New F150 Lariat 502A 2018 vs. 2019 Pricing $5,000 Difference, Which One To Buy?

Which would you buy?

• 2018 ($5000 Savings Cash Purchase)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 2019 ($5000 more, 72 Month Zero % Financing)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nxhappy

Established Member
Borrowing 60k at 0% interest is not stupid. Its extremely smart. Put the 60k in an investment and make money on it while making monthly payments.
zero percent doesn't mean shit. You drive it off the lot, you lose $5000-10,000. The following year, you lose another $10,000. Then in 2022 your truck is worth $35k. How's that for investment? Cars are a LOSING asset. Actually...cars/trucks are not an asset at all. Unless it's something cool, like a Viper =)

coposrv

Established Member
60k loaded up trucks are for guys who own construction companies. Series 179 Write off after an unexpected big year. Not a guy grossing 160 a year trying to play big boy.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nxhappy

Established Member
LOL. If there were no ****ing retards and everyone took this advice there would be no used $30K trucks around for those who are not ****ing retards to buy. Better hope everyone in the world doesn't read your advice or you have just screwed yourself for your next truck!

I always figured if you love it and can afford it, buy it. If you don't love it or can't afford it, buy a used vehicle that someone else got to sniff up all the new car smell. Either way works.
problem is, most people are BORROWING. $60k is like half of a house. Yes, that is retarded.

nxhappy

Established Member
I get that. But, thats why you be with someone who supports your hobby. Before my accord i drove an 01 chevy prism that was rotted and burned oil and had the exhaust held up with shoe strings. My girlfriend at the time hated being seen in it but loved being seen in the cobra. So it was a trade off.
sounds like you were raised right, son

nxhappy

Established Member
Half a House in Bumpkinville. :p

BUT ...a house is still an investment lol. Even in ****-Ville.

IDK... I'm just a cheap jew. I know people love new high dollar trucks. Me, I'd rather spend 20k more and get a Lambo or Viper. To each his own.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
zero percent doesn't mean shit. You drive it off the lot, you lose $5000-10,000. The following year, you lose another $10,000. Then in 2022 your truck is worth $35k. How's that for investment? Cars are a LOSING asset. Actually...cars/trucks are not an asset at all. Unless it's something cool, like a Viper =)
Your never going to win even if you buy used. You take a smaller hit but almost always lose. The point you stated was to buy it cash. Which in the case of 0% your better off making payments. Keep the money and reinvest.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
True that. But the point of buying cash when you can borrow for free. Keep the money and make the payments.
You generally don't get as good of a deal though. That's the way it seemed on my last two trucks.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Your never going to win even if you buy used. You take a smaller hit but almost always lose. The point you stated was to buy it cash. Which in the case of 0% your better off making payments. Keep the money and reinvest.

The thing is, at $60K for five years that's $1000 note. **** that. How much does the standard family have to invest after that payment? I buy a $25K truck for cash and invest $1000 a month after 25 months when I've got my money saved back up. Sure, I don't get a new truck, but I end up with a much better looking portfolio...

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The thing is, at $60K for five years that's $1000 note. **** that. How much does the standard family have to invest after that payment? I buy a $25K truck for cash and invest $1000 a month after 25 months when I've got my money saved back up. Sure, I don't get a new truck, but I end up with a much better looking portfolio...
If you have $25k cash, that means a $60k truck is only $35k...

Your better off investing your $25k but, whatever. Most buying new are leasing and most buying new understand the pros and cons.

Used truck can quickly become a money pit, especially a Ford. All the issues with the old 5.3 3Vs and Gen 1 Ecoboost. I'd hate to buy a $25k truck and withing 6 months it needs a $5k engine.

But why buy a truck for $25k when you can buy one for $3k and eat ramen noodles and build your own house off the grid for $15k...and and and

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

IDK... I'm just a cheap jew. I know people love new high dollar trucks. Me, I'd rather spend 20k more and get a Lambo or Viper. To each his own.
Disagree. Houses can be money pits, especially cheap ones. People like to say I bought a house for $120k and 8 years later sold it for $140k.

But they forgot inflation, insurance, taxes, the $25k in repairs and upgrades they did, the $8k in yard work, and $10k in closing costs, realtor fees and another $15k in financial charges.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

So you'd rather have a junky used out of warranty 15 year old Gallardo for $80k instead of a brand new warranties luxury truck for $60k?

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you have $25k cash, that means a $60k truck is only $35k...

Your better off investing your $25k but, whatever. Most buying new are leasing and most buying new understand the pros and cons.

Used truck can quickly become a money pit, especially a Ford. All the issues with the old 5.3 3Vs and Gen 1 Ecoboost. I'd hate to buy a $25k truck and withing 6 months it needs a $5k engine.

But why buy a truck for $25k when you can buy one for $3k and eat ramen noodles and build your own house off the grid for $15k...and and and

A $60K truck, is still a $60K truck. Unless someone is giving you the other $25K. Right?

I won't argue the other points because you're right, used vehicles can be a crap shoot. But then again, so can some new ones.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I get that. But, thats why you be with someone who supports your hobby. Before my accord i drove an 01 chevy prism that was rotted and burned oil and had the exhaust held up with shoe strings. My girlfriend at the time hated being seen in it but loved being seen in the cobra. So it was a trade off.

DDing a bucket of shit 99% of the time to keep a 16 year old Mustang worth less than $20k that get’s driven 1% pristine isn’t worth it imo. :rolleyes:

Sirraf

Established Member
The new F150's are not trucks meant to run 100k+ miles, so I hope you're prepared for that.

Getting 100k miles on any new vehicle nowadays is normal and expected. Every car manufacturer has that type of reliability built in. Of course, if you dont take care of it properly, you may have some issues, but still unlikely.

New Ford trucks are more than capable of getting 175-200k miles.

ATX5.0

Established Member
I feel stoopid for financing 20 for 5yr on the ‘18 f150 sport.. Although, I’ll pay it off in half that time frame. My 2c is it depends on how you handle your finances and try to live within your means. Friends call me frugal Paul! So there’s that.

Users who are viewing this thread