New Ford GT a v6??? WTF

Gravik

Established Member
Wow. So all of you on here are all for an American supercar being a V6. Very disappointing. All the time they put into the V6 having that much power and extra technology could have been devoted to the V8.

You fail to see that its about money and when it comes down to it, its much cheaper for them to build a V6 that is overworked than a V8 that takes much more material to manufacture.

An SRT-4 makes a bunch of power for an I4 and it breaks so often that there are barely any left on the road. These new GT owners will mod their engines and blow them because the engine won't be able to take the power.

Le Mans designed??? LOL at you thinking it will be the same engine they are using.

I am really sad to see the beloved Ford GT turn into a god damn NSX. The biggest clown supercar of all time.

Its not about a redneck wanting a V8, its about the V8 always being able to make more HP because of the displacement. Lets be serious SVTP. This is why we don't drive Fiat 500's.

There's a ton of them. Mine had 150k when I got rid of it and it ran fine, perfect compression on all 4 cylinders, and the car got beat on for 150k miles.

Do people not realize how big a TT modular V8 would be? The EB has a shallower crank angle compared to the 5.0, 60* vs 90*. This means it is significantly less wide than a 5.0, i can clearly see the ground through my Fiance's V6 engine bay ... hell, you can do a header swap almost 100% from the top, so there's plenty of room for 2 turbos down there. A 5.0 on the other hand is damn near kissing the frame rails on each side ... A TT 5.0 variant would have made the car like 1 to 1.5 feet wider, completely ruining the tear drop design in regards to the aerodynamics, handling, and pretty much every aspect. The turbos would also likely have to sit on top of the motor like they do in the actual 5.0 kits, which would mean more changes to the body work, or a packaging nightmare ... I would not hesitate to say that this car with a TT v8 would actually perform worse than the TT v6.

Ryan427

Established Member
Says someone who clearly doesnt understand how an engine works. Tell me then, which is better, the 3.8L V8 in the Mclaren, or the 3.8L V6 in the GT-R... I'll wait.

Those would be the same displacement correct? The "no replacement for displacement" phrase would be for a situation in which two motors had identical upgrades and different displacements. So like a fully built 4.6 compared to a fully built 5.8. Correct? That phrase I don't believe works with two motors of the same displacement. You can't tell me that if ford would have put as much time into that v8 and then put twins on it that it wouldn't make more power? Koenigsegg seems to believe the v8 works fine, don't see a Ferrari, porsche, or Mclearn that touches the agera or One. On a side note the car should have a v8 because it's a muscle car just like it originated with. Just my opinion though.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
these new cars perform but I don't think I will buy one they are bit out of my budget anyway. I just can't rationalize cars over 100k. I would just buy a used ford GT myself.

I find it funny though the people that rave about these cars like the GTR for example they do perform great but there sales numbers are very low. I sometimes am shocked by how few GTR's are sold in relation to how good they perfrom. if ford sells 1200-1500 gt's will they keep it around.

I don't know what the sales #'s are for GTR's - but if you think you can touch the 05/06 FGT for less that $175k you're delusional. They are going UP in value, not down. Unless you find one that is wrecked or mechanically trashed good luck.

williamwelch11

Established Member
Yea it is a tt v6 but the car is made for le mans and I think the class it will run in has engine size restrictions. I dont think ford will up and drop the v8 from the mustang but im sure eventually the possibility of only having a tt v6 mustang is very probable. It is a little sad but if you can pump out that much power out of a v6 thats very impressive. I still prefer a tt v8 concept though.

kaz109

Established Member
Wow. So all of you on here are all for an American supercar being a V6. Very disappointing. All the time they put into the V6 having that much power and extra technology could have been devoted to the V8.

You fail to see that its about money and when it comes down to it, its much cheaper for them to build a V6 that is overworked than a V8 that takes much more material to manufacture.

An SRT-4 makes a bunch of power for an I4 and it breaks so often that there are barely any left on the road. These new GT owners will mod their engines and blow them because the engine won't be able to take the power.

Le Mans designed??? LOL at you thinking it will be the same engine they are using.

I am really sad to see the beloved Ford GT turn into a god damn NSX. The biggest clown supercar of all time.

Its not about a redneck wanting a V8, its about the V8 always being able to make more HP because of the displacement. Lets be serious SVTP. This is why we don't drive Fiat 500's.

You are so naive it is unreal. Everything from your SRT info to NSX being a clown . You really should just stop posting since it is clear you don't have a clue about ANYTHING you type.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
On a side note the car should have a v8 because it's a muscle car just like it originated with. Just my opinion though.

Since when has the FGT EVER been considered a muscle car?!?!?!?! Seriously?! Its an exotic sports car! So let me understand this.......presumably you named all the muscle cars you know in your head and in that list was the FGT? I might as well label the Audi R8 a muscle car too while we are at it. Good grief.

Last edited:

Ryan427

Established Member
Since when has the FGT EVER been considered a muscle car?!?!?!?! Seriously?! Its an exotic sports car! So let me understand this.......presumably you named all the muscle cars you know in your head and in that list was the FGT? I might as well label the Audi R8 a muscle car too while we are at it. Good grief.

Would I consider the original gt40 a muscle car? Yeah it had a big 427. The new one 05 was supposed to be a retro design that was based off the original. I'm not sure how an Audi R8 would be on the list. Its from Germany not America.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Would I consider the original gt40 a muscle car? Yeah it had a big 427. The new one 05 was supposed to be a retro design that was based off the original. I'm not sure how an Audi R8 would be on the list. Its from Germany not America.

Quite simple, the Audi R8 doesn't belong in the muscle car list and neither does the Ford GT. BTW The FGT and the Audi R8 share more in common than the FGT does with any classic muscle car. So is a big V8 the only qualifier for a muscle car? LMAO

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

The S7 had a 427, so was it a muscle car too?

Ryan427

Established Member
Quite simple, the Audi R8 doesn't belong in the muscle car list and neither does the Ford GT. BTW The FGT and the Audi R8 share more in common than the FGT does with any classic muscle car. So is a big V8 the only qualifier for a muscle car? LMAO

Well honestly I didn't know that the fgt had much in common with the r8. I would like to know how it is more similar to the r8 then the original. It must be some place other then the looks, and design. I just considered the original gt40 a muscle car because it was made in the muscle car era, had a large displacement v8 engine, and was badass. You could probably say the same about the mustang today, it doesn't have much in common with its original and we still consider it a muscle car. This is all just my opinion.

Ryan427

Established Member
The S7 had a 427, so was it a muscle car too?

Now this is a good ones! I like the s7 looks and sounds badass, but I would not consider a s7 a muscle car because 1. It didn't have a predecessor that came from the muscle car era 2. The 427 wasn't a big block. Again my opinion. I don't want to piss anybody off but I don't like the 6 cylinder. I don't give two f**ks about the gtr or any other fast car that doesn't have a v8. I'm not saying they aren't fast or can't be fast. Never said that. But I will say that they will never sound as good as a badass v8 n/a or FI. In my opinion american cars should have a v8 (one exception is the viper) and make it better then anybody else. Some have said it before that one day there will no longer be v8 muscle cars. Well that will be a sad day in hell.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
You need to read the article again. It's a street car based on a race car for a race series with rules limiting engine size and output.

Ryan427

Established Member
You need to read the article again. It's a street car based on a race car for a race series with rules limiting engine size and output.

I read that and totally get what you are saying. I love the looks of the car, probably one of the best looking supercars period but I wish for the production model they would have used a different engine. All I'm saying

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Now this is a good ones! I like the s7 looks and sounds badass, but I would not consider a s7 a muscle car because 1. It didn't have a predecessor that came from the muscle car era 2. The 427 wasn't a big block. Again my opinion. I don't want to piss anybody off but I don't like the 6 cylinder. I don't give two f**ks about the gtr or any other fast car that doesn't have a v8. I'm not saying they aren't fast or can't be fast. Never said that. But I will say that they will never sound as good as a badass v8 n/a or FI. In my opinion american cars should have a v8 (one exception is the viper) and make it better then anybody else. Some have said it before that one day there will no longer be v8 muscle cars. Well that will be a sad day in hell.

I read that and totally get what you are saying. I love the looks of the car, probably one of the best looking supercars period but I wish for the production model they would have used a different engine. All I'm saying

So what were the supercars of the 60s? What car(s) initiated the class and how is the GT40 not apart of that class? Also, the winning GT40s in 1968 and 1969 were both 5.0s. As a purpose built racecar you go where you have to go and you do whatever you have to do with the car to make it succeed, and with class homoligation rules the production car is dictated by the goals of the racecar. With that, I'm not 100% certain but I would think like many race classes, the car and powertrain have to be production units together, and not just the body. Don't quote me on that but that's a very real possibility that would mean they never had an option to use a V8 because the V8s were never the best option for the racing class.

Ryan427

Established Member
So what were the supercars of the 60s? What car(s) initiated the class and how is the GT40 not apart of that class? Also, the winning GT40s in 1968 and 1969 were both 5.0s. As a purpose built racecar you go where you have to go and you do whatever you have to do with the car to make it succeed, and with class homoligation rules the production car is dictated by the goals of the racecar. With that, I'm not 100% certain but I would think like many race classes, the car and powertrain have to be production units together, and not just the body. Don't quote me on that but that's a very real possibility that would mean they never had an option to use a V8 because the V8s were never the best option for the racing class.

I didn't know they changed it to a 302. The two previous years it was a 427. I don't doubt all the stuff to conform with race regulation. Either way it would be just as successful street car with a v8 in my opinion. But your right it probably was never even in the design

Users who are viewing this thread