New ADS Meastro Dash Kit 2013 test fit installed

Double J

Hi guys...thought I'd chime in and show a pic of my "custom" install with the MUS1 kit. I wasn't happy with the blue LEDs on the button bar so I decided to go a different route and change the color. I think it looks MUCH better. Let me know what you think!

Q79RY0m.jpg

Nuar

Established Member
I think that looks great man! Would you mind sharing which leds you used and where you got them?

Double J

I think that looks great man! Would you mind sharing which leds you used and where you got them?

No problem. I got the LEDs here...

http://lighthouseleds.com/0805-smd-led-red-ultra-bright-170-mcd.html

The 0805 LEDs are the same size they used in the kit so they fit perfect and work great! Obviously you would only need 5 but I bought 20 because they're cheap and you'll also go through a few of them as you hone in your soldering skills. There's also plenty of other colors if RED isn't what you're looking for. In the end it was really easy to do if you have any soldering experience.

I just couldn't get past the different shade of blue used in the MUS1 kit. Although ADS was really good at offering a "corrected" button bar, the one I received was still the same color as the old one. So rather than bother trying to get it corrected I decided to do the next best thing and change the color to something a little more to my liking. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

Last edited:

m4tic

Established Member
i received the "corrected" bar but its the same dark blue color.... A for effort though! 12v Guy is a huge help either way. I just set the headunit to match it; not so much a big deal. But I may take on an LED swap project since I have an extra button bar.

Double J

i received the "corrected" bar but its the same dark blue color.... A for effort though! 12v Guy is a huge help either way. I just set the headunit to match it; not so much a big deal. But I may take on an LED swap project since I have an extra button bar.

Yep same here. New button bar, same color. The swap seriously took 20 minutes and makes such a huge difference. Admittedly I ruined my first button bar because of two things. 1. My soldering iron was too hot (25 watt is all you need). 2. I ordered the wrong size LEDs first and tried to force them to work which made things worse. Once I switched to my 25 watt iron and had the correct size (0805) LEDs, things went smooth and took less than 30 minutes start to finish. For me it was needed because the darker blue is just out of place and it's right in line of sight so I couldn't get over it. I'm much happier now and actually look forward to every time I get to drive at night now. Red is a perfect contrast to the "ice blue" that Ford uses.

Darth Vapor

Established Member
Thanks. Just had the 991HD installed this past weekend. I have some questions after getting used to the system.

1. Will the system always reboot with the climate controls operating in the same position as when last turned off? I ask because I had my installer install the Max AC button in the hopes the AC will run on high after the reboot or if you push it while the Kenwood unit reboots which takes a while. It's really hot in Texas. If it always runs at the last setting I'm trying to find the value of the Max AC button.

2. If I want to change the buttons and reprogram the functionality, can the buttons be removed without pulling the dash kit?

3. Can you reprogram the buttons from the USB inputs on the dash kit or do you have to pull the kit and flash the RR?

4. The volume controls on the steering wheel, when you push and hold it mutes. You have to individually press the button to turn up or down the volume. Can this be changed? It's a bit of a pain.

5. I have to push and hold the steering wheel voice command to get the Sync voice chime command. Pre Maestro I just had to push it and the chime was next to instant. The delay takes a good time, sometimes it doesn't work at all?

Thanks...

Darth Vapor

Established Member
Question for Kenwood owners....

If you have any Kenwood head unit and satellite, how many satellite preset channels can you program?

The 991HD can only do 6. I called tech support to confirm and they said yes. They treated me like I was crazy for wanting more than 6 presets and that not many users have satellite.

For a $1500 head unit, pretty poor in my opinion.

PSIHouston

PSIHouston
Established Member
Subs

got all the door speakers in today. Did not get to installing the radio yet.

20131018_195241_zpsf3574ab1.jpg

20131019_180959_zps1756ec90.jpg

20131019_201143_zpsc8445fa2.jpg

20131019_194133_zpsdd26f560.jpg

20131018_204422_zps77952315.jpg

This is only 3.5" deep not 4" like the book says, so be careful what speakers you buy.

Which RF's are those. Where they a direct plug and play with the stock door subs? How did it work with the difference in ohms and how did they sound with the stock amp? Did you have to alter anything to get them in the door??

m4tic

Established Member
I believe the AC starts in the last state.

You're going to have to pull the dash kit to get the button bar off; also how else are you going to get to the RR module to reflash/reprogram the buttons?

On my button setup I have A/C as #4 button; if I hold it MAX A/C will turn on.

12V Guy

Established Member
Thanks. Just had the 991HD installed this past weekend. I have some questions after getting used to the system.

1. Will the system always reboot with the climate controls operating in the same position as when last turned off? I ask because I had my installer install the Max AC button in the hopes the AC will run on high after the reboot or if you push it while the Kenwood unit reboots which takes a while. It's really hot in Texas. If it always runs at the last setting I'm trying to find the value of the Max AC button.

2. If I want to change the buttons and reprogram the functionality, can the buttons be removed without pulling the dash kit?

3. Can you reprogram the buttons from the USB inputs on the dash kit or do you have to pull the kit and flash the RR?

4. The volume controls on the steering wheel, when you push and hold it mutes. You have to individually press the button to turn up or down the volume. Can this be changed? It's a bit of a pain.

5. I have to push and hold the steering wheel voice command to get the Sync voice chime command. Pre Maestro I just had to push it and the chime was next to instant. The delay takes a good time, sometimes it doesn't work at all?

Thanks...

it will always start in same state as when the car was turned off. however, the quick access buttons on the bar work even before the radio boots up. So you can start the car and kick on Max AC. Max AC does the same thing the original button did. We don't know the value.

You can pry them off carefully and replace them without taking apart kit. Take care not to scratch the kit or break the button top.

You must remove the MRR module from the car (and any power source) in order to reprogram it on the web. The USB input on the pocket connect to your radio, not to Maestro.

By default, Mute On/Off is set as the "press and hold" function of the volume down button. This can be deleted in the website when you re-flash the module. Volume up should repeat if you hold the button down.

The voice button works differently after Maestro is installed.
You can still say all your commands, but you need to make Sync start you off with the correct prompt. Originally, when you pressed voice, Sync would respond with "Sync Please say a command" and from there you could say anything.

This is not how it works with Ford Navi. You have to initiate EITHER a media prompt or a phone prompt and then issue commands that go with either. Here's how:

Press and release Voice Button: Sync Media Voice prompt - Sync will say "USB (or Line In or BT Audio) please say a command. If you are not in the Sync as a source, the Kenwood radio will also auto switch to the correct Sync GUI screen before Sync will talk. The delay is so we can make the switch before the sync talks but if you are already using Sync then the voice will be instant. This is a source switch so after you are done the radio will remain in the Sync screen and will not go back to where it was before you pressed the voice button.

Press and hold Voice Button: Sync Phone Voice prompt - Sync will say "Phone, please say a command". From here you can give Sync voice commands related to making phone calls. Once finished you will be returned to whatever source you were listening to. This is also instant (expect for the short delay to hold the button down on the steering wheel).

Cheers,

rdplain

Established Member
12V Guy: Question for you.

On the stock stereo, when in radio mode & you hit the Seek up/down buttons on the steering wheel, it would go to the next programmed station. With the Maestro, it actually seeks and finds the next available station. Is there a way to program this to the stock settings?
Kenwood DNX691HD Radio BTW
Thanks!

scott_0

Established Member

On the stock stereo, when in radio mode & you hit the Seek up/down buttons on the steering wheel, it would go to the next programmed station. With the Maestro, it actually seeks and finds the next available station. Is there a way to program this to the stock settings?
Thanks!

yeah there must be a setting, my wife was complaining today that my steering wheel buttons only jump to my programmed stations, not seek, so there is obviously a setting to change he back and forth

dc2r

Established Member

Thanks!

i have the same problem with a DNX890 :cryying:

12V Guy

Established Member
i have the same problem with a DNX890 :cryying:

You guys all need to RTFM!! :)

Kenwood has a button on the bottom bar called "SEEK" When you press it is changes the function of both the track up/down keys in radio AND the steering wheel buttons. In FM Tuner, pressing this button will cycle between

Manual Tuning - up/down one frequency step
Seek Tuning - Up/Down to next strong station
Preset Tuning - Up/down to next preset

In Satellite Tuner there are only two choices:

You can press the SEEK button any time you want to change what they do.

Cheers,

rdplain

Established Member
You guys all need to RTFM!! :)

Kenwood has a button on the bottom bar called "SEEK" When you press it is changes the function of both the track up/down keys in radio AND the steering wheel buttons. In FM Tuner, pressing this button will cycle between

Seek Tuning - Up/Down to next strong station

In Satellite Tuner there are only two choices:

You can press the SEEK button any time you want to change what they do.

Cheers,

Thanks 12V guy!
The manual is 142 pages long, and this radio does SO MUCH, it's kinda of overwhelming!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
How are the pioneer double dins for the 5.0's? I guess its not a top tier brand anymore, the only links i saw were kenwood and alpine.

Thanks for posting pics btw, the setup looks sick, oh man my wallet is going to take a whopping this year for car parts alone!!!! :(

scott_0

Established Member
since we're on the topic of radio stations, heres a heads up........just a heads up for anyone that eliminates the factory amp all together, the antenna gets its 12v from that harness, meaning as soon as you cut power to the factory amp, the antenna in the trunk loses power the antenna amplifier. I installed a 4 channel amp and did away completely with the factory amp and 8" door subs, when I used the headunit amp turn on, that was formerly attached to the factory amp, my radio reception got terrible! I did some google searching and found out our antennas are powered and the box is attached to the antenna in the trunk. I simply spliced into the antenna 12v feed at the antenna box, then ran it to the remote amp turn on on the amp, voila!!!! HD radio again

dc2r

Established Member
Thanks 12V guy!
The manual is 142 pages long, and this radio does SO MUCH, it's kinda of overwhelming!

were you successful in making the changes? i do not have a manual (mine was a demo unit) so i tried to read the manual online but was not able to make it work :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread