• 2001-04 Tacoma 4cyl. 5sp. reg. cab

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • 2001-04 Dodge Dakota 4.7 v8 5sp. ex. cab

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R1Lello

Established Member
swing a deal on the F150.....tows just fine, I had one and my Shelby is not the lightest car........to help it, just added a bit more gearing

cheese5.0

Cheese...?
Established Member
dude get the cummins. torque for years, pretty quick for a diesel, actually gets really good mpg (my dads gets around 22 on the highway) cheap mods, easy to repair in your own garage, will run for a zillion miles, and lets face it, the dodge looks best :rockon:

Also, if you're worried about the trans being bad/going bad, just get the 5spd or a '00-'02 with the 6spd manual

Last edited:

351inside

Established Member
93-95 lightning, Well at least thats what im getting and im sure its about the same price range as the ones you listed, maybe around 5-6 k but i know it wasnt one of your choices, so i would go with the cummins

hammerhead2

Established Member
I chose the Tacoma for a couple reasons. I have owned one of those trucks and I could not say enough good things about it. Yes it is small and a little under powered but it is a great off road vehicle and has unmatched realiabilty. I routinely did better off road in that little truck than buddies with dodge's, jeeps, FX4 fords, and Z71's. It had better ground clearance and approch angles than most any of the full size trucks. I had a 168,000 miles on that truck and not one singal problem with it. It was also a 98 model and I sold it for more than my buddies 99 full size Z71 and mine had more miles on it. I drove the truck for over two years put over 75,000 miles on it and sold it for only 1400 less than I paid for it. I will say passing someone on a one lane road was a chore and it was not overtly roomy. It also had a decent amount of road noise but other than that it was a GREAT truck.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
theres better options out there

lightning
HD
powerstroke

screw a f150 with a 4.6, and forget the tacoma or dakota

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Just remember with the dodge ram, while the cummins is a great motor, everything else is just absolute shit...

the motor will last forever, the rest of the truck definitely will not

Atleast when the truck is gone you can swap the motor into a go kart or something :D

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I picked up a 2001 Expedition XLT, 5.4L, 4X4... for 8K.

It will tow my R to the track, haul all kinds of crap (tools, tires, etc), and has lots of room for friends. I've also already had it out 4 wheelin in the Pismo Beach dunes twice, and it did awesome.

b46j2w.jpg

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Seeing as your going back to 1994, and the post above me mentioned an expedition, if you are going to consider a SUV, look into one of these leviathans

img_6703.jpg

img_6705.jpg

Centurion bronco, basically a old excursion.. they came in 150/250/350 sizes... A C250 or C350 would be a great hauler for sure... Plus, guarantee you will never see another one on the road :rockon:

If you need a bed for something, that roof comes off! :-D

StreamlineGT

Established Member
I didn't read too closely as to what your budget is, but based on the options, probably under 10 grand. There are no "good" trucks that will do all the stuff you want in this price range. Anything with a 7.3 is fetching good money. I will agree with the comment about the Cummins lasting forever, while the truck will only last 10 years before rot and tranny problems take over.. My vote is for the F-150, but even those are not immune from problems. If you can, try to swing a 2004-up F-150. Those trucks are full of win, and wicked reliable, at least my 75k example is. Haven't had to put any money in it.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I didn't read too closely as to what your budget is, but based on the options, probably under 10 grand. There are no "good" trucks that will do all the stuff you want in this price range. Anything with a 7.3 is fetching good money. I will agree with the comment about the Cummins lasting forever, while the truck will only last 10 years before rot and tranny problems take over.. My vote is for the F-150, but even those are not immune from problems. If you can, try to swing a 2004-up F-150. Those trucks are full of win, and wicked reliable, at least my 75k example is. Haven't had to put any money in it.

you can get a 7.3L for under 10k....it'll be higher miles but that doesnt matter.

my parents got a pristine 97 crew cab xlt 7.3L powerstroke that hauled a 5th wheel for some old people. got it at like 220k miles...its up to about 300k now and the only thing theyve done is replace the rear main cuz it was leaking

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I picked up a 2001 Expedition XLT, 5.4L, 4X4... for 8K.

It will tow my R to the track, haul all kinds of crap (tools, tires, etc), and has lots of room for friends. I've also already had it out 4 wheelin in the Pismo Beach dunes twice, and it did awesome.

b46j2w.jpg

Nice truck but a Diesel Excursion will get better fuel economy, has more room, a better towing capacity, and is more mod friendly.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
i say get the dodge 2500, but make sure it is a diesel, that truck in the picture is not a diesel, its a gasser.

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
that's a no brainer... lol, cummins for sure.

how much more is diesel in your area? it's around the same price here.

Users who are viewing this thread