New Car Problems, Should the Dealer exchange for another car?

BV600

Established Member
Keep this short. My Mother purchased a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Last week. 5 days into ownership the Power Steering goes out. The car goes to Dealership 30Jan. Today she gets a call and was told it would be at least next wed until they receive the parts from Japan. Car has 1286miles on it. She asked if they could just switch it for another car and they said NO that's what the warranty is for.
Opinons? Any advice here? She just stuck waiting for a car that already needs work done?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
It sucks that she has to wait for parts, but Mitsubishi's network has been all screwed up lately. Like if I need to get any Mitsubishi parts, the closest dealer is in Bakersfield and usually they don't stock anything but basic filters. I would never buy anything from that line just based on their messed up dealer network.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Unfortunately yeah she's stuck. It's not the dealers fault the car broke down, why would they lose money by giving her a new car? Then they are stuck with a used car. They will let the company pay for it, like they said, that's what the warranty is for. That being said the dealer should provide a loaner car until hers is fixed. We have a fleet of loaner cars for situations like this. And our loaner cars are as nice or nicer than most people's new cars.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It sucks she had to wait, but the car isn't eligible for buy back under lemon law. If parts are taking long, ask for a rental.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Unfortunately yeah she's stuck. It's not the dealers fault the car broke down, why would they lose money by giving her a new car? Then they are stuck with a used car. They will let the company pay for it, like they said, that's what the warranty is for. That being said the dealer should provide a loaner car until hers is fixed. We have a fleet of loaner cars for situations like this. And our loaner cars are as nice or nicer than most people's new cars.

This right here

earl lee

Established Member
Sorry, but this is the pain you deal with when you buy a car from a small car maker. Any problem that arises that requires parts or whatever will take forever to get sorted out.

MysticRob

Established Member
Advice? Don't buy a Mitsubishi....

+65,000
Don't buy a vehicle that will be difficult to get parts and service for even in the near future. Mitsu's production #s are pathetic, which means keeping that thing on the road, and resale value, will suck later.

Last edited:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Mitsubishi...the company that brought the world the "A6M Zero". Silly Americans buying products pioneered for suicide bombers.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Advice? Don't buy a Mitsubishi....

+65,000
Don't buy a vehicle that will difficult to get parts and service for even in the near future. Mitsu's production #s are pathetic, which means keeping that thing on the road, and resale value, will suck later.

No shit, my oldests girlfriend had one and what a PITA car to get parts for, expensive and work on.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
If her car stays in the service department for 30 days or more then she may have a case... but at this point all she can do is grin and bear it.

U.M.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Mitsubishi has been flaking in the United States for quite a while. Horrible warranty terms along with subpar reliability would really second guess why you would ever buy one.

I suggest you have your mother call the corporate line and start screaming about how she only has 1200 miles on it and its already ****ed. Then corporate will have to start to deal with it and hopefully get your mother a rental car and some kind of compensation(free oil/lube coupons, rotations, extended p/s coverage).

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Mitsubishi...the company that brought the world the "A6M Zero". Silly Americans buying products pioneered for suicide bombers.

Figured I'd see that pop up. Reminds me of Cotton Hill:

[video=youtube;k8ro16Sps4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ro16Sps4Q[/video]

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hell our Nissan Rogue was off the road for 3 1/2 months with a rental provided due to a back ordered transmission cooler needed for the CVT transmission. Nissan North America picked up the $6000 rental tab and $1200 repair cost.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dealer really should give your wife a loaner while she waits to get her vehicle back, since it's so new. I'd at least talk to the service manager about it. Explain that it is a hardship and why should you have to pay for a rental.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OP, nothing you or she can do about it. A dealer isn't going to take a used vehicle and exchange it for a new one.

The wait for parts begins.

fc6bbdd5c2097607eea8e04166ff1177d9f6be371b3bf8f7485114a521b41453.jpg

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Figured I'd see that pop up. Reminds me of Cotton Hill:

[video=youtube;k8ro16Sps4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ro16Sps4Q[/video]

I was thinking of my grandfathers when I posted that. Both of my grandfathers fought in the pacific in WWII so I heard it all the time. This global economy thingy probably has them doing backflips in their graves.

Users who are viewing this thread