New ADS Meastro Dash Kit 2013 test fit installed

Darth Vapor

Established Member

Thanks for the info. Can you clarify does this come with the ADS-HRN-FORD1 harness or is that separate?

Darth Vapor

Established Member
Correct, the X008U will not fit in the kit. It's too big..

Hi, can you help confirm...I've been trying to find out which of the Mustang compatible iDatalink head units retain all of the Ford features, Sync, Steering, OEM Support and Climate Control through the head unit? The core features us easy to check on the website but the Climate Control through the head unit is not clear.

The only one I know 100% for sure is the Kenwood 991HD.

Does the new Alpine 957HD?

What about all of the other Kenwood DNX models that are iDatalink compatible?

I almost had my mind made up on the Pioneer NEX8000 because I wanted the capacitive touch, but worried about the Kenwood boot times. Only to find that it doesn't support most of the features currently, including climate controls. According to the Pioneer rep they don't think they will be able to equal the Kenwood features until the end of the year.

The SOT deals might allow me to keep my build in budget and the head unit is my biggest expense as much as I want the 991HD, $1500 is steep. So I want to be sure I choose a unit fully compatible with the MUS1 kit.

Everyone I ask doesn't know, they say call the manufacturer, they don't know or don't call back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Darth Vapor

Established Member
So between the Kenwood top of the line and Alpine models that fit, which one is better if price is irrelevant ?

I'm no expert but in my brief research, I'd say the Kenwood 991HD because of the capacitive touch screen and WiFi and Verizon dongle Compatability. I'm sure the audio specs and generic features are pretty comparable.

Mushtang

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Can you clarify does this come with the ADS-HRN-FORD1 harness or is that separate?
The ADSKITMUS01 has the Vehicle Harness included in the package and the ADSMRR comes with the packages they are offering. You shouldn't need anything else, unless you are trying to add satellite radio or other aftermarket accessories.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Hi, can you help confirm...I've been trying to find out which of the Mustang compatible iDatalink head units retain all of the Ford features, Sync, Steering, OEM Support and Climate Control through the head unit? The core features us easy to check on the website but the Climate Control through the head unit is not clear.

I almost had my mind made up on the Pioneer NEX8000 because I wanted the capacitive touch, but worried about the Kenwood boot times. Only to find that it doesn't support most of the features currently, including climate controls. According to the Pioneer rep they don't think they will be able to equal the Kenwood features until the end of the year.

The SOT deals might allow me to keep my build in budget and the head unit is my biggest expense as much as I want the 991HD, $1500 is steep. So I want to be sure I choose a unit fully compatible with the MUS1 kit.

Everyone I ask doesn't know, they say call the manufacturer, they don't know or don't call back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The simplest method to determine which Kenwood is iDatalink Maestro compatible is to go to this link and select Base for 2. Steering Wheel, select Sync, then 3. Radio, select Kenwood. Without selecting a model you will then see pix of all the head units below, and if it says DATA in a green box above the model number for DNX/DNN models, then it will work on your Mustang that has Sync. Not sure what the deal is with the DDX models that also show DATA, but 12v Guy has repeatedly stated DDX=NO, DNX/DDX=YES.

[Edit - See post below from 12v Guy, he's the expert, so I was partially right... ;) ]

In case you were wondering, 2012 models have the 4 digit model #s, 2013, 3 digits, and the new 2014's a 1 on the end of a 3 digit number, e.g. DNX6190HD, DNX690HD, DNX691HD. Your mileage may vary.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/search...013&vehicle_model_id=66&vehicle_audio_id=8478

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
anyone thinking about doing this setup, do it!!! I had a few hiccups (back when I first installed) but the system is seamless and acts oem, I recently installed long tubes and was getting a CEL from the rear O2's, I'm able to check and reset the CEL right on the head unit, it really impresses my buddies when I show them

Darth Vapor

Established Member
The simplest method to determine which Kenwood is iDatalink Maestro compatible is to go to this link and select Base for 2. Steering Wheel, select Sync, then 3. Radio, select Kenwood. Without selecting a model you will then see pix of all the head units below, and if it says DATA in a green box above the model number for DNX/DNN models, then it will work on your Mustang that has Sync. Not sure what the deal is with the DDX models that also show DATA, but 12v Guy has repeatedly stated DDX=NO, DNX/DDX=YES.

In case you were wondering, 2012 models have the 4 digit model #s, 2013, 3 digits, and the new 2014's a 1 on the end of a 3 digit number, e.g. DNX6190HD, DNX690HD, DNX691HD. Your mileage may vary.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/search...013&vehicle_model_id=66&vehicle_audio_id=8478

Thanks, I've checked this but it does not mention climate controls. The Pioneer NEX8000 is compatible with some features but not climate control so I don't want to assume all of the Kenwoods do. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy the 991 if they ever release it, but I'd like to know my options.

12V Guy

Established Member
Got everything installed and working flawlessly. Went with the DNX690HD with the v200 XM tuner. I managed to get everything for under $1100 new off ebay and amazon so I am very happy. Only 1 thing held up my install, which was the brackets included in the mus1 kit to bolt in the radio. Looked to me like I got two right side brackets instead of a left and right so I had to do some cutting on the bracket to make it work on the left side. Anybody else have that issue? Either that or i am dumb and couldn't figure out how to make it work without modification.

20140313_125800_zps88f6938f.jpg

Hi,

You might have actually received kit with two left or two right brackets. We have seen this about 3 times since launch. Not sure how it happened in assembly, but we are watching for it very carefully. Glad you were able to make it work.

Cheers,

Last edited:

12V Guy

Established Member

All Kenwood DNN, DNX and DDX with 4 digit part numbers - Fully Compatible
Alpine INE-957HD, X008U, X009U - Fully compatible
Pioneer NEX series - Compatible to retain Sync, but will not offer gauges, vehicle info or Climate Control - Lack of climate control means you cannot use our MUS1 dash kit this year. Maybe next year. Also, these radios need an update that will be released in summer to have compatibility with Sync. As shipped today, they are not compatible at all.

Cheers,

Mushtang

Established Member
All Kenwood DNN, DNX and DDX with 4 digit part numbers - Fully Compatible
Alpine INE-957HD, X008U, X009U - Fully compatible
Pioneer NEX series - Compatible to retain Sync, but will not offer gauges, vehicle info or Climate Control - Lack of climate control means you cannot use our MUS1 dash kit this year. Maybe next year. Also, these radios need an update that will be released in summer to have compatibility with Sync. As shipped today, they are not compatible at all.

Cheers,
In addition, please keep in mind that the X008U and X009U while fully compatible, you can't use the MUS1 Kit because the screen size is too big.

Turtleneck1971

Established Member
I'm very interested in doing this upgrade. If someone does the Alpine INE-W957HD please post a review or something. I'm torn between which receiver to purchase.

12V Guy

Established Member
Thanks. Does the other harness serve another purpose or does it just make the install easier?

The harness that comes in the MUS1 Dash kit package is exactly the same as the ADS-HRN-FOR01, but incudes an extra plug for the button bar. You absolutely require the harness in the MUS1 kit for the install, but you will not need the ADS-HRN-FOR01 as it would be redundant.

Cheers,

Mushtang

Established Member
I'm no expert but in my brief research, I'd say the Kenwood 991HD because of the capacitive touch screen and WiFi and Verizon dongle Compatability. I'm sure the audio specs and generic features are pretty comparable.

DNN991HD is in stock and shipping out now. ALSO big news, Kenwood and Garmin are offering a $100 mail in rebate on this model and $75 mail in rebates on the other models CLICK HERE for more details

Users who are viewing this thread