New 2012 GT- Oil questions

Adam03GT

Established Member
So I have had many mustangs in the past and always ran fully synthetic Mobil 1 5w20. I am picking up my brand new 2012 Race Red GT :banana: in 3 days and I want to make sure that I am using the best.

I know the oil you use depends on your climate, so i live in Oklahoma. The car will be daily driven and will not see track/drag time, only the occasional romping.

What would be the best oil/weight/oil filter to use on my new car. Also, I have never bought a new car so when do I need to do my first oil change? I have heard at 1,000 miles and want confirmation.

Also, if the oil is not one that you can buy over the counter at a local store, please inform me where it can be purchased at.

Thanks, Adam

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The best this industry has to offer isn't easily found off the shelf, and must be ordered.

Red Line, Amsoil Signature Series, & Royal Purple HPS.

Compromise off the shelf would be Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 or 10W-30 (depending on climate). It's actually not to bad of a price when you can buy it in 5 quart containers.

I honestly have no idea where the best place to order Red Line or Royal Purple HPS is. I'm sure others could chime in on their shopping experience.

Amsoil can be ordered direct @ dealer cost by signing up as a preferred customer.

Last edited:

Adam03GT

Established Member
So after looking at the pricing for the Amsoil, it is surprisingly affordable. What weight did you recommend for the amsoil in the warmer climate? Just to ensure I have the one that you are referring too:

SAE 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil and Engine Oil

What did you recommend as an oil filter? I had always used Motocraft and changed it at 3-5k. Is that sufficient?

Thanks for the advice

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
AZO is a really robust lubricant. Here is a sample taken from a 2003 Cobra Terminator after 5,200 miles. *says SSO, but it's the newer AZO formulation*

1b635052.jpg

TBN is still very healthy after 5,200 miles @ 4.3 and NO shearing at all.

This lubricant was wasted when it was dumped.

Wildman113

Established Member
The best this industry has to offer isn't easily found off the shelf, and must be ordered.

Compromise off the shelf would be Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 or 10W-30 (depending on climate). It's actually not to bad of a price when you can buy it in 5 quart containers.

Also, Mobil 1 0W-40 is an excellent street/track oil. It has higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorus than regular Mobil 1 due to its Mercedes Benz specification.

I just bought Royal Purple 5W-30 HPS for my '04 Cobra, be be careful running that in a brand new car, as it could easily void the warranty (if they somehow found out). Its not API rated, since it has too many extra additives to meet the latest API specs, which are geared towards emmissions and converter life rather than engine protection and longevity.

Adam03GT

Established Member
I see you ran 0w30 for the analysis in the Cobra, any reason over the 5w30 (or 10w30)? I have no clue what AZO means, this is all new to me.

Basically, is the oil that I linked in post #3 your recommended oil

I really appreciate your help

Last edited:

Adam03GT

Established Member
I do believe that i found the AZO that you were referring too. So, in a climate like Oklahoma where it gets 100+ in the summer and 0 and into the negatives in the winter, is there an oil that i could run year round or is it best that my oil changes with the temperature?

Is AMSOIL - Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (AZO) what you recommend for my new motor or would the one posted in post #3 be more suited?

Again, thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
"AZO" 0W-30 was once called "SSO" 0W-30, before the reformulation.

The only time I would stress using Amsoil ATM 10W-30 is if the car was driven in a very hot climate and someone beat the brakes off the car constantly. For daily driving, and occasional WOT runs/street brawls. 0W-30 is a fine lubricant. I expected it to shear a little bit on that 5,xxx mile run, but needless to say....I was shocked and impressed at the same time. 0W-30 AZO is amazing.

Also, Mobil 1 0W-40 is an excellent street/track oil. It has higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorus than regular Mobil 1 due to its Mercedes Benz specification.

M1 0W-40 is one of the go to off the shelf oils to use, however...it still has limitations. The formulation shears rapidly and the base stock is refined petroleum (not 100% true synthetic). I'm also working on a project to see if higher levels of ZDDP actually reduce wear in newer engines. So far, the results are telling me NO, but I still have one test left to complete.

Last edited:

Adam03GT

Established Member
Just ordered oil for two changes with 0W-30 AZO along with the amsoil filters. I really appreciate the help, can't wait to pick up my 5.0!! :)

5.0Trunk

Established Member
Just ordered oil for two changes with 0W-30 AZO along with the amsoil filters. I really appreciate the help, can't wait to pick up my 5.0!! :)

LOL... I ordered last week also, and changed it over the weekend... Thanks, UnleashedBeast!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've been running 5w30 Royal Purple HPS in the SVTP 2012 GT for 5000 miles. When I get a chance to change it I'll post an oil analysis for it. Might help you make up your mind.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
Adam
I'm from Oklahoma originally and your definitely making the right choice by getting away from the 5-20. It's just too thin for our cars and hot climates like Oklahoma. I have a 2012 gt and I'm running amsoil 10-30 in mine. It's not a daily driven car an I'm pushing the motor just a little harder than most. I converted over to e85 with a procharger d1sc running 12psi. Yup stock motor too.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Does the new 5.0 motor call for 5W20 in the owners manual like Terminators?
Never a fan of that weight in the Modulars..
As far as off the shelf Unleashed I've used the Valvoline Synpower 5W30 in my Cobra with a K&N filter since the built motor has been broken in.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Does the new 5.0 motor call for 5W20 in the owners manual like Terminators?
Never a fan of that weight in the Modulars..
As far as off the shelf Unleashed I've used the Valvoline Synpower 5W30 in my Cobra with a K&N filter since the built motor has been broken in.

The GT 5.0 calls for 5w20. The Boss and GT Track Pack 5.0 calls for 5w50. The only real reason for the different recommendations is anticipated use.

Anxious to see the sample from your engine.

It'll probably be mid-June before I get a chance to change it. I'm going to put an 820 filter on it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It'll probably be mid-June before I get a chance to change it. I'm going to put an 820 filter on it.

Send on to me when you get it, thanks. I want to add it to the list.

Here is an observation I've made. This test run of Amsoil RD30 Dominator, I decided to use the Royal Purple 20-820 filter for testing this round, since it's the same as the newly revised Amsoil EaO11 (both manufactured by Champion Labs). What I have noticed is that my car now requires 6.75 to 7 quarts of oil to be full instead of the normal 6.5 quarts. This is evidence that the new filter is just how Amsoil markets it.....a revision to improve flow and capacity.

It won't fit. The threads are different.

Use a larger hammer. :bash:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would imagine that the synthetic "glass" media in the RP and Amsoil filters does not absorb oil as much as a traditional cellulose filter media.

Users who are viewing this thread