New Cobra Owner

Lynusan

Established Member
I figured I should introduce myself since I plan on hanging around this forum a bit longer. I bought this Cobra just a week ago, as a surprise gift to my husband who's overseas right now, but as cruel irony would have it, he closed a deal with someone online the EXACT same weekend, for a car that was supposed to be a gift to me. So long story short, I'm keeping the Cobra because he really wants me to send him his jeep when he gets to Germany, we're selling the car he just bought me....and now I've become officially obsessed with the car.

I found this forum when I was originally looking to buy him the car and I thought it might be useful for me to stick around now. Admittedly, I know very little about cars but I've found myself recently reading everything I possibly can, and I have the benefit of having a renter in my house that's a welder and mechanic.

The car is an '01 Cobra convertible. It's pretty much stock with just a cold air intake and new mufflers/exhaust and only has 25,000 miles on it. The car is pristine inside and I'd like to keep it that way. I've personally never owned a performance car before of any sort so there's a pretty big learning curve but the car is a joy to drive.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions so hopefully everyone will be able to tolerate my "noob-ness."

DSCN0444.jpg

Last edited:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
congrats and welcome!

sounds like you already enjoy your new ride, just wait, there is more to come! any plans for it as of yet?

99MystiC

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. Wow low mileage 01 cobra nice. Do you know what you would first to the car as far as looks or performance?

Lynusan

Established Member
congrats and welcome!

sounds like you already enjoy your new ride, just wait, there is more to come! any plans for it as of yet?

Welcome to the forum. Wow low mileage 01 cobra nice. Do you know what you would first to the car as far as looks or performance?

I'm less than 5 weeks from finishing my 2nd degree so I've been massively busy with that, and what little free time I've had to go out w/ the car I've spent driving it, rather than taking photos haha. The photo above isn't even mine. It's one from the seller of the car. As you can tell...it's nearly 1am here and rather than sleeping I'm on here reading up on this car because I don't have any other time to do it.

As for performance, I honestly don't think I want to do much to the engine. I'll never race it...I'm kinda terrified to drive it as it is lol! My previous car was a hyundai elantra so you can see the huge jump this is for me. I might change out the chip and o2 sensor because those are things I can do myself but I kind of like the fact that it's not been entirely molested.

As for the esthetics of it...you'd probably all cringe if I told you what I *want* to do....(you might all run me out of here haha)

More pics of you, ok thanks!

of me?

zPipes

Established Member
Welcome, and yes, let the molesting begin... it wants it, it really does so dont be shy.

Lynusan

Established Member
You might just be the most awesome wife ever.

He deserved it. He's been on 5 deployments. But it worked out in my favor in the end ;) At least we moved up to giving each other cars though...you should have seen what we bought each other 2 christmas's ago lol

Lynusan

Established Member
Welcome, and yes, let the molesting begin... it wants it, it really does so dont be shy.

*IF* (and only IF) I was going to so any modification to the engine, where is the best place to start. What are the necessities for me to get done first? And I'd like to learn to do a lot of work on this car myself so what are things that are simple enough for me to begin learning on?

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Welcome aboard, with a little driving time you may form some ideas what you would like to do with your Cobra. Completely stock Cobra's are nearly non-existent here :) Time permitting, get some exposure to various events and see what interests you.

Lynusan

Established Member
Welcome aboard, with a little driving time you may form some ideas what you would like to do with your Cobra. Completely stock Cobra's are nearly non-existent here :) Time permitting, get some exposure to various events and see what interests you.

So should I leave it stock then? that's part of the reason I haven't really jumped on the mod bandwagon...I kind of like the fact that there's not many of them left

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Yes, I wouldn't touch a thing until you really know what interests you and what mods are required and form a goal to which you can then plan for. Nothing wastes more money/time than just modding with no objective. Ask me how I know after 5 mustangs! LOL.

Lynusan

Established Member
Yes, I wouldn't touch a thing until you really know what interests you and what mods are required and form a goal to which you can then plan for. Nothing wastes more money/time than just modding with no objective. Ask me how I know after 5 mustangs! LOL.

haha...great, so this car is going to hemorrhage money.

zPipes

Established Member
You have no idea... unfortunatley I had to replace the motor at 55k, amongst the other little here and theres that like to nickle and dime you, for example the clutch cable. But its all worth it for the Cobra.

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
Funny Old Rattling Dump
Factory Ordered Road Disaster

and here is a great one, lol backwards..

Driver Returns On Foot

Oh and enjoy your Throwout Bearing, its been a favorite of mine since I've owned the car. It tends to like to make noises most of the life of the car lol.

Besides that, I love my car and just wish I had the money to do more. All in good time though, all in good time.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
Don't let these guys scare you. When I drive mine it gets driven pretty hard and my 99 has 75k miles on it. The only problems I have had was the stock clutch came out around 50k miles and one of the sensors on the air conditioning. Everything else was a want not a need.

venumissvt

Established Member
hey congrats on your new ride!! i agree drive your car for a while. you will figure out what you wanna do if any. iv had mine for 5 years now and i still dont knw xactly what i wanna do. just that i wanna go faster. lol

swaugsvt01

Detroit Muscle
Established Member
nice... i am also a newbie to the svt club. picked up my '01 performance red cobra vert about a month ago w about 34k. your gonna love it. w/ the cold air and exhaust that you already have, most everything else is geared toward racing and making it faster so you should be satisfied the way it is.

and btw... to one of your other posts... please dont make anything pink if thats what your talking about. :nono: and a couple pics of u and your car would be cool too. :banana:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Welcome! I must admit I thought the request for more pics of you would have come sooner then it did lol

I thought the same, but I still lol'd when it happened.

Welcome aboard and don't mind all the leg humpers. Nice, low mileage 01 you've found. Lots to be learned if you stick around.

Also, tell your husband thanks for serving!

Lynusan

Established Member
You have no idea... unfortunatley I had to replace the motor at 55k, amongst the other little here and theres that like to nickle and dime you, for example the clutch cable. But its all worth it for the Cobra.

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
Funny Old Rattling Dump
Factory Ordered Road Disaster

and here is a great one, lol backwards..

Driver Returns On Foot

Oh and enjoy your Throwout Bearing, its been a favorite of mine since I've owned the car. It tends to like to make noises most of the life of the car lol.

Besides that, I love my car and just wish I had the money to do more. All in good time though, all in good time.

I actually found an issue w/ the transmission today... :( I took it in to my mechanic (and then the local Ford dealer...who wanted to charge me 10x's what my mechanic did to tell me the same thing). I'm having an issue shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear...meaning transmission problems *sigh* And unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to take apart my transmission just to get to the problem.

nice... i am also a newbie to the svt club. picked up my '01 performance red cobra vert about a month ago w about 34k. your gonna love it. w/ the cold air and exhaust that you already have, most everything else is geared toward racing and making it faster so you should be satisfied the way it is.

and btw... to one of your other posts... please dont make anything pink if thats what your talking about. :nono: and a couple pics of u and your car would be cool too. :banana:

I promise nothing is going to be pink!! Pink with a chick that has my platinum blonde hair color just doesn't look good anyhow ;) I actually want to put rallies on it that are just a little darker than Olympic Blue. And either a visor strip that says cobra or matching blue rocker panel vinyl that says cobra. I'm not going to paint it because if I end up hating it, it's cheaper to remove than repaint.

Welcome! I must admit I thought the request for more pics of you would have come sooner then it did lol

I thought the same, but I still lol'd when it happened.

Welcome aboard and don't mind all the leg humpers. Nice, low mileage 01 you've found. Lots to be learned if you stick around.

Also, tell your husband thanks for serving!

Un4givn - Thank you for supporting. And...I'm used to leg humpers. I'm around soldiers all the time.

I will try to get pictures this next weekend (or soon thereafter) I promise! It's just soooo windy here right now that it's not even worth going out in. I'll even take out my hot roommate when I go and get her in some of the pictures for ya'll lol. The only other recent picture I have of me that's anywhere decent is probably a little too risqué for this forum lol.

I really wish I knew of some people on this forum that were in the Colorado Springs area because it would probably drastically help my learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread