Need advice on how to approach a shop about poor quality work!!!

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
Ok so about a year ago I had a local shop owner who I know pretty well and have done a lot of business with port my blower. Paid him $500. Fast forward to now, I've sold the car to another member on here and it was having issues with not making boost (would only make about 5 pounds and has a 2.76 pulley). I was sure that the issue had something to do with the egr delete. The guy that bought the car from me took the blower off to find that it had been put back together wrong causing the rotors to hit each other and also scrape against the inside of the case. So the bearings and rotors are shot and the case is gouged up so the blower is useless. I really would like to get my money back from the shop owner so I can help this guy get a new blower got the car. What would you guys do in this situation? Thanks,
Hunter

Evan5469

Established Member
I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but being as it has been over a year since you've had the work done, I think you're SOL.

Was the blower making boost while you still owned the car? Are you sure the guy you sold it to didn't mess it up in any way?

ajt9229

Established Member
Its been a year since the work and you're just now seeing a problem? You never noticed the low boost issue? I'm not saying your mechanic didn't or did do it right but for a year to go by its hard to go back after someone. I'd probably cover the cost of a used blower for $300 to the new owner and let him decide if he wants to put the money towards a ported blower already done or a stock blower. Just my .02

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
I hardly drove the car at all the whole year after the blower got ported. It just set in my garage waitin til I could put a new clutch and flywheel in it which I did about a month before I sold the car. While it was waiting on that I did the egr delete. Once I got a new clutch and flywheel in the car I started driving it again and that's when I noticed it. I never thought anything about the blower, only thing I thought of was somethin wasn't right with my egr delete. And the shop owner knows the car hasn't been driven hardly any since he ported the blower, he also did the clutch and flywheel and knew the car had just been sitting waiting on that since the old clutch was literally so smoked that the car was barely drivable. I know I may be sol but wanted to get your guys opinions before I did anything.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I agree with the others...99.99% chance you're SOL

But...squeaky wheel is the only one with a chance to get the oil...so no harm in asking. You never know, just call them or drop by in person to ask....there's no easy way to break the ice other than be honest and tell them what happened

95PGTTech

Established Member
Like others have been saying, you'd be stupid for even approaching him after a year. Even if he is 100% completely at fault, which it seems like there are many other factors at play here, unless you have some kind of written warranty on the work you are absolutely wasting your time.

The same can be said for new owner. Used car, you owe him nothing unless you signed some sort of contract. You giving him any kind of money is simply you being an overly nice guy, and might open a further can of worms.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Tell the mechanic the situation and tell him you are going to give the new owner $500 and you want him (the mechanic) to give you $250 towards the $500. If he's a stand-up guy and wants to keep your future business, he'll give you the $250, if he tells you it's not his problem and he's not paying, just tell him to not expect any future business from you and that you'll be sure to share your experience with him on facebook and elsewhere and encourage your friends and family to do the same.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Tell the mechanic the situation and tell him you are going to give the new owner $500 and you want him (the mechanic) to give you $250 towards the $500. If he's a stand-up guy and wants to keep your future business, he'll give you the $250, if he tells you it's not his problem and he's not paying, just tell him to not expect any future business from you and that you'll be sure to share your experience with him on facebook and elsewhere and encourage your friends and family to do the same.

If you are going to even consider this route, the only justified beginning would be to bring the supercharger back to the mechanic who did the work and let him evaluate it.

We are getting mechanic B's opinion of mechanic A's work done one year ago by word of mouth from customer C by word of mouth from customer D. See some degrees of separation there? (banana phone)

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
Yea I know I have the option of just sayin oh well sorry or whatever but I would never have had the car for sale if I thought or knew something was wrong with the blower and don't want to get a bad rep on here so want to do somethin to help the guy out with the situation. I'm just hesitant to even mention it to the shop owner who did the work since its been so long. And I know the guy really well so there wasn't like any warranty or anything, I just trusted it would be done right. On another note I have paid him several thousand dollars (cash) in the past year and have referred a lot of people to his shop so I would be nice if he's help me out somehow.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Yea I know I have the option of just sayin oh well sorry or whatever but I would never have had the car for sale if I thought or knew something was wrong with the blower and don't want to get a bad rep on here so want to do somethin to help the guy out with the situation. I'm just hesitant to even mention it to the shop owner who did the work since its been so long. And I know the guy really well so there wasn't like any warranty or anything, I just trusted it would be done right. On another note I have paid him several thousand dollars (cash) in the past year and have referred a lot of people to his shop so I would be nice if he's help me out somehow.

First you need to establish if he's actually at any fault here. Mechanic B's opinion of Mechanic A is completely worthless - there are way too many other possible motivations at play in this scenario.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think the best idea that was brought up, is if you plan on talking to the owner get the blower back and take it to him. If I was the shop owner and knew that I did the work a year ago, and you sold the car and now there's an issue. I'd find that hard to believe and assume it's just the new buyer trying to get more money back. I'm not saying that's what's going on but it's what I'd think.

95PGTTech

Established Member
I think the best idea that was brought up, is if you plan on talking to the owner get the blower back and take it to him. If I was the shop owner and knew that I did the work a year ago, and you sold the car and now there's an issue. I'd find that hard to believe and assume it's just the new buyer trying to get more money back. I'm not saying that's what's going on but it's what I'd think.

Or shop 2 has a used ported blower sitting on their shelf for 2 years that they are really trying to sell, etc. This industry is how I put food on my table, and for every 1 honest guy there is out there there are 3 scam artists. By and large the good guys go out of business or just run a small, undersupplied shop because of they are not willing to stomp on some people's throats to get to the top.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think the best option mentioned above was pull that blower off and take it to the shop. Explain the car has been sitting for a year and you get it running now and this is what you found. Give them the opportunity to look it over and see if they are at fault or not.

Worst case they say sorry that was not their doing (and it may not be) and send you on your way. I would think at that point you just give the guy who purchased your car $500 for a new Eaton since you said the issue existed prior to sale. You thought it was the EGR delete but turns out the blower was hosed. Seems like the honest and correct thing to do.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had mine apart..on mine the coating on rotors broke off causing some scraping ..

Has anyone sprayed anything into throttle body for cleaning..like on a normal car no biggie..ours it hoes into rotors and cleaner will take grease from bearings at rear of blower holding rotors

1320 Junkie

Established Member
How was it put together wrong? Going to play Devils advocate here: Its a crude operating system and chances of putting it back together wrong after a port job are slim (ive ported many myself)...unless they took apart the drive case which is totally uneccessary in a port job. Sounds to me either the blower wasn't cleaned properly or F.O.D. was introduced at some point...possibly by the new owner which is what the shop might say so be prepared. I just don't see how the blower could be assembled wrong. Regardless in any event I would bet they will tell you your SOL

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
Nothing you can do but take the blower off and show it to the mechanic and ask his opinion and hope for the best. I'm confused though, from one of your posts above it sounds like you drove the car and noticed there was an issue and still sold it to the new owner?

You mentioned thinking it the was the EGR, was that after the sale? If you didn't have any issues with the car previously you aren't liable for any damages. If you feel that bad, split the cost of a new or used blower with the new owner. Honestly though, its a $250-$300 blower on the used market. Nothing too serious for the new guy.

Digital

Established Member
Why did you let some no name goof ball touch your blower when there are two really good companies that do hundreds of ports a year here?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the best option mentioned above was pull that blower off and take it to the shop. Explain the car has been sitting for a year and you get it running now and this is what you found. Give them the opportunity to look it over and see if they are at fault or not.

Worst case they say sorry that was not their doing (and it may not be) and send you on your way. I would think at that point you just give the guy who purchased your car $500 for a new Eaton since you said the issue existed prior to sale. You thought it was the EGR delete but turns out the blower was hosed. Seems like the honest and correct thing to do.

I like this advice.

Hunter, I'm sure you'll be cordial with the shop owner since you're friends. I'll bet he will at least examine your blower and determine if there is any shop liability. I'm also sure you'll be understanding if he finds there is no evidence of his shop being responsible for the damage. It is shame you found out so late. It is, though, very good that you're working well with the new owner.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
It is, though, very good that you're working well with the new owner.

+1

Good Karma. :rockon:

Whatever the outcome of whatever the facts turn out to be, I like your effort to "do the right thing" even if you weren't negligent or deceptive in regards to the sale of the car.

And the great news is based on the other posts, worst case scenario, if you felt obligated, you could find a replacement blower for $300ish or give the new owner that money to go towards a blower of his choice. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread