf trip to myrtle beach. In the last year we've been up and down the east coast and want to start heading more west. I like the idea about Austin too. Definitely looking into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coposrv

Established Member
Savannah GA? We're planning for the third week of this September

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks for the heads up guys, almost right after I posted about NO I heard on the news about the guys from Boston. Mint. We're kind of out of ideas for places to see but we're both pretty set on New Orleans. We just went to the Bahamas 2 weeks ago and love it there and right before that I did a guys golf trip to myrtle beach. In the last year we've been up and down the east coast and want to start heading more west. I like the idea about Austin too. Definitely looking into that.

I went in November last year, and will go back. I was just talking to Barry about this, need to be smart and watch where you go. So many alleyways, so stay on the main drags and be mindful of the time of day.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I hear Houston has a pretty crosswalk.

Seriously - I just came back from Sanibel Island, FL. Very nice low-key beaches. HOT though.

Deep Creek, Maryland is great - rural and gorgeous. Rent a nice house with some friends and relax - swim - fish - hike - drink up.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I was just there for 5 days in March. You just have to know where to go and where not to. The g/f was stationed there for 5yrs so she knew her way around. Took a day trip through the 9th ward too.

I stayed at the Hyatt Centric in the French Quarter so I was right in the middle of everything for the most part and walked everywhere.

Never felt threatened by anyone but I'm also a fairly large black dude so that probably helped. I had more random conversations with strangers in NO than anywhere in my life, I will say that.

I'm going back for Mardi Gras next year.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I hear Houston has a pretty crosswalk.

Seriously - I just came back from Sanibel Island, FL. Very nice low-key beaches. HOT though.

Deep Creek, Maryland is great - rural and gorgeous. Rent a nice house with some friends and relax - swim - fish - hike - drink up.
I hate sanibel/captiva.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Charleston was fun, Michigan's west coast is good but has only Grand Rapids airport for decent flights. Raleigh for the Friday night drum circle.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I hate sanibel/captiva.

Haha I knew you'd say that. We did have a really nice time there. My wife and girls like to hunt for seashells and Sanibel is well-known for that. Water was over 80 degrees - it was nice. Went in a 2hr boat tour of a wildlife reserve. Enjoyed eating at the Lazy Flamingo and Pecking Order. We had just put down our 12 year old English Lab the week before, and the Pecking Order's owner had a 6-year old there. Made all of us tear up a bit to see a clone of our buddy.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Haha I knew you'd say that. We did have a really nice time there. My wife and girls like to hunt for seashells and Sanibel is well-known for that. Water was over 80 degrees - it was nice. Went in a 2hr boat tour of a wildlife reserve. Enjoyed eating at the Lazy Flamingo and Pecking Order. We had just put down our 12 year old English Lab the week before, and the Pecking Order's owner had a 6-year old there. Made all of us tear up a bit to see a clone of our buddy.
I used to deliver paper products to the resorts/restaurants there 19 years ago in a tractor/trailer. I was supposed to only get 28' trailers, yet they gave me 48's. You've see it, it was a riot.

Users who are viewing this thread