New ADS Meastro Dash Kit 2013 test fit installed

rdplain

Established Member
were you successful in making the changes? i do not have a manual (mine was a demo unit) so i tried to read the manual online but was not able to make it work :shrug:

Yup, the SEEK button did exactly what 12V Guy said it would do. My NIB stereo did not come with a manual, i just downloaded it from the Kenwood site.

Flight96

Hey All, I have been stalking this thread for a while and have decided to do this mod. I have all the bits...

Kenwood DNX691HD
MUS01 Installation Kit
Maestro Rr
2013 BOSS 302 (Base 4 speaker OEM)

I just got the MUS01 Kit and downloaded the instructions from ADS (Kit only had Spanish instructions...) Anyway I have a couple of questions, hopefully someone can answer..

1- Everyone keeps saying this is basically a plug & play installation other than the Sync & OBDII. But to mee it looks like there is a lot of soldering required. Am I correct in saying that you have to solder about 16 wires from the aftermarket radio harness to the T-Harness ?
2- For the OBDII, are both wire the same splice? What I mean is shoul I do both the same, basically making them a 'T' connection? I am thinking of using these http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
3- On the back of the Kenwood there are 5 wires that are curled over,sealed and labelled (ILLUMI,P.Cont,Ant Cont,Remote Cont & Mute) unlike the rest of the wires. Which of these, if any, are used ?
4- Being that I have a base OEM system to start with, there is no AMP/ SUbs (I may install at a later date), Do I just tape up the RCA connections for later use?
5- Finally, when the installation is complete, will I have extra wires/harnesses left over or will I be using all the suppled items. Weird query I know but it looks like there are more connections than I need. That being said I have not yet taken the car apart, I have just laid out all the parts on my work bench.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for all the stupid questions, Im just a dumb car painter :) ....

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
I haven't installed this kit yet, but i have installed aftermarket headunits before.
it sounds like a typical instalation to me.
Your new radio came with a harness that plugs into to the back of the new headunit and has a bunch of wires hanging out of it, then there is a wire harness that plugs into the car's harness where your original controls (head unit) were plugged in to, that will also have a bunch of loose wires. Your job is to connect the wires from the new headunit harness with your new "vehicle specific" harness.
this way you don't actually slice up any of your cars wireing and creating a new functional connection between the radio and your car.
Does that make any sense?

Radio<-radio harness(solders to)vehicle specific harness->car's original plugs

Flight96

Thanks Nuar,
Yes it makes sense, there just seems to be more wires/connections on the new (MUS01) harness than I have on the raditio. But like I said, I have not yet taken the dash apart. That happens this afternoon. I like to get everything laid out first to make sure I have everything. Im no clairavoyant but I see much swearing in my future :eek:

Wiring_zpse528c761.jpg

Nuar

Established Member
A lot of the times the harnesses work with different models of headunits, some have more features, some have less. Usually you will have wires left unused.
if that is the case, just slap some electrical tape on them thats all.

Flight96

So I have hit a small snag...lol...Im connecting the wires between the MUS1 and the Kenwood harness. There are wires that don't quit match up.. 1- On the back of the Kenwood there are 5 wires that are curled over,sealed and labelled (ILLUMI,P.Cont,Ant Cont,Remote Cont & Mute) unlike the rest of the wires. Which of these, if any, are used ? 2- Being that I have a base OEM system to start with, there is no AMP/ SUbs (I may install at a later date), Do I just tape up the RCA connections for later use?
IMG_4606_zps960205c9.jpg
3- Not pictured is the park brake and backup light accessory wires. I will not be installing a back-up camera and I don't want the park brake safety on so can I just leave these off ?

Last edited:

12V Guy

Established Member
As shown in the large picture you posted:

1. Blue/white goes to Blue/white (P Cont)
2. Orange goes to Orange/White (color diff is due to Kenwood not following EIA colors, sorry)
3. Brown - Not used
4. Reverse - only needed if you install back up camera to trigger it to come up in reverse
5. Light Green - Parking brake - must either be connected (lt green to lt green) or lt green from radio must be grounded. If not, you will never get any video from a DVD and some menus will be locked out.
6. Blue - Not used from radio

RCA - there are a few in the harness. Those labeled Aux in are from the 3.5mm jack in your car if you DO NOT have Sync. If you have Sync they are not used. If you don't and you want to be able to plug something into your OEM jack, connect these RCA into one of the Aux inputs of your radio

SUB out, only used if you have factory subs in the car. Not really used in 2013/14 at all. So no need to tape up as the 8 pin harness they come from will not plug into anything in your vehicle (should be missing in your radio harness).

Hope this helps,

12V Guy

PS. never a good idea to mix wine with installing. LOL

Last edited:

Flight96

As shown in the large picture you posted:

1. Blue/white goes to Blue/white (P Cont)
2. Orange goes to Orange/White (color diff is due to Kenwood not following EIA colors, sorry)
3. Brown - Not used
4. Reverse - only needed if you install back up camera to trigger it to come up in reverse
5. Light Green - Parking brake - must either be connected (lt green to lt green) or lt green from radio must be grounded. If not, you will never get any video from a DVD and some menus will be locked out.
6. Blue - Not used from radio

RCA - there are a few in the harness. Those labeled Aux in are from the 3.5mm jack in your car if you DO NOT have Sync. If you have Sync they are not used. If you don't and you want to be able to plug something into your OEM jack, connect these RCA into one of the Aux inputs of your radio

SUB out, only used if you have factory subs in the car. Not really used in 2013/14 at all. So no need to tape up as the 8 pin harness they come from will not plug into anything in your vehicle (should be missing in your radio harness).

Hope this helps,

12V Guy

PS. never a good idea to mix wine with installing. LOL

Thanks for the reply ! I got it all installed that weekend and everything worked on my first try, dunno how the hell that happened !! Must have been the wine !!:rolling: I even made a nice new boot-up screen instead of the boring Kenwood one....

Startup6_zpsc312e4d7.jpg

03_100th

Established Member
Getting ready to do this install and have a question....

Can the factory trunk satellite antennae still be used with the aftermarket unit? If no, where did anyone put it and get a good signal? And not be real noticeable. Hoping I can use the factory one....it seems to fit to the new unit, but is slightly loose.

scott_0

Established Member
Getting ready to do this install and have a question....

Can the factory trunk satellite antennae still be used with the aftermarket unit? If no, where did anyone put it and get a good signal? And not be real noticeable. Hoping I can use the factory one....it seems to fit to the new unit, but is slightly loose.

you have the Sirius receiver right? yes you can use the factory satellite antenna, I plugged it up and let it be, yes, as you said it's loose but it's not disturbed at all, so I don't see an issue. just took a 1700mi trip and it was no issue

03_100th

Established Member
you have the Sirius receiver right? yes you can use the factory satellite antenna, I plugged it up and let it be, yes, as you said it's loose but it's not disturbed at all, so I don't see an issue. just took a 1700mi trip and it was no issue

Yes, I have the receiver. Great, thanks for the info. I was mainly worried about intermittent connection. I will go ahead and use it then. Thanks.

Nuar

Established Member
If it really is that loose, Just use some electrical tape to secure it to the module. No one will see it anyway and that way it wont come loose?

03_100th

Established Member
Has anyone had an issue with some of the speakers not working? I have the shaker 500 and after installing the kit, only the door woofers are working. I connected the sub in and the other 4 RCA (green, purple, white and gray) into the back of the radio (dnx891hd). Am I missing something?

03_100th

Established Member
I got it working. I found out I have a new version of the T harness and it has RCA for the speakers instead of just wires. I was not able to just connect the RCAs to the preouts on the radio. I ended up having to cut them off and connecting to the radio harness normally. Just an FYI.

12V Guy

Established Member
I got it working. I found out I have a new version of the T harness and it has RCA for the speakers instead of just wires. I was not able to just connect the RCAs to the preouts on the radio. I ended up having to cut them off and connecting to the radio harness normally. Just an FYI.

The RCA's are for the newer cars with just "Shaker" or "Shaker Pro" systems. In those cars all speakers are amplified and the subs are driven off the same amp (crossover done in amp) so you just connect the RCA to front and rear out of the deck and all is good. In older cars, you need to cut them off and connect to the speaker outputs, as you discovered.

scott_0

Established Member
The RCA's are for the newer cars with just "Shaker" or "Shaker Pro" systems. In those cars all speakers are amplified and the subs are driven off the same amp (crossover done in amp) so you just connect the RCA to front and rear out of the deck and all is good. In older cars, you need to cut them off and connect to the speaker outputs, as you discovered.
shouldnt that be noted somewhere so people that arent on forums dont run into this issue?.........

Users who are viewing this thread