Need Feedback Concerning Shifter For Gt500!!!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
hey guys,

well we FINALLY got our project car to start making some gt500 stuff.

our new 2007 tungsten grey vert arrived this week at the shop.

first thing i did was start tearing down the shifter mechanism to get started on a new shifter .

BUT>>>>>>>>>

1. the stock shifter is actually quite a short throw and VERY nice to shift.

2. the stock shifter is an absolute B%$CH to remove and swap out.

3. i do not see an aftermarket shifter being THAT much of an improvement
over stock to be perfectly honest. yes i can get the throws shorter and such but the stock one is not that long to start and it really feels good.

my question is what do you guys think?? is there really going to be alot of people swapping out their shifters?

just curious before i go making a whole new shifter that may or may not be that successful !!!

regards
george
:pop:

harley99fb

Established Member
MGW said:
hey guys,

well we FINALLY got our project car to start making some gt500 stuff.

our new 2007 tungsten grey vert arrived this week at the shop.

first thing i did was start tearing down the shifter mechanism to get started on a new shifter .

BUT>>>>>>>>>

1. the stock shifter is actually quite a short throw and VERY nice to shift.

2. the stock shifter is an absolute B%$CH to remove and swap out.

3. i do not see an aftermarket shifter being THAT much of an improvement
over stock to be perfectly honest. yes i can get the throws shorter and such but the stock one is not that long to start and it really feels good.

my question is what do you guys think?? is there really going to be alot of people swapping out their shifters?

just curious before i go making a whole new shifter that may or may not be that successful !!!

regards
george
:pop:

As far as mods go, I haven't even considered changing mine because I agree that the throw is quite short stock.:)

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
george, loved your shifter in my 03 cobra... but if it isn't a major difference between stock and your new one... i'll prolly just stick with the stock.

Crossss

Mad Torque Inc.
Established Member
George, as you probably know I've been tracking you shifter upgrade for a while. I've driven my buddies GT500 with the steeda tri-ax and I must say that it was far better than stock. The shifting was much more precise and firm. While the stock shifter seem like an improvement over the 03/04 Cobra's, they still feel sloppy and flimsy when compared to upgraded models. I hope you make the shifter. :thumbsup:

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
Like Crossss said, it is not as much the throw but the precision and firmness of the shift even if the throw was close to or stock but it felt more mechanical like the blue handle in my 03 cobra I would not think twice to purchase your shifter. Also I have been waiting a long time for you to make a shifter for this car... I want it bad.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
George:

The shifter is one of the MANY things I thought was an improvement over the previous SVT offering. IMHO there are several things I'd like to do to the car, and to tell you the truth, the shifter doesn't even show up on the radar.

My .02 cents anyway. FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

R U TRIPIN

Established Member
Crossss said:
George, as you probably know I've been tracking you shifter upgrade for a while. I've driven my buddies GT500 with the steeda tri-ax and I must say that it was far better than stock. The shifting was much more precise and firm. While the stock shifter seem like an improvement over the 03/04 Cobra's, they still feel sloppy and flimsy when compared to upgraded models. I hope you make the shifter. :thumbsup:

i too also have the steeda tri-ax and love it.... it made shifting the car so easy... click and your in the nexted gear... it cuts the hand movement in 1/2... you'll never miss 3rd thats for sure...

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
If you don't mind answering, how many (ballpark) would you have to sell to reach the break-even point (regarding development cost)? Hundreds? Thousands?

chuckstang

Established Member
I have never missed 3rd in any car with any shifter so I really never understood that as a selling point, perhaps just get a better driver.

With that said, I do not plan on getting an aftermarket shifter although perhaps maybe last on my list of mods to do.

But I tend to agree, build it and they will come (buy).

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
as you know i'd be interested. If it seems to not make sence, how about selling a kit to replace all of the rubber bushings in the stock shifter. I too can shift the hell out of mine with ease, but it's too soft feeling.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nobody mentioned this, but I'd bet the 6-speed will be used in other S197 Mustangs soon enough so you'd have more than just the GT500 market.
-J

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
biminiLX said:
Nobody mentioned this, but I'd bet the 6-speed will be used in other S197 Mustangs soon enough so you'd have more than just the GT500 market.
-J

yes this tranny will also be used in the 08 and beyond vettes and probably the camaros as well. is the 6060 used in the 08 viper? if the shifter can be desinged based on the tranny and not the individual car, i think you can sell many of your shifters.

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
I was very impressed with the one I drove, the really only benefit I can see is few things:

I am guessing there aren’t stops on the factory shifter (I could be wrong, can someone verify?), so getting those would be nice if you are ham fisted like me

Moving shifter location; while this car has the best shifter location (ergonomic wise), than any mustang ever created IMO, personal preferences and individual bodies sometimes need to be tailored to.

Maybe a slighter stronger spring...

But as said before it is one of the best parts on the car (the best production shifter I have ever felt in a domestic car) and not even on the radar for things you should be changing

SlowSVT

Established Member
There really is no shifting linkage on the Tremic transmission like on the older 4 speeds. Changing the shifter on my 04 only with a MWG shortened the throw but did little to take the notchiness out. My understanding is the GT500 tranny has improved shifting action over the T56. I talked to a tech over at Liberty and he stated they upgrade the thrust surfaces in the forks by replacing the nylon pads with bronze. Not sure of this since I have never split the cases on one

GT500R

Established Member
Ford Racing short shifter is 10X better then stock

comparing it to both my and my dads shelby stock vs short it is a lot better of a difference

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
GT500R said:
Ford Racing short shifter is 10X better then stock

comparing it to both my and my dads shelby stock vs short it is a lot better of a difference

Care to go into more detail? 10X sure is alot...

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Crossss said:

Ditto!

Users who are viewing this thread